hey all,

i was just wondering if anyone had any idea for exercises to do both with and without a guitar to improve pinky flexibility and fretting ability.

I've gotten to the point where using my pinky is very necessary and I'm decent with it but i need to get better.

thanks in advance.
Try practicing phrases and scales using only your ring and pinky finger. Basically just leave your index finger out of it for a while. Just bump your finger positions up one spot.

Learning the 5 chord shapes in major and minor may help. Getting the positions down and learning to play familiar chord progression using alternate Shapes will help. Pinky positions for the other not=so common Shapes make you have to control it well.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Do trills up and down the strings (about 5 seconds per string).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i dont know if anyone's mentioned this yet but... lay your hands on a flat surface, try to independently raise each finger in succession, i found that works pretty well. Also, before you play, rinse your hands into warm water and/or massage your hands gently before playing to increase blood circulation
--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------
------------------------------5----------6--------
--------5----------6--------------5-----------6--- (repeats)
----5-6---6---6-5---5----5-6---6---6-5----5------
------------5----------6--------------------------

This is just something I made up to get better dexterity
and finger independence. I use only the 3rd and 4th finger.
Get a rubber-band and put it around your fingers and push out this helps your fingers strengthen.
Quote by silvadolla
i dont know if anyone's mentioned this yet but... lay your hands on a flat surface, try to independently raise each finger in succession, i found that works pretty well. Also, before you play, rinse your hands into warm water and/or massage your hands gently before playing to increase blood circulation

I like this one. Its one you can literally do several times a day at work whilst on the phone. Thanks.
thank you to everyone who gave advice and exercises.

if anyone else can contribute anything else to the thread it would be greatly appreciated.
I heard Al diMeola say that he used to practice with rubber gloves on....

Can't say that I've ever tried it, but Al is lightning fast and he promotes is so...
Chromatic scales have given me pinky strength, now I need to find some pinky stretching exercises.