Alright, so I've been playing bass for about two years and I've been trying to get faster with picking. I can play fingerstyle pretty well but my friend and I have had talks of starting a power-metal band, so I'm trying to get faster and more accurate with my picking but IDK if I'm doing something wrong because I just dont seem to get any better. Any advice to get me over this plateau would be good...thanks.
Gear
-Ibanez Soundgear SRX3EXQM1 (yeah, long name)
-Fender Rumble 100

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Chances are that you are improving at such a minute rate that you grow used to what you have improved on and don't notice it. The only way to have "proof" that you have improved is to film yourself playing and one month later or X amount of time and film yourself again then compare... Did you get better or not?
teach yourself to use 3 fingers for finger style, it'll eventually be easier than double picking, and just as fast.
that's the thing with speed... it isn't really noticeable if you're improving.

But you can determine if you're playing cleanly, which is what you need to work on before you work on speed. Take a metronome, play straight 8ths at a low tempo. Get it right 5 times in a row, increase the bpm. Keep increasing until you can't play it cleanly, and keep practicing.
See, the thing is that I feel like im staying the same and Im not improving at all. Would it help to start taking lessons?
Gear
-Ibanez Soundgear SRX3EXQM1 (yeah, long name)
-Fender Rumble 100

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Quote by Benny989
See, the thing is that I feel like im staying the same and Im not improving at all. Would it help to start taking lessons?

umm idk see i thought taking lessons made you worse? jk thats a stupid question man
Quote by Benny989

Everyone kinda improves on a difrent scale
fill this out for me k?
just check the ones u can doto an extent that
you could write a song you would play infront
of a crowd without any embarisment
[ ] Slapping
[ ] Popping
[ ] Slapping and Popping together
[ ] fingerstyle with 3 fingers
[ ] playing the speed of the guitars but with fingerstyle
Quote by Benny989

Getting lessons is always a good idea.

Try and play straight 8th's to a metronome in the highest BPM you can play cleanly to, then a couple of weeks later see do it again and see if the BPM got higher.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by Reckd
umm idk see i thought taking lessons made you worse? jk thats a stupid question man

keep your ****ing attitude to yourself kid. He asked a legit question and you're just giving him lip, **** off.

To answer the question, i think lessons would be more benificial if your problem was with technique not speed. To improve your speed do as deriliumbassist said and get a metronome to work to. And always remember that speed is a byproduct of accuracy. Don't try to play stuff at 200bpm when you can't play it cleanly at 150bpm
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
^ But if he actually has a lack of speed, then technique might very well be the reason, so getting a teacher is as relevant as it always is .
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
touché but my point still stands if his speed problem is down to poor technique then he should get a teacher but if it's just down to not practicing enough a teacher will be wasted money for this exercise
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Reckd

As if any more was needed, Reckd further proves that there are never, ever any stupid questions, just unfathomably stupid people. Good job, Reckd.