I started playing bass in January this year, and recently decided to buy a grade3 (rockschool) book so that i could get some kind of gauge on my progress.

The thing is...i've learnt the three songs required after only a few days.

Is there something i'm missing here? When i went for grade3 drums i took ages to prepare for the exam.
Rockschool was never the best grading system, and since the new syllabus has been introduced, the grades are even easier. I'm currently studying for my grade 8 and it's really not that hard.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'd never had a bass lesson in my life and had a chuckle at the grade 8.
They're just that easy.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Yeah, i've self taught myself the bass, looking to go into funk/slappy stuff atm because ive spent the past 4months learning metal (and incubus, hah)
You might as well do grade 5 as I don't think a grade 3 will actualy get you anything.
Is there an actual point to this stuff or is it just wank material?

EDIT: Oh, it is college-accredited wank material.
Last edited by RockDJ at Apr 5, 2008,
You get UCAS points from grade 6 and upwards.

I wouldn't call the stuff easy, there's a great deal of composing involved as they leave you to ad lib and create your own solos and runs in grade 8, plus there's some pretty awkward time signatures, it's just not a difficult as you would expect.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
yeah, you don't get UCAS points until grade 5 (or is it 6...)

then again, grade 8 only gives you 75 points.

I don't know what UCAS points are but some colleges like you to have grade 5 if you do music.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
UCAS points are the points you need to get into university.

Hmm... how many points do most universities over there require?

I don't live in the UK, but I am curious.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Is that just in terms of music?
Quote by RockDJ
Hmm... how many points do most universities over there require?

I don't live in the UK, but I am curious.

www.ucas.co.uk

I think that's the website. Different universities ask for different points for different courses. There's no set answer. Just search for courses you're interested in, and look at what different universities say.

Quote by Ripper_66
Is that just in terms of music?

No. You get UCAS points for every A Level you do. However, some uni's ask for specific subjects and their UCAS points.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Tell me about it

How quick do you reckon I could get to Grade 5/6 or so?
Quote by .Anfield
Tell me about it

How quick do you reckon I could get to Grade 5/6 or so?

Depends on where you are at now, what are the hardest songs you can play now?
Well, Grade 6 is when you start getting UCAS points, if that's what you're doing it for.

To be honest mate, just pick up the grade 6 book, and work through it till you can play it perfect.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Sounds stupid, but I've never sat any of these grades, if I could pass, is it possible to just go in at grade 6 or something? I don't have lessons but I think I'm a pretty decent self-taught bassist.
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
Sounds stupid, but I've never sat any of these grades, if I could pass, is it possible to just go in at grade 6 or something? I don't have lessons but I think I'm a pretty decent self-taught bassist.

yeah. you can go straight in to grade 8 if you wanted.
I was playing bass for about a year when i hit the grade 5 books, 3 months and i could play every piece perfect. how i've forgotten them all coz they are pretty bland songs.

Just look at the pieces in the book, mebbe have a little play if the shop'll let you, and pick the book with the best sounding pieces, then go for that one
Wait, wait, wait. Is there something i missed? What are these "grades" that your talking about?