I hope this is the right forum...it's about electric guitar, technically?

First off, the gear,

I play an Ibanez Artcore HollowBody guitar.
I still use the amp that came with my squire start (15G Fender Frontman)
and a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion

the cables are called giglines, I think? I forget.

Currently, I'm working on trying to figure out how to get the sound to be a tad more..crisp?

Like, I listen to a lot of pop-punk and other various alt rock. Relient K, Anberlin, Something Corporate, Mae, The Rocket Summer, Fall Out Boy (sometimes), Boys Like Girls, and a few other things. I'm just trying to figure out if there are any tips anyone has for like, clearing up any sound issues. Like, playing tips. How to move my fingers if doing single line things to keep noise as low as possible? How to play powerchords to keep the excess noise down? (I keep getting extra harmonics when strumming, any advise to cut that out?) Any advice on settings for sound? I'm just curious as to others opinions, I'm not trying to emulate any one sound, really, just a certain feel. Also, I only play with my bridge pickup, I like that more treble like sound, is that bad?

Please and thank you?
....Huh? play how you want to play.... A lto of people only play with their bridge.. I do a lot of metal and I feel like I get more "crunch" when playing with my bridge pickup so hhh yeah IDK.
When playing single lines, try to press down only right before you play the note. When fretting anything, make sure to keep your fingers right before the fret. You could also try muting everything you aren't playing, but that's if you have a finger to spare.

As far as amp settings go, experiment with reducing bass or mid, or boosting treble slightly.
Quote by skywayavenue
you probably need a better amp to get a crunchier sound

YEaP: ) I have a peavey backstage and I like the sound I get from it. pretty cheap ^_^
Ahh, ok. Like, I've been playing for a little over a year, but I'm normally playing without amp, so it's a new area for me, you know? Like, there's this one lead intro to a Relient K song, and it's up and down the strings a little, like, it jumps from one string to another, but the problem when I play it (I normally don't learn covers, I just felt like knowing this line) the lower string continues to hum after I leave it...is there anyway to cut that out?
Quote by singscreams
Ahh, ok. Like, I've been playing for a little over a year, but I'm normally playing without amp, so it's a new area for me, you know? Like, there's this one lead intro to a Relient K song, and it's up and down the strings a little, like, it jumps from one string to another, but the problem when I play it (I normally don't learn covers, I just felt like knowing this line) the lower string continues to hum after I leave it...is there anyway to cut that out?

Leave your finger on the string after you release pressure, such as it mutes the string.
Alternatively, simply letting go of the string usually does stop the note.
Well, I let it go, but I guess I let it go in a way that the string vibrates a little?
Er. Yeah, try what I said, let it go a bit more slowly, keeping the motion vertical as not to accidentally do a pull-off
how long have you been playing? some of these problems can be just because you don't have enough practice
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.