i tap with my pick instead of my fingers because it's just easier to me, and when i try to use my finger, i can't get any sound out, it comes out like a muted note. but my teacher says i should only use a pick for super fast tapping. tips?
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
i'm a big believer in doing what's easiest for you even if it's unorthodox. i hate people that are so pedantic and say you must do this just because.

using a pick can get a cleaner, better sound but makes it hard to go from string to string.

using your finger (usually middle cuz it's longer and makes it easier to go back to using the pick) is what people say should be done because it makes it easier to go from string to string and if you can use multiple fingers like buckethead then yeah. you're supposedly supposed to be able to get the same sound from using your finger as a pick if you do it "right" but i think sometimes if your setup isn't that great it isn't possible.

i say, do what YOU think is best. but keep in mind i'm no expert on tapping.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
the trick with using ur finger is that when u tap on the string, u hit it a lil hard. basically just poke the string with ur fingering until u get the sound that ur looking for and then just figure out how to do it a lil more smoothly. hope this helps
personally, i used to use the pick, but now i wish i had practiced with my middle finger just because it's easier when your trying to switch from tapping to picking quickly.
Quote by guitarist_9018
the trick with using ur finger is that when u tap on the string, u hit it a lil hard. basically just poke the string with ur fingering until u get the sound that ur looking for and then just figure out how to do it a lil more smoothly. hope this helps

No. You shouldn't have to hit the string hard at all (it actually takes a very light touch).
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
If you practice tapping with your finger, try using your middle finger, try to find the sweet spot on the string somewhere in the fret where it will sound the most out of the note, after you do that repeat but after you hit the string sorta pull your finger down at the same time which will make it give off a little more noise. By pulling your finger down i mean: say if you tap the g string on any fret, right after you hit the note (still pressing on the string) kinda bend it down the slightest bit towards the b+e strings. That works just like how bending a not and pulling off is louder than doing a pull-off. Another tip, find out which pickup picks up tapping the best, for me it's the bridge.

edit: and like Archeo said above, you shouldn't have to hit hard at all to get the sound.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by guitarist_9018

And you don't poke at it, it should be a pull-off motion because that's essentially what you're doing.
whatever sounds best to you
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Using a pick will work fine for most stuff, but you'll have to use your fingers if you ever want to do multi-finger tapping licks.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Apr 5, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Using a pick will work fine for most stuff, but you'll have to use your fingers if you ever want to to multi-finger tapping licks.

like i said.

check this out: 1:15 - 1:60 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaCErlW-3p8

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by bangoodcharlote
2-minutes you mean?

I fail to see any musical application of that tapping lick, but it's got to be a lot of fun to play!

lol, yes, 2 minutes not 1:60. i know a little bit about music, not about how many seconds are in a minute! lol.

yeah there is really no musical application to it (he puts it in one of his solos and all of his live ones) but they are examples of multiple finger tapping.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Another thing to consider.

Classical guitarists have long nails, which makes it quite a bad idea to tap with their finger, if said guitarist is playing an electric.
Quote by one vision
I've never seen classical guitarists tap lol, OR use a pick

A guitarist who plays classical and electric... They need long nails for the classical, and can tap on the electric.
Use both, I find using your finger for tapped harmonics or actually, any tapping licks have an edgier tone to it, if you hit it correctly and make the note ring loud enough. as far for the pick, it would be for an amount of speed where control or tone isn't an issue. For a faster, for example, fast as hell tapping where playing with your finger couldn't be possible to achieve.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
I play classical and have nails. When I tap on the electric I use my first finger, just because the nail is a bit shorter, it allows me to get 'in there' a little better.

I don't tap very much though either.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Well, for a example, Joe Satriani I believe taps with a pick during one point of the solo of Surfing With The Alien, which gives it a fairly futuristic tone.

Then there's Vai, who does insane multistring tapping in Building The Church. Meh, whatever fits the song tbh.
i play metal and use fingertapping alot. its called that for a reason. you should use your fingers for a number of reasons. 1) you can tap at on different strings at the same time 2) when done properly you get much better sound 3) you can proceed to learn two handed taps, but only if you know how to use your fingers. if you look at any of the greats, they all use there fingers (alexi laiho comes to mind, hes the man. if you dont know him because you live under a rock listen to CHILDREN OF BODOM). you are fortunate enough to have a teacher (i was self taught), so listen to him. you dont pay him just to give you advice, you pay him so he can tell you what to do. i hope this helped, any questions email me at BATBOY420494@AOL.COM
also, if you arent getting a sound out of it, you arent tapping hard enough or arent centered enough on the fret