Hi, so i decided i want to buy my new pickup from either swineshead or irongear.

i asked both companies this question:

"hello, i would like your suggestion on a new bridge humbucker for my new washburn wi65pro.

It currently has a set of seymour duncans in it, custom custom bridge and 59 neck. i am keeping the 59 in the neck but would like to change the custom custom as it is a little too sweet for my tastes and not tight and punchy enough in the bass department.

my guitar is mahogany neck and body and set neck. it is slightly thicker than a SG shape.

I play metal mostly and need something with high output that can do leads and rhythm. sweet tone and tight punchy bass are what i am after.

what would you suggest? thanks"

The swineshead guy suggested the venom and the irongear guy suggested Hammerhead.

What do you guys think?

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_025.htm

http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/venom.shtml
Last edited by Sepulturick at Apr 5, 2008,
Never heard of irongera, but the Swineshead Venom is very, very good.

Link to both the sites, maybe?
Quote by webbtje
Never heard of irongera, but the Swineshead Venom is very, very good.

Link to both the sites, maybe?

done
If you haven't tried either pickup perhaps just comment on a Swineshead vs Irongear debate.

thanks
Quote by -MintSauce-
IronGear Hammerhead.

I use them, and they really are AMAZING.

could you tell me a bit more about them in more detail please?

also do you have any clips?

thanks
I have a Venom in my Ibanez. It's a pretty bright pickup so probably not a wise choice if you play dark, modern metal, it does have a nice tight sound though.

I don't have any experience with Irongear but the soundclips on their site are godawful.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Well.. it's super smooth, with tight as HELL bottom end (almost as compressed as my EMG 81), but it's also really responsive. You can get a tonne of treble out of it too, which makes pinches a breeze. Sustain is great too.. great pinches + badass vibrato = TEH WIN.

Seriously, I'm toying with the idea of selling my EMG set for a bunch more Hammerheads. The Hammerhead is the closest I've managed to get to active responsiveness, compression, and sustain, but in a passive.

I'd always wanted some nice passives, but I can't stand the 'Seymour Duncan tone', so I've avoided SD's. So.. great, organic qualities of a passive, with output and articulation of an active.. for £25.

You really can't lose out.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Well.. it's super smooth, with tight as HELL bottom end (almost as compressed as my EMG 81), but it's also really responsive. You can get a tonne of treble out of it too, which makes pinches a breeze. Sustain is great too.. great pinches + badass vibrato = TEH WIN.

Seriously, I'm toying with the idea of selling my EMG set for a bunch more Hammerheads. The Hammerhead is the closest I've managed to get to active responsiveness, compression, and sustain, but in a passive.

I'd always wanted some nice passives, but I can't stand the 'Seymour Duncan tone', so I've avoided SD's. So.. great, organic qualities of a passive, with output and articulation of an active.. for £25.

You really can't lose out.

How does the hammerhead compare to the steam hammer?
Although I can't comment on either pickup, I just want to say that both of those pickups have the coolest names I've ever heard.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sepulturick
How does the hammerhead compare to the steam hammer?

They're pretty much identical, but the Hammerhead is better suited for a lead pickup. The only difference is the hex bolt polepieces - the tone is identical.
Sod it, i am going for the irongear hammerhead. I know i will have it tuesday as irongears service is great.

thanks guys
Swineshead.
I have two irongear pickups in my S470 and they aren't the best, they buzz quite loudly (compared to my bloody strat! ) I'd much prefer swinesheads.
too late, i have ordered the hammerhead, i will let you all know how i get on and will hopefully get some clips done aswell. thanks
Quote by -MintSauce-
Well, my Irongears are totally silent, and I've always had my stuff next day from Irongear/Axetec. Their service is top-notch.

QFT.

Punk_Ninja- don't mean to sound patronising, but are you pickups grounded properly and your guitar shielded?
Well i got the hammerhead, however i got rid of the guitar i planned to put it in and got myself an esp ltd ec-1000 which is a great guitar.

I am now thinking, should i swap the seymour duncan JB thats in the bridge with the unopened hammerhead?

some slight problem with the JB are that it isn't quite as tight as i would like and also it can be a bit shrill sounding at times.

would the hammerhead be a better choice for me?

also i am not a massive fan of the seymour duncan 59 thats in the neck either, what should i replace that with? its quite warm sounding with nice cleans but its pretty boring and only really sounds good playing high note lead stuff. its quite muddy.

thanks
Quote by Sepulturick
Well i got the hammerhead, however i got rid of the guitar i planned to put it in and got myself an esp ltd ec-1000 which is a great guitar.

I am now thinking, should i swap the seymour duncan JB thats in the bridge with the unopened hammerhead?

some slight problem with the JB are that it isn't quite as tight as i would like and also it can be a bit shrill sounding at times.

would the hammerhead be a better choice for me?

also i am not a massive fan of the seymour duncan 59 thats in the neck either, what should i replace that with? its quite warm sounding with nice cleans but its pretty boring and only really sounds good playing high note lead stuff. its quite muddy.

thanks

I don't really like the JB/SH-4 much. I've found the Hammerhead and Steamhammer to be much hotter and more responsive.. give the Hammerhead a try in there, it's a great pickup! Also, if you don't like it, all you have to do is change it back - you have nothing to lose.
Quote by -MintSauce-
I don't really like the JB/SH-4 much. I've found the Hammerhead and Steamhammer to be much hotter and more responsive.. give the Hammerhead a try in there, it's a great pickup! Also, if you don't like it, all you have to do is change it back - you have nothing to lose.

yeah you are right. i'll do it. probably later tonight

edit:

Right i just fitted the hammerhead in place of the jb in my ec-1000. First thing to note is that the pickup looks really cool, which isn't important but still... it also seems very well made and solid.

Soundwise it is definitely more what i am after than the JB was. I prefer the £25 Hammerhead pickup to the £50+ JB which in itself is pretty impressive. The hammerhead has a lot more low end thump and bass but seemingly quite a bit less treble and high mids, considering the quite harsh nature of the JBs high end frequencies this is not a bad thing although i bet the JB cuts through the mix better for lead work? i will have to test that.

Note definiton on the irongear hammerhead is so much better than the seymour duncan JB. This was perhaps most surprising of all. The irongear sounds more organic without brittle highs and muddy lows like the JB tends to have. For modern metal and thrashy stuff the hammerhead beats the jb for me although output seems pretty equal. harmonics may be easier to get on the jb although the jb is known for being harmonically very rich.

All in all i am very pleased with the Irongear hammerhead. I am certain that Irongear pickups are at least as good as the most popular brands like Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio and i have owned just about every passive duncan capable of metal and the dimarzio x2n and breed. I have also owned a bill lawrence usa and swineshead venom and warthog in the past but the irongear is well on par with all of them and for at least half the price.

Compared to emg actives i think the irongear hammerhead compares very favourably aswell. the emgs have more output and a little more punch but the tone on the hammerhead is sweeter and warmer whilst still being 'metal'.

the clean sound of the hammerhead isn't great but its not really been made for cleans. they aint bad but not great.

will they be as good as bareknuckle and other high end hand made pickups? probably not, but even if irongear were £40+ they would still represent great value.

give them a try is all i can say, i see no reason to change this pickup for a very long time.

thanks guys
Last edited by Sepulturick at Apr 21, 2008,