Ummm i really like playing guitar and ive ben coming up with riffs chord progressions and stuff. Is it possible that i could be a good guitar player without knowing a lot a lot about all that stuff about modes and intervals and everything. Im not completely clueless but i dont have a guitar teacher and i can only teach myself so much without needing answers without annoying people online.
If you want to advance you will need some theory.

But now you don't need it.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
If you want to write stuff, it's more important to know theory than just if you're playing stuff that you didn't write.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
^ he wants to know if he can write good music without knowing "all that theory stuff" the answer is simple. yes, you can. HOWEVER learning theory is only going to help and shorten the writing time. i've said it before and i'll say it again:

if it takes you 3 weeks to write a good song, it would take someone with theoretical knowledge maybe 3 hours to a couple of days (depending on how picky they are) i've got some theory and knowledge under my belt and there are songs i have written over the YEARS (literally, i wrote one part 6 years ago, another part a couple years after that and another part a couple of months ago) and if its taken me years to get that far WITH knowledge, i would almost certainly be senile and gray before it was done if i didn't have the knowledge.

also without theory you can write good music (permitted you don't mind spending week on one song) however with theory you can write exceptional music.
Quote by bobobuns12
Ummm i really like playing guitar and ive ben coming up with riffs chord progressions and stuff. Is it possible that i could be a good guitar player without knowing a lot a lot about all that stuff about modes and intervals and everything. Im not completely clueless but i dont have a guitar teacher and i can only teach myself so much without needing answers without annoying people online.

yes its entirely possible.

Dont worry about. Keep doing what your doing and enjoy it. If you have the opportunity to take lessons and/or learn about theory in the future.... then do that if you want to.
shred is gaudy music
Your questions don't annoy us as long as you've looked through the obvious resources (my sig, theory sticky) first. Don't feel bad about asking something.
I just posted a similar response in another thread, but I think it applies to you. If you are just playing for your own enjoyment, then playing what sounds good to you is ok in and of itself. You don't need to learn what is going on theoretically. Use your ears. Music is an aural art...

That being said, if you ever aspire to play with other musicians, you will either need to learn theory OR possess the natural talent to just hear what sounds right... This is pretty rare, but some people have the genius to do it...

Read the book One Long Tune: The Life and Music of Lenny Breau. They used to call this guy the next Mozart. He could just hear things and play them. He didn't learn any theory until he was deep in his professional career. Too bad he succumbed to drugs and died at an early age.
thx ive studied some theory but i guess ill write and just learn as much i can
Quote by bobobuns12
thx ive studied some theory but i guess ill write and just learn as much i can

A lot of the basic theory is surprisingly easy to pick up, especially if you can find a knowledgeable teacher

Don't worry about asking questions, that's what forums are for!