i have a decent interface, but now i need some mics. i know this is probably a stupid question, but what some good mics? ive heard that shure SM57 is really good and afforable. are there any others?

the main thing is nice sound quality without being like 500 bucks or something. im new to recording so help would be great.

EDIT: im going to upgrade my interface soon, too. have any suggetions of a good quality interface for around $200-$400? please give some suggetions for both firewire AND USB intefaces. thanks.
Last edited by guitaristx11 at Apr 5, 2008,
for recording/micing anything but drums, the SM57 is awesome, yet only around 100$. i use it for micing myself at practice, and it works amazing. like i said, the only thing its not good at micing is drums.
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
it depends what you're looking for.

get an sm58 if you're doing vocals and that.

a 57 for micing amps and snares.

and look into condensors if you're really serious
As for the Interface, look at Presonus, M Audio, Mboxes, or ART's offerings. You probably won't need anything greater than a USB interface since I don't see any drums. If you're doing one track at a time, this ART and this Presnous are insanely versatile.

You may also want to look at Mackie's Satellite series, especially if you want to connect audio equipment to it later, like compressors or studio monitors. The Onyx preamps are very good and transparent.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Apr 5, 2008,
whoa, slow down, a shure SM57 is not 'awesome'. they are good mics, and are affordable and to be honest they are probably what i would go for, but on my music technology course last year at college the shure SM57's were the worst mics we had, for proper high quality we used condenser mics, which need draw extra power through the cable to power it (called phantom power, its like 40-50 volts or something...or 20ish....is it even in volts? haha shows how much i remember)

but yeah, the shure SM57 should be a good choice for micing up an amp if that's what you want it for, should also be ok for singing if you use it for that.
I always found the SM57 a bit boring. But if you can afford (don't know the price where you live) you should go fore a RØDE NT2A. It can be used for almost everything you can imagine!

EDIT: its 48 V for phantom
it's 48 volts blud.

i'd give you some specific condensors to look for if my music tech lecturer wasn't an eltitist classic rock faggot who bums pink floyd to much.

ahaha.
Last edited by glowskulls at Apr 5, 2008,
Quote by Fast_Fingers
As for the Interface, look at Presonus, M Audio, Mboxes, or ART's offerings. You probably won't need anything greater than a USB interface since I don't see any drums. If you're doing one track at a time, this ART and this Presnous are insanely versatile.

You may also want to look at Mackie's Satellite series, especially if you want to connect audio equipment to it later, like compressors or studio monitors. The Onyx preamps are very good and transparent.

i actually might record drums. so would it be better for me to get a firewire interface for that?
Yes, since you can adjust the levels for each bit of kit (few things are worse than overly loud cymbals). The Firestudio Project is a high quality, compact, and quite affordable interface.
All you'll need is a 1394a/Firewire 400 input, which is easily installed with a $30 card or built in most modern motherboards.
Yea everyone said the SM57 was a great mic to have when I started out and so that was a mic I picked up. Now that have a few condensers I hardly tough the 57 anymore, It just needs too much gain for some settings and without any EQ work it is a little harsh.

I prefer the sound of the 990/991 set and as with any mic, I EQ it a little.

For drums and your price range you could probably find a used PreSonus with 8 inputs which will have firewire connection.