any tips on how to get a rawer metal sound for my ezdrummer tracks? a death metal kick sound for example. how can i isolate and edit every drum sample?
Last edited by metalist86435 at Apr 8, 2008,
There is a plugin in Cubase. I forget what its called but it adds like a crackle to the audio, like its been recorded through ****ty mics or played through ****ty speakers.

Edit, I just checked, its called Grungelizer.
Put a lot of compression and a little bit of overdrive on the main drum track. Maybe make everything mono too. I have a plug-in called Blockfish that can do all three pretty well.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
EQ out all the highs, boost the mids, cut the lows a tad. In essence you want your EQ to look like a hump. Put a slight phaser with a very slow rate and spread over it, a tad of OD if you want it even rougher.
Most people in your situation would try to improve the quality of their guitar tone, but hey, who am I to question your methods?
Quote by big crouton
Most people in your situation would try to improve the quality of their guitar tone, but hey, who am I to question your methods?

I think he wants a rawer sound, and EZD does sound quite polished.

Yeah, I think it's just a question of experimenting with plugins. Try an EQ, maybe a bit of distortion, and maybe make a seperate track with loads of reverb and keep that lower in the mix.
Quote by metalist86435
any tips on how to lower the sound quality of my ezdrummer tracks? like getting a more "garage demo" kinda muffled sound? the quality is a bit too high for my guitar tone so it doesnt mix very well, even with eq-ing.

Bring down the highs a bit. If EZDrummer allows you to have multiple outputs one excellent way to "garage" a recording is to take the room mics and compressing them beyond all reason and then mixing them in behind the direct outs.

The methods mentioned - EQ, compression, distorsion - will all get the job done as well.
is it possible to get a death metal kick sound? (click-click)

edit: multiband compressor in fl studio seems to work
Last edited by metalist86435 at Apr 7, 2008,
First mix the drums as normal than bounce them to a single stereo track, to save on computer resources.

You can use a light compresion and overdrive to simulate tape saturation, then mess with EQ until you've got the low-fi sound you're after. After that a short, small-room reverb with moderate diffusion and dampened highs will help, stick it before the overdrive if you want a really grungy sound. Also try out some convolution reverbs like SiR, you can fine some interesting stereo impulses online. I used the IR from inside an acoustic guitar body to get a really dark drum sound, though it's easy to overdo this sort of thing.
Quote by metalist86435
any tips on how to lower the sound quality of my ezdrummer tracks?

Why????
Why not just improve your guitar sound?
Is it because you cannot simply "download" a good guitar sound?
I say this because anyone who legally purchased ezdrummer did it because they want real quality sounding drums...if they wanted crappy sounding drums..they would have just download free inferior drum programs instead of shelling out a good amount of cash for excellent quality drum sounds,just to make them sound crappy!

Quote by big crouton

No sh*t right?....thats what im talking about!
Sorry, i guess my thread came out kinda wrong.

Well, it's my music and my ezdrummer. I can do what i want with it. But its not like im trying to record grunge or crust punk, i just need a bit rawer metal sound. And my guitar tone isn't bad in terms of quality, it just sounds trashier.

edit: uploaded a sample on my profile (yes, thats amplitube so you are right, i cant download a better guitar sound )

this here is what i would like my drums to sound like: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=587437
Last edited by metalist86435 at Apr 8, 2008,
Psychoman, you're an absolute tool. Ever cross your mind that some people might actually LIKE a lo-fi sound?
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Psychoman, you're an absolute tool. Ever cross your mind that some people might actually LIKE a lo-fi sound?

Your the tool buddy,unless you were born in the 70's, early 80's,I doubt you would want a lo-fi sound jackass!
Quote by PsychomanZ
Your the tool buddy,unless you were born in the 70's, early 80's,I doubt you would want a lo-fi sound jackass!

Jesus Christ. All you're doing here is solidifying your idiocy.
I rarely see flaming in the R&R section, lets try to keep it that way mmmk?
Yeah, fair dooz. It is very uncommon here and it wasn't really needed.
Quote by fridge_raider
Yeah, fair dooz. It is very uncommon here and it wasn't really needed.

Yeah seens how your the one who started it...everyone else gave some opinions and tricks trying to help out the guy...your the only one that came in here...talked crap,then left..no helping..just plain sh*t talking.
A) Why carry it on when it wasn't needed ?

B) I didn't give any tips because the stuff I would have said had already been recommended.

C) I use this forum all the time trying to help people out, and all I saw you do in this thread is criticise the threadstarters methods, without offering any kind of help of your own.

Anyway, I'm not starting a flaming war, so that's the last I'll be posting in this thread.