Hey,

I really need to buy a decent 16 ohm 212 cab for my amp. Any ideas?

Amp: Peavey Valveking
Price: <£350 preferred
Preferences: Could be bought of GAK.co.uk preferred.

Thanks,
16 Ohm? Are you running Stereo?

I own a Harley Benton g212 Vintage. It is really ****ing awesome! It feels sturdier than a Marshall 1936. Its 8Ohms mono however

What valveking you have?
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Idea: look for empty cab. Look for speakers. Put together.

But really, the only company I can think of for 16 ohm cabs is Avatar and Orange, and Avatar's a no no for you. Ssorry.
The Orange 212 is £389. If you can stretch your budget a little bit you won't have a decent 2x12, you'll have a great one. The fact that the Peavey Classic sells for just £10 less is an absolute crime.

There's really nothing else on GAK.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Why not just upgrade the amp's speaker?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I was looking at the orange cab...I know it sounds childish, but the colour put me off. Oh well, I guess I'll get that one, it has Vintage 30s after all. Better start saving the extra £40

Quote by MrCarrot
Why not just upgrade the amp's speaker?

Long story...

Condensed version is I've mismatched the V30 in my amp. I bought the 8Ohm version instead of the 16 Ohm. Peavey say my amp can take this quite easily, but it runs hotter. I actually like having the mismatch, it reduces my headroom so that I can actually use the amp while practising at home. However at gigs its going to run too hot to survive, and I'll need the headroom a bit more, so I'm buying a 212 for use at gigs and band practise, while keeping the mismatched speaker for bedroom practise.

EDIT: And on the plus side, if I ever upgrade my amp (not in the near future, but If I upgrade I will buy a head) I'll already have the cab.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Apr 5, 2008,
You're going to laugh at me...But the speaker seller around here and I sort of had a misunderstanding and now he refuses to sell me anything. So I'd really prefer to have something already made up.
Well if you must get a cab, I strongly recommend www.thomann.de

Good prices, anything over £100 ships free to UK (not like GAK) they're trustworthy, I've bought many pedals off there, efficient, no added VAT or Tax, just a generally good service. Beat GAK on some things, lose to them on some prices.

There's a one real good, cheap option for you:
Harley Benton 2x12 - the cheapest you will find a pair of Vintage 30s in a cab. They will only run mono though, IE one at a time, at 16 ohms. So in use it will only be a 1x12, but at the correct impedance.
Last edited by MrCarrot at Apr 5, 2008,
Quote by bartdevil_metal
You're going to laugh at me...But the speaker seller around here and I sort of had a misunderstanding and now he refuses to sell me anything. So I'd really prefer to have something already made up.

Online?
Yeah, he is online. I don't know anywhere else that sells speakers apart from this guy. And plus, my record with speakers isn't that good...I really don't know all that much about how to actually wire them up. I mean I can wire up 1 speaker because it's literally connecting two wires, but I don't know how to wire up 2 or 4 etc.
Quote by MrCarrot
Well if you must get a cab, I strongly recommend www.thomann.de

Good prices, anything over £100 ships free to UK (not like GAK) they're trustworthy, I've bought many pedals off there, efficient, no added VAT or Tax, just a generally good service. Beat GAK on some things, lose to them on some prices.

There's a one real good, cheap option for you:
Harley Benton 2x12 - the cheapest you will find a pair of Vintage 30s in a cab. They will only run mono though, IE one at a time, at 16 ohms. So in use it will only be a 1x12, but at the correct impedance.

Did you know that the Orange cab mentioned earlier is almost £200 more on Thomann than on GAK?

Also, can you explain more about the "stereo" setup that people have mentioned? I don't really understand what you mean in the last part.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Did you know that the Orange cab mentioned earlier is almost £200 more on Thomann than on GAK?

Also, can you explain more about the "stereo" setup that people have mentioned? I don't really understand what you mean in the last part.
Yes, because GAK are English, Orange is English, Thomann is German. Hence why I said they beat GAK for some things and GAK are better for others...

And the stereo setup on the cxab means you can either run both of the speakers at 8 ohms, or each speaker individually at 16 oohms, with different inputs presumably.
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Stereo means the signal is separated and ran into the speakers separately, if you only plug in one input on stereo you only hear one speaker
So if I bought that Harley Benton Cab, only one speaker would work?

Edit: And sorry I didn't read your post properly MrCarrot .
Yeah, I think it's the Orange for me. I really don't see the point of paying for a speaker I'm never going to use (unless I buy two 16 Ohm amp heads and A/B them through the same Cab).
The Orange is a great cab. If you want to get out cheap, the Vox on Thomann is pretty decent for a lot less money.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by perkristian876
16 Ohm? Are you running Stereo?

I own a Harley Benton g212 Vintage. It is really ****ing awesome! It feels sturdier than a Marshall 1936. Its 8Ohms mono however

What valveking you have?

Is it plywood or MDF?
Quote by slatsmania
The Orange is a great cab. If you want to get out cheap, the Vox on Thomann is pretty decent for a lot less money.

Nah, I don't want to cheap out on gear any more. You say the orange is good, and its 16 Ohms. That's good enough for me. Oh yeah, and it has V30s lol. Thanks a lot guys.