Seems to me that it could be an easy decision...

You have the material, cut the record, you don't, release a half-album.

The playing out has remained dormant--with the exception of a competition--on my band's part for a little over two months.

We have collectively made the decision to put shows off, in order to provide the time--the HUGE amounts of time--needed to record.

However, I do feel differently at times, it really...sucks, for lack of a better word, not playing out when you know that if you put effort into it, you could certainly get a show.

So I'm earnestly asking, an LP or an EP?

The pros and cons, from another POV.

EDIT: btw--Myspace.com here's how we sound, for an example.
Last edited by epitaph0x at Apr 5, 2008,
LP: Imo should have been worked on for a LONG period of time, should be something the band strives to make the best it can be. If you are a new band and have only been together for say in the the 1 year area this is not for you imo. I know if I get a new bands cd I might not have the patience to listen to all 12 or so tracks ESPECIALLY if all the tracks haven't been worked on the same amount to make the whole cd good.

Basically when I think of a LP I think of a band working to make EVERY song a hit on that cd, which is what makes a LP to me.

EP: I think you should go this way. By doing a EP you have around 6 or so song out in the open for people judge and you guys as a band have got some creative juices out in the air to see how you flow together and to see how a LP will go when you attempt to write one. People will have slightly heard of you by the time a LP comes out so people are more open to listening to the whole thing without turning it off saying "this is just another **** band that will never make anything else" Also if you wait you will A. save money on recording B. Not have to work as hard on so many songs but instead keep you focus on the 6 or so on the record and make them as good as you ****ing can.

Sorry for the walls of text, hope it helps ya though I wanna hear whatever you decide to do.
I may have them mixed up,

but I'm pretty sure that an LP is a half-record, kind of like a demo with studio quality, and an EP is a full length album.

The question here is, to make it a little more clear, would it be a better idea to cut a half-album, and play shows, or kick it into no-show mode and drive for the complete?

Either way, I do realize that we'd still have to finish the album, but I figured keep all of the same song on there, put the newly recorded one's, and keep the same price of the half album.

Aw hell, I'd personally give em' out for free, haha

you can check out what we have already, and what I think would go well on the EP here:
myspace.com/tanicuspeoria

EDIT: yep, had em' mixed up, my apologies!
Quote by Guitarfreak777
LP: Imo should have been worked on for a LONG period of time, should be something the band strives to make the best it can be. If you are a new band and have only been together for say in the the 1 year area this is not for you imo. I know if I get a new bands cd I might not have the patience to listen to all 12 or so tracks ESPECIALLY if all the tracks haven't been worked on the same amount to make the whole cd good.

Basically when I think of a LP I think of a band working to make EVERY song a hit on that cd, which is what makes a LP to me.

EP: I think you should go this way. By doing a EP you have around 6 or so song out in the open for people judge and you guys as a band have got some creative juices out in the air to see how you flow together and to see how a LP will go when you attempt to write one. People will have slightly heard of you by the time a LP comes out so people are more open to listening to the whole thing without turning it off saying "this is just another **** band that will never make anything else" Also if you wait you will A. save money on recording B. Not have to work as hard on so many songs but instead keep you focus on the 6 or so on the record and make them as good as you ****ing can.

Sorry for the walls of text, hope it helps ya though I wanna hear whatever you decide to do.

ha,
brilliant explanation.

I agree with you entirely,

particularly on what you said about people listening to us.
I do think that if I picked up a band's CD and it had 10-12 songs on it,
I may not have the patience to listen to every song,

and as the band who produced the record, I'd be royally PISSED if any song was merely overlooked, considering I've spent so much time on it...

thanks btw.

EDIT:I need to go about on how to convince the guys to do this, their argument is: "we'd have to do it anyways"
Shows promote the band and the music and shows also give you a chance to give away/sell your LP/EP. How much material do you have right now that you would call concrete?
Quote by colohue
Shows promote the band and the music and shows also give you a chance to give away/sell your LP/EP. How much material do you have right now that you would call concrete?

True,

We have 5 songs completely done, and 6-7 songs that need to be re-recorded/or mixed.

We have spent a good amount on time on those five songs, though.
Then in no way do you have the material for an LP. Record these songs and get out there to promote them. Otherwise some of your band or all of it will end up making not so great songs to try and fill out the track list.
Quote by colohue
Then in no way do you have the material for an LP. Record these songs and get out there to promote them. Otherwise some of your band or all of it will end up making not so great songs to try and fill out the track list.

I was asking if we should take the time to record the songs opposed to cutting what we have.

ha

I agree though.
So far sounds like pretty good stuff man, shouldn't be to hard to get people to listen to it. Makes me wish I had some good bands in my area XD.

How old are all of you btw?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
So far sounds like pretty good stuff man, shouldn't be to hard to get people to listen to it. Makes me wish I had some good bands in my area XD.

How old are all of you btw?

thanks.

we are all 16, minus the drummer, he's 17.

actually,I'll be 17 on the 20th.

we've been together for about 7-8 months.
Cool cool, then as I said before since you haven't been together that long EP is def the way to go.