i've been teaching myself how to arpeggio and i grasped the left hand movements (right-handed guitarist) it's just muting the strings properly. it needs to sound clean from note to note. i have learned "arpeggios from hell (y.j.m.)" or at least the chorus, and i can't get it to sound clean enough. of course, it sounds like i don't know what i'm doing, these are just words afterall.

so here is the question.

does the quality of the strings make that much of a difference in how these muted notes sound; could muting outweigh the factor of sh**ty old strings?
Last edited by morte deus at Apr 5, 2008,
You're talking about sweep picking. While arps can be played with the sweeping technique, they do not have to be.

I'm a strong believer in "It ain't the arrow" theory, but if you're just learning the technique, your skills should not be expected to overcome terrible equipment.
Quality of strings, I dunno, I used to use 9's, they were decent for sweeping, but most other stuff, they're just too flimsy, I say try 10's and 9's back and forth and see which is better, the rule is the heavier the string the more tone you get, so you decide I guess.

/run-on sentence
i'll take that note on the strings, size that is, thank you.

but damn, miss, don't take me as a fool. i know about arpeggios, i'm just asking about strings. i haven't changed them in about 6 months and i'm broke haha.

just wondering if i'm muting the notes correctly.