today i went jamming wit few of my friends and i realised dat my picking style is completely different with them... izit ok if i place my right hand"s finger on the place near the pickup switch n volume pot? while my thumb n my 1st finger holding the pick? sum of my friend juz place their hand near the bridge to pick... i tried dat n i found dat my style provide me a more steady n accurate picking.. is there any problem with my picking style? im afraid dat i building up another bad habit..
Quote by KonX
today i went jamming wit few of my friends and i realised dat my picking style is completely different with them... izit ok if i place my right hand"s finger on the place near the pickup switch n volume pot? while my thumb n my 1st finger holding the pick? sum of my friend juz place their hand near the bridge to pick... i tried dat n i found dat my style provide me a more steady n accurate picking.. is there any problem with my picking style? im afraid dat i building up another bad habit..

It takes more concentration to spell the "cool"/"easy" way then just spelling the words the way they are supposed to be spelled. Ugh...kids these days. I wonder if you accidentally spelt "dat" correctly and then went back in changed it in hopes of being more cool.
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC1000 (w/ EMG 81 and 60)
ESP/LTD H500 (w/SD Custom 5 and 59)
Fender MIM Strat (basically my first. Never play it.)
Traynor YCV80 4x10
Peavey 6505 2x12 combo

Half Stacks are OVER-Rated
I lock my pinky under my bridge pickup and let the meat of my palm rest on my bridge and just slide it forward a bit for palm mute...

but everyone plays differently
The thing about electric guitar is that since it's a relatively new instrument there are not set rules for it. And each picking technique has it's own advantages and disadvantages. But once you get used to one stick with it. And yes every guitarist holds a pick in a different way, every guitarist holds the neck in a different way, every guitarist has their strap length different..... etc. you get the point.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by Simonwalker
The thing about electric guitar is that since it's a relatively new instrument there are not set rules for it. And each picking technique has it's own advantages and disadvantages. But once you get used to one stick with it. And yes every guitarist holds a pick in a different way, every guitarist holds the neck in a different way, every guitarist has their strap length different..... etc. you get the point.

You do realise that it's not the only thing that's played with a pick.

And guitars have existed for years. Electric guitars have been around since the 1930's, and already we've developped a load of standard techniques, which haven't been practiced that much before.

Stuff like harmonics, sweep picking, whammy bar action, two-handed legato etc.
I don't think it matters, if it works adequately for you. I myself tend to curl my picking hand up near the neck pickup...dunno why, it works well enough for me though.
Quote by sashki
You do realise that it's not the only thing that's played with a pick.

And guitars have existed for years. Electric guitars have been around since the 1930's, and already we've developped a load of standard techniques, which haven't been practiced that much before.

Stuff like harmonics, sweep picking, whammy bar action, two-handed legato etc.

Yes I do realise that it's not the only thing that is played with a pick. But it is an instrument that went far away from what were considered normal "tones" before.
What I'm meaning is that if you go to a teacher you can try and adopt his techniques for stuff like how to hold a pick but you will never do it the exact same.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
thx alot guys.. but i wonder is there any1 day can actually post a picture of the picking style they using?
I have gone through many different picking techniques. When I began sweeping, I realized it would be easier to sweep if i held the pick a certain way. Then I began using harmonics, and realize that they were almost impossible to do, with the way I was holding the pick. Right now I have developed a technique that may be considered wrong, but which allows me to mute, string skip, sweep, alternate pick, and more with ease, and with incredible speed, all clean picked.

In other words the standards/rules, are only for the basic picking forms. If you wanna develop many picking forms its best that you arrange your picking for the most comfort.
emm.. so i guess the conclusion is i muz stick with the style that i feel comfortable with and develop my own style?
The conclusion is: Take some time to analyze your picking technique. Go very slowly, examining closely any flaws or general things that might be holding you back. If you find them, eliminate them by practicing very slowly, then build up to speed with a smooth and tension-free technique. Watch some videos such as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khs0Wl7Hvas and then use logic as to what would work best for you, using basic proven techniques.

So yes it is good to see what works for you, but try to follow basic guidelines such as not tensing up, not using your whole arm to pick, keeping your hand in as smooth and tension-free a position as possible.
Serious.. Does it matter where you pick?

I usually pick at the 15-19th fret for sweeping
or anything
and I pick with the side of the pick not the real pointy end