I want to record myself soloing over some songs.

Im using audacity and a cheep mixer from my guitar. now, Is their anyway to record myself as the track itself is playing through audacity (or any other recommended software) or do i have to record myself, import the song and then line them up by hand?

thanks!!
Quote by somekid413
I want to record myself soloing over some songs.

Im using audacity and a cheep mixer from my guitar. now, Is their anyway to record myself as the track itself is playing through audacity (or any other recommended software) or do i have to record myself, import the song and then line them up by hand?

thanks!!

Open the backing track in Audacity. Check "Play other tracks while recording a new one.". Also, uncheck "Software playthrough" (it's probably unchecked already tho). They're both under Edit -> Preferences -> Audio I/O. Now you should hear the track while you're recording.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I think you've missed the point of 'multitrack' recording slightly.

. I'm not sure whether Audacity only works by overdubbing,so try REAPER if you want a free (well, technically),full featured multitrack recorder. Anyway, import the song into whatever editor you decide to use, then set up a new track alongside it and arm it for recording. Press play+record, then - as Zappa might say - shut up and play yer' guitar...
Quote by kyle62
I think you've missed the point of 'multitrack' recording slightly.

. I'm not sure whether Audacity only works by overdubbing,so try REAPER if you want a free (well, technically),full featured multitrack recorder. Anyway, import the song into whatever editor you decide to use, then set up a new track alongside it and arm it for recording. Press play+record, then - as Zappa might say - shut up and play yer' guitar...

Actually, I don't know how to overdub using Audacity. It always creates a new track when you click Record.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Unless I am missing the point, isn't that what you want to happen? You would record your guitar onto the new track while the other track/tracks are playing. This way you can jam to the original track. You can mixdown all the tracks (including your new track(s) if you desire. This will create a new track/song with everything.

Quote by Fama
Actually, I don't know how to overdub using Audacity. It always creates a new track when you click Record.
Quote by damnedone
Unless I am missing the point, isn't that what you want to happen? You would record your guitar onto the new track while the other track/tracks are playing. This way you can jam to the original track. You can mixdown all the tracks (including your new track(s) if you desire. This will create a new track/song with everything.

Yeah, I believe that's exactly what he wants. I was replying to kyle62.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by Fama
It works for me. I didn't have to change anything. Theres an example on my profile. It works really good.
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
It works for me. I didn't have to change anything. Theres an example on my profile. It works really good.

Well yeah, it works great for me too. I don't want to overwrite any tracks when recording. But I'm not sure how to do it (if it's possible) either.
Quote by Lunchbox362