learn solos from other peoples songs, why sit there and learn a long solo note for note? surely improvising your own scales would be a lot more productive? does anyone else not learn tabbed solos or am i just crazy?
I don't think there's anything wrong with internalizing someone else's mojo.
Wanderlei war wagon.
i don't think there is a problem with learning other peoples solos

i mean its like asking what the point is to learn other peoples songs
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
Other peoples solos stand as a good guide to how you can shape your own... Those solos have certain licks and riffs that you might want to incorporate your own... theres really no harm in wanting to expand your library of riffs...
Quote by magicjoe13
why sit there and learn a long solo note for note?

It's good practice. Especially if you take the time get the properly noted tab
(with rhythm) book and work it out with proper counting to a metronome. Generally,
that's too painstaking for most. Working it out by ear is good ear practice.
However, it still helps to compare what you figure out to someone who has good
transciption skills.

Quote by magicjoe13
surely improvising your own scales would be a lot more productive?

That can be very productive too. A lot depends on your skill level and how well you
know how to practice scales. The danger of "just improvising scales" is that you'll
just keep doing the same stuff over and over.

Quote by magicjoe13

does anyone else not learn tabbed solos or am i just crazy?

You might be crazy anyway

I only rarely do now. Occaisonally if I want a bit more insight into someone's playing.
Mostly I work on scales and how I can get new ideas to show up in improvising.
I just learn the solos because I want to learn a song in its entirety, not just a couple of licks throughout the song.
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
I normally don't learn other people's stuff unless I know it'll help me improve my technique. So much harder stuff like Dream Theater and all that.
If you catalog your knowledge and use phrases and patterns that you like and transpose and weave them into your own playing style it's an easy way to start building your "arsenal" so to speak.

So to me learning the notes takes a back seat to learning phrases and ideas.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Quote by magicjoe13
learn solos from other peoples songs, why sit there and learn a long solo note for note? surely improvising your own scales would be a lot more productive? does anyone else not learn tabbed solos or am i just crazy?

why play "other peoples music" on the guitar?

- its fun & inspiring
- you learn stuff

btw I dont see it as learning "other peoples music". I just see it as learning / playing music.
its something I enjoy very much.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 5, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You learn a lot about phrasing by studying the music of your heroes. While improvising is fun, you've got to learn how to do it first.

+1
bangoodcharlotte, you speak the truth.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
To broaden your musical horizons and lead playing potential.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You learn a lot about phrasing by studying the music of your heroes.

maybe thats why i never saw it productive to learn solos, all my heros are on the compositional side of things and not 'look what my fingers just did'.

i agree with OP. patterns and phrases, i see no originality in that. how can you talk through somebody else's voice.
Quote by Sabaren
maybe thats why i never saw it productive to learn solos, all my heros are on the compositional side of things and not 'look what my fingers just did'.

i agree with OP. patterns and phrases, i see no originality in that. how can you talk through somebody else's voice.

It's using someone else's words, not their voice. It's like acting in a Shakespeare play and making the character of Romeo your own. Sure, he's been played by thousands of people, but nobody can do it the same way as you.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I understand what you mean but if you never learnt at least parts of other people's songs you wouldn't have many influences or a style of playing. Even hugely creative/experimental guitar players take huge inspiration from somewhere and develop a style from musicians they like.

I don't understand why people take so much time to learn Vai and Satriani songs, must take a long long time when making up your own stuff is far more rewarding.

Did they compose those solos? I thought so.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Sabaren

you wont be any less original by learning music thats already been written.

Whether your learning your favorite solo, or learning theory from a book..... your still learning from someone else........ doesnt really matter whether its someones music, or something they wrote in a book.

When you learn to talk.... .you 1st learn by imitating others. eventually though you speak with your own voice..... you use the same words that other people use, the same sentences.... but yet you still have your own voice. Music is no different in that regard.
shred is gaudy music
I usually improvise my own solos when I play to albums, but if a song has a solo I really like, I'll learn it.
Maybe it's just me, but some songs have signature solos and don't sound right without them.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by magicjoe13

The same reason authors will read and study other peoples books.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com