but i cant decide between a mark hoppus signature P/J bass or a epiphone thunderbird.

i play mostly punk and jazz but after a gig i played last night (links once my friend edits the video) i was asked by one of my friends bands to play bass for them so their bassist could move to rhythm guitar. they play a lot of classic rock, alternative, a little bit of metal, and some punk. but they also play bigger gigs than my band so this bass would need to be versatile and durable

in the fender i like the feel of a jazz body and the P neck makes fretting easier. i like the epi's tone and the feel while fingerpicking. i can slap fairly well on both and just cant make a decision.

i know its an epiphone but they are like gibsons with worse hardware, unlike squier who is nowhere close to fender despite them being a subdivision. and just because its a mark hoppus bass doesnt mean it sucks just because he isnt the most talented bassist.

so...what do you guys think would be a better bass for me?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Epiphones are CERTAINLY not "Gibsons just with worse hardware"

The bass that's best for you is the one you like best. Don't ask an internet forum to make the decision for you.

i know that but i couldnt come up with a better wording...what i mean is like epiphone doesnt sacrifice quality like squier does. like a high end epiphone could live up to a low end gibson.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Quote by burgurhead1812
i know that but i couldnt come up with a better wording...what i mean is like epiphone doesnt sacrifice quality like squier does. like a high end epiphone could live up to a low end gibson.

Epiphone quality control and general quality on their basses is shocking (IMO)

And the Mark Hoppus sig isn't that great. Look at (non sig) similar basses for the price. You can get better for that £400 to fit your needs.
No. They really can't. Epiphone have POOR quality control.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
The best suggestion is to go hit up a local shop. Just play. then pick the one that fits you.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
congratulations you have it so arse backwards its hilarious

the squier vintage modified basses are comparable to fender MIM basses and are sometimes described as better

and as derilium said, epis are not gibsons with worse hardware. Epis are poorly made gibson lookalikes and i say lookalikes because that and the body wood (sometimes) are the only things in common they have

also neither of those basses are good for jazz or classic rock
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
congratulations you have it so arse backwards its hilarious

the squier vintage modified basses are comparable to fender MIM basses and are sometimes described as better

and as derilium said, epis are not gibsons with worse hardware. Epis are poorly made gibson lookalikes and i say lookalikes because that and the body wood (sometimes) are the only things in common they have

also neither of those basses are good for jazz or classic rock

hit the nail on the head, way to go.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Quote by burgurhead1812

this man is no liar.
Gibson bass=crappy for the price they are
Epiphone bass=just plain crappy
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
You say you want your bass to be versatile. The Mark Hoppus bass is not quite so versatile. It's only got the one knob. Not a whole lot of control.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
I personally wouldnt go for any.
However its not me buying so as the guys above have said, just hit up your local shop and try everything there.
Which ever you like the most get. Easy.
Right,

I wanted a Hoppus bass, and it was the only bass that I wanted (i.e. didn't want a Jazz etc.), but I ended up getting a Precision. Mainly because the quality is better (mine is an American, oppsed to a Mexican), there are more tonal possibilities than the MH(even more if you have the S-1 like mine), and it can fit in better settings easier. I sill want the MH through, but make sure you have a good enough bass to fit in the settings the Hoppus won't.

Do you have a bass atm, and if yes, which one?
I think he has confused the quality control between epiphones guitars and basses. High end epiphone guitars, with a little tweaking and changing of the pu's can sound just as good as a standard gibson. Unfortunatley their basses are just horrible and lack quality control and value for money
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by bazz_aaron
I think he has confused the quality control between epiphones guitars and basses. High end epiphone guitars, with a little tweaking and changing of the pu's can sound just as good as a standard gibson. Unfortunatley their basses are just horrible and lack quality control and value for money

That is true, Epiphone guitars are looked on as great instruments, while Squier guitars are looked on as starter instruments. It is the other way around with basses, Epiphone basses are looked upon as mistake purchases (due to impulse buying), while many squier basses are extremely respectable.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Unless you're doing a blink cover band, don't get the MH.

Unless you want to get laughed at, don't get the Thunderbird.

I know the necks on the Jazz 5ers are as wide as the Precision 5ers, and I can't recall the name right now but there are Jazz bodies with Precision necks.

protip: both necks fit both bodies, if you want it that much.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?