I bought a cheap Warlock off eBay for a little project last week and everything actually looks pretty good (neck is in great shape, hardware is decent) but the second fret got gnashed pretty bad by the trash that owned this instrument before me.

Here's what I'm dealing with:

I doubt repair is possible, so I'll most likely have to replace it. Should I just pop that fret or refret the whole board? I have never done a re-fret but I'm game for learning and won't cry if this project doesn't turn out perfectly. The other frets are ok, but the 11th fret is a bit loose (I can always glue that puppy down if needed.)

I've been ready a book and went through a few web pages that discuss refretting, it doesn't look too difficult and the wire is inexpensive. I'm thinking the hammer method is the way to go for those that don't plan on doing this too often.
Weird damage.
Replacing only this one fret and perhaps the other is the road I would take. Properly fitting a new fret is not particularly difficult, but requires a lot of tedious and time consuming labour. For an unbinded neck like this and without using special tools, thirty to fourty minutes for every fret would be good progress. The situation must be pretty desperate to take up this job not once or twice, but twenty two or more times in row.
It wouldn't make your guitar any better either. If necessary, you can sand down and shape the crowns of the new frets to match the wear of the others.
That's how the pros do it too.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Weird damage.
Replacing only this one fret and perhaps the other is the road I would take. Properly fitting a new fret is not particularly difficult, but requires a lot of tedious and time consuming labour. For an unbinded neck like this and without using special tools, thirty to fourty minutes for every fret would be good progress. The situation must be pretty desperate to take up this job not once or twice, but twenty two or more times in row.
It wouldn't make your guitar any better either. If necessary, you can sand down and shape the crowns of the new frets to match the wear of the others.
That's how the pros do it too.

Also you need to make sure they are the same size as the other frets, otherwise, it might fret out.
Sweet, thanks for the advice. I'll take the measurements of the good frets tonight and order in some new wire. The other frets look pretty good so I'll just dress the new ones to match.

Some of the material I've read on re-fretting also mentions that putting new frets in can cause the neck to bend out of shape. Does this apply to limited replacement, replacing a whole board's worth, or adding frets to a virgin fingerboard?

Now I need to find a way to get the smell of someone who smokes two packs of glove cigarettes a day out of the wood.

*edit: just watched the videos thedonutman posted in the 7-string neck-through V thread and I'm feeling much better about the process of knocking the new ones in.
Last edited by uRizen at Apr 5, 2008,