Poll: Do ya need the muisc theory and standard notation to write good songs and be great
Poll Options
View poll results: Do ya need the muisc theory and standard notation to write good songs and be great
Yes You Do Need it
43 51%
Nope i dont think so... and i'm right
41 49%
Voters: 84.
Page 1 of 2
Just because you don't know Standard Notation doesn't mean you don't know theory. The least a guitarist could do to become a great guitarist is learn their chord structures and shapes, basic scales, and techniques. But it's much better to have an extensive knowledge of music theory in reserve, to make certain you're not just writing the same damn songs as everyone else.

I'd say that the bare minimum is to know your chord shapes up to at least major and minor sevenths and how to sight-read and write tablatures.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
no theory is needed to write rock just something simple that sounds cool but if u want to write good songs and are having trouble theory would help.
You don't need it, but it'll sure help you speed up the process.
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
if you want to be 'greater' then everyone else then you should learn everything
actually i don need any thoery.. ican use some unknown new invented chords... use some strange scales... but have good lyrics with a really good idea... and have cool solos and cool rhythm as well...
i don't even need to write donw my songs i can remember it at least... right?
i dont know any theory really, i know the rules of the fretboard, which i guess is based on theory, but i dont know the theory behind it. i know what each note on the 'board is, but thats from experience more than theory. and i've been commended many times on the songs that i write, its just getting a feel for it, and to me it doesn't matter why it sounds good, but it does matter if it does sound good.
its just a feel and an ear, and you dont need theory, but it can help.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by Lucky#Slevin
You don't need it, but it'll sure help you speed up the process.

Definetly, I wish I would've learned more music theory earlier on in my guitar playing.
i'm 100% sure this thread has been raped but i will just say: to write a good song you don't need theory; music theory can help you A LOT though. to be a great player on the other hand, you do need theory. a great player would imply a well-roundedness, knowledgeability (is that a word? lol), and virtuosity and you wouldn't be that w/o theory.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by vigenharutyunya
actually i don need any thoery.. ican use some unknown new invented chords... use some strange scales... but have good lyrics with a really good idea... and have cool solos and cool rhythm as well...
i don't even need to write donw my songs i can remember it at least... right?

even if you "invent" new chords (which is basically impossible) you're still gonna apply music theory to your songs whether you know it or not. Any musical information you learn or create and then retain for later use and application is, in a sense, music theory. So don't say you don't need it
Keep the change, pimps don't jangle
jimmi hendrix and the beatles, are just 2 examples of people whu knew theory but couldn't read, and you can invent new chords, theres already a name for it, if you play it, we only write down and use so many cuase they are the ones that sound good.
wether you know it or not, you use musical theory, intarvals(spaces between notes),rests, chords.
theory essentually, is a refrence for wat sounds good and works well with other things, it explains how and why, and is always changing.
now... STFU and learn your theory young nooblet
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
To play blues-rock, I think you just need to have a good ear and be able to find the key you're in to play the minor pentatonic/blues scale.
you dont need it.
the real question is ..... do you want to learn it? if the answer is yes.... then learn it
shred is gaudy music
Theory helps. But in all honesty most rock generally isn't about the guitar so much as it is the experience overall, so besides holding the song together you won't be doing much anyway. And regarding your comment on inventing unknown chords.... were you the guy that made Aminor? Or maybe you came up with Gb?
I've not the time nor cutting wit necessary to provide a catchy signature. *adjusts monocle*
I know a guy with a gold record on his wall and a Juno award (Canada's version of the Grammys) nomination who knows NO theory. He has, instead, an amazing ear, a great sense of melody, and a knack for catchy arrangements.

I know another guy (www.planethelix.com) with, I think three platinum albums and a few gold albums who has toured with bands like Kiss who I'm pretty sure didn't learn theory until later in life. He was one of the principal songwriters, btw.

For the record, I am a very strong advocate of learning theory because I honestly feel it speeds up a LOT of things that you do, but you don't NEED it to write good songs.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Theres no drawbacks to learning it. It will help you be a better player if you know it. Therefore there is no rational reason not to learn theory.
Even less so, in terms of writing songs. It's useful, but not for that.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

I don't really get why there is so much debate about theory. For me personally, learnming theory has been a great help, but it's not a prerequisite for writing good music. People who argue against learning theory because "Hendrix didn't know any theory" or whatever are ****ing stupid in my opinion.

No one has ever become a lesser musician by learning theory.
Quote by axemanchris
I know a guy with a gold record on his wall and a Juno award (Canada's version of the Grammys) nomination who knows NO theory. He has, instead, an amazing ear, a great sense of melody, and a knack for catchy arrangements.

I know another guy (www.planethelix.com) with, I think three platinum albums and a few gold albums who has toured with bands like Kiss who I'm pretty sure didn't learn theory until later in life. He was one of the principal songwriters, btw.

For the record, I am a very strong advocate of learning theory because I honestly feel it speeds up a LOT of things that you do, but you don't NEED it to write good songs.

CT

Ohh..

I know a bloke with 3 gold records several top ten hits in the Uk and he has a degree in it.. moi

There is no correlation between commercial success and intelligence.
In other words, your opinion is the same as mine. Knowing theory certainly helps, and can never, ever hurt you.

FWIW - I have a degree in it too. I think I write fairly decent rock tunes, but have never charted on commercial radio or gotten a gold record.

I was just pointing out there, that it is not an absolute requirement to write good pop songs. It was asked if you NEED it to write a good rock song, and you don't.

CT

Songwriting talent. Some people can write songs, some people can't. People with it literally start belting songs out as soon as they pick up a guitar.

If you can't, don't worry though, you can still write riffs and things.
Anyone can write songs, it's a proven fact hat humans are artistic animals and anyone can write music. The only problem that many fail is because they don't have confidence in themselves, they are really afraid of failure, they haven't had as much experience with their instrument that is needed (these people fail because they haven't aquired enough musical vocabulary and phrasings to be able to actually create beautiful melodies) or experience with analyzing songs.

If you practice enough to incorporate skill (not fast speed as it isn't necessary, but play skillfully) and if you learn many melodic phrasings, chord phrasings, song structures and how you can change from sections to other, learn to face you're fears of failure you will succeed. Many people also talk to themselves (in their head), and they are miserable to themselves, these people need to stop and thear what they are saying and just stop being miserable and start talking good about yourself to gain confidence, this is essential because you need high confidence because psycologically you will be more creative as you aren't afraid of failing.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
theory will speed up the creative process in rock.

But if you choose not to learn basic theory, you are choosing to be excluded from a large group of musicians you could be playing with. There is nothing better in life then a good jam session. And I choose to be trained enough to grab any musical opportunity to come my way.

EDIT: I can't agree with either poll choice. Neither of them answers "What d'ya need to write good ROCK songs and be a great [rock] guitarist"
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Apr 6, 2008,
What I don't understand are the people who go on these forums, which are intended to talk about theoretical things, just to say "theory is useless". The real purpose of these forums is to learn theory related things, and it seems like a waste of time to come here to tell people "theory is useless". Do they really enjoy trying to convince complete strangers in their beliefs, or are they just trying to justify that they are too lazy to learn theory?
Quote by isaac_bandits
Do they really enjoy trying to convince complete strangers in their beliefs, or are they just trying to justify that they are too lazy to learn theory?
They're trying to justify their laziness.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
They're trying to justify their laziness.

Yeah thats what I thought. It seems illogical for a lazy person to spend time to justify their laziness...
CT, i finally disagree with you, even knowing the notes to tune your guitar is theory, saying go up X amount of notes is using intervals, thus theory, the scales we use are theory and keys are theory, Hendrix knew some theory but couldn't read notes, so what?
look at the scales he uses in his song, thats theory...
now stop making excuses to not learn theory people who think it's usless.

EDIT: i don't think you need to know how to read music, to be a good guitarist so i voted no,
THEORY AND NOTATION ARE DIFFRENT, NOOBS!
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Apr 6, 2008,
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Songwriting talent. Some people can write songs, some people can't. People with it literally start belting songs out as soon as they pick up a guitar.

If you can't, don't worry though, you can still write riffs and things.

haha hope you've got thath talent.. as well...

PS - I do have....
If you want to stand out to people learn every chord,scale, whatever
Alzzz
Page 1 of 2