Is learning to play faster and accuratley easier with a teacher or is learning it in your own just as easy?
I know none if it is easy but does having the teacher there to guide you make it easier and allow you to progess faster?
Cuz over the last couple of months off and on i've been trying to build speed while staying accurate and either: a) the exercises are really boring
b) i start to think that i just cant do it
or
c) i have a really busy couple of weeks and i dont
have time to practice
And i was thinking about changing teachers because my teacher right now can only teach theory. I'm thankful for all the theory cuz it helps a lot but i've learned a lot of it and i want to be able to apply it to something with speed instead of just staying melodic.
No teacher can compensate for lack of practice. Only lots of practice can make you play faster and more accurately.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
i learned to play all on my own and i can strum quite nicely, but thats cause i sit there and play my fake solos liek all day lol
Teachers can help to an extent but they teach you their style of playing so it may slow you down or even make you worse cuz your trying something you dont usually do.
Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung - Voltaire(1694-1778)

I always thought the good thing about the guitar was that they didn't teach it in school. - Jimmy Page
teachers dont tend to help with speed since its something you could easily learn on your own
First off, speed comes from taking precision and slowing down.

Those exercises are for you to build dexterity and precision, youre stupid for avoiding them. Keep playing them everytime before you play and itll come naturally.

Remember Speed isnt always quality.... thus is why death/prog/screamo metal is all bad.

*to fendertornado

- Thats not exactly true... i could see what youre saying but they arent teaching you their style theyre trying to teach you theory. Slowing down is probably the most useful thing to do if youre trying to learn to play fast. If youre just randomly playing notes really fast its obviously going to sound like **** (cough dragon force) but if you slow down learn the notes, you could eventually speed up and play something like an Al Di Meola song.
myspace.com/soundsofmeta
Last edited by BBell at Apr 5, 2008,
i could see a teacher helping with giving you the technique to gain more speed.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by Zero_Mike
No teacher can compensate for lack of practice. Only lots of practice can make you play faster and more accurately.

k. So how much should i be practicing per night?
A lot of times I can't practice more than an hour or 2. If I practice that much how quickly should I be progressing.
Like where should I be 3 weeks from now if I practice 1 hour a day?
I'm not trying to sound like I don't have any patience cuz I do, i'm just one of those guys that is goal-oriented and I just want to have an idea of where i should be.
Quote by BBell
First off, speed comes from taking precision and slowing down.

Those exercises are for you to build dexterity and precision, youre stupid for avoiding them. Keep playing them everytime before you play and itll come naturally.

Remember Speed isnt always quality.... thus is why death/prog/screamo metal is all bad.

I know and I slow down a lot, trust me. I started as slow as my metronome would go. And I don't avoid the exercises I just get bored with them and lose inspiration to keep practicing them. I'm not one of those people that feels that just because something is fast it is better then something that isn't. I'd rather listen to Clapton the Michael Angelo Batio anyday. (I dislike a lot of shredders cuz they have no emotion btw) I just want to add another aspect to my playing.