Hi,

i recently bought a Laney VC50 for £120 and absolute steal and really like it. The only issue i have with it (apart from being blue and fury) is that there always seems to be some treble that i cant dial out and am always using it on 3 or less.

Ive heard of a mod to sort this out. Apparantly there is a capacitor somewhere that basicly takes some treble frequencies and bypasses the control. I found some schematics and think ive found it. I was wondering the best way to fix this. Should I:

A: Simply remove the capacitor- i wouldve thought it seems too simple but i cant imagine any problems that would cause apart from maybe neeeding to alter something somewhere else as it will have more treble going through it i dunno.

B: Cut the return side of the capacitor and wire it to earth.

C: Something different. I have tried my eq pedal but just isnt sounding any good.

heres a link to the schematics

http://tremolo.elektroda.net/download.php?adres=Firmowe/LANEY/VC50.pdf

the cap im talking about it C10 on page 4 (ive been on about the drive channel all the time i didnt make clear).
i think there is also a similar thing in the clean channel - C7 on page 3.

I like the brightness of the clean channel and would like to leave that as it is but if im wrong about that would cutting that one on page 4 affect both channels.

Im no expert so just wanted to get some advice and see what you think.

Cheers.
best signature ever
What kind of valves are you using in the amp and how old are they?

I changed my valves from an old set of Sovteks when I bought my VC50 and it got rid of a lot of the harshness!
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
ooh might help....... the valves arent too old but cheap. the power tubes are mesa el34s but the preamp tubes are diff. I think 3 are totally blank and bought from a computer shop lol (2nd hand and not changed them since). and the other three are =C='s. All 12ax7s. I did change one of the preamp tubes after i bought it with an unbranded spare he gave me. Was kinda bummed as the one i had to take out was a Mullard. But if you look at the schematic theres definetley soething that would mean some treble cannot be dialed out.
best signature ever
Hmmm. Well, I changed from Sovteks to JJs and the amp sounds a lot better now. JJs are dark valves, so it helps to balance out some of the treble, and I'm using E34Ls which are a little bassier than EL34s.

There's also the fact that the stock speakers are pretty ice-picky when they want to be. To be honest I'd want to steer clear of going inside the amp and taking out components.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
id probly take it too a tech as there is a problem with one of the speaker outputs aswell and if im putting in new tubes itll need rebiasing anyway. I just though it sounded like sometthing that might make the treble control a bit more useable.
best signature ever