I know what it is, and what it does...but how does it work? What plugs into where? Can you use it so as to turn your PC in to an effects processor between your guitar and your amp? Can't seem to find any more info other than "It recreates classic sounds and lets you make any tone you like..." but if all it does is let you play your guitar through your PC speakers... :/
It's a plug-in, you'll need a host to run it. You're not going to have an actual amp or anything. You'll need a USB interface or a decent soundcard, enough processing power, and RAM to run it.
USB interface for what - what does it act as an interface between? It's not just a matter of plugging the guitar into the line in jack?
Amplitube is software, you're not actually going to physically have an amp or anything when you purchase it. You'd want to get a USB interface if your computer has a crappy soundcard or doesn't have the I&O options you want/need.
An external soundcard, you mean. That's not needed, I've got a pretty damn decent PC as it is.

And I know and amp doesn't come with it, that's kind of obvious. My question is - can it be used to output the sound through my pre-existing amp at all?
Quote by StiltonCheese
My question is - can it be used to output the sound through my pre-existing amp at all?

So you want your amp to act as a monitor?
I've tried the limited version of Amplitube on a newer system recently through a top end prosumer sound card, and it had a significant delay between the input signal and the "real time" preview signal, so I'm not sure if its the best idea to run a line out to your power amp.

And BTW, what sound card are you using TS?
Quote by Axecutioner
I've tried the limited version of Amplitube on a newer system recently through a top end prosumer sound card, and it had a significant delay between the input signal and the "real time" preview signal, so I'm not sure if its the best idea to run a line out to your power amp.

And BTW, what sound card are you using TS?

If you download the asio drivers it gets rid of the delay.
Quote by False_God
So you want your amp to act as a monitor?

'course not, don't be silly. I want to use the amp in place of the PC speakers.

EDIT* Unless you mean some sort of audio monitor instead of visual monitor (I thought you were being facetious, sorry), but I have no idea what one of those is
Last edited by StiltonCheese at Apr 6, 2008,
Monitors are speakers used for monitoring a signal and are usually self powered and try to accurately reproduce the signal. Think of them as the big brothers of something like PC speakers.
You dont need a host to run it, you can run it alone, which is the way its meant to be ran for live use, and yes you can run it out to an amp.
Ive got a ****ty soundcard and just ran the speaker output to the input of the amp to see if it worked, It did, but the input and output levels of all things take a while to get right with out feedbacking.
Kaya Scodelario... Wow

GEAR:
Air
Purple Tortex Jazz Picks
You'll have to explain 'host' to me as well...sorry, all good with computers, but in terms of audio tech I know next to nothing.
Quote by GenderConfusedJ
You dont need a host to run it, you can run it alone, which is the way its meant to be ran for live use, and yes you can run it out to an amp.
Ive got a ****ty soundcard and just ran the speaker output to the input of the amp to see if it worked, It did, but the input and output levels of all things take a while to get right with out feedbacking.

For some reason, I thought you need a host (like VST) to run Amplitube.
I thought Amplitube was just a neat simulation programme which added a load of options to your guitar tone when recording (using DI)?
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Loose amplitube, get Guitar Rig 3.
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
Im gonna say, if you want heavier (ish) tones then your better off with Amplitube, Guitar Rig does all the vintage, marshall tones better though but doesnt quite do high gain stuff well imo, and generally has better effects, but what can you expect from computer software, It does its job fine for what it is, Lamb Of God used Amplitube at some point aswell, not sure when though.
Kaya Scodelario... Wow

GEAR:
Air
Purple Tortex Jazz Picks
Last edited by GenderConfusedJ at Apr 6, 2008,
Well I've got it set up, ta guys, but there's a sort of...farty sound ontop of everything I play. Is this due to the fact I'm not using a 'host' or 'USB Interface' whatever the hell they are, or is it due to the setting sin Amplitube/ASIO4all?
Quote by StiltonCheese
Well I've got it set up, ta guys, but there's a sort of...farty sound ontop of everything I play. Is this due to the fact I'm not using a 'host' or 'USB Interface' whatever the hell they are, or is it due to the setting sin Amplitube/ASIO4all?

Amplitube has a stand-alone version which works exactly like the plugin version used in a host.

Check your sound setting. I'm pretty sure you're having DirectX as input driver.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

A few of the sims in amplitube have stupid amounts of gain, that turn into pretty much noise above like 4-5, and check youve got the input levels from your line in or mic input, whichever your using in the windows volume window down in the task bar. Could just be me, but it took ages to get everything level and usable.
Kaya Scodelario... Wow

GEAR:
Air
Purple Tortex Jazz Picks