im saving up to buy pro tools and have a few questions

1. is it worth it.

2. is it good recording software.

3. what will i need to plug my amp into in order to be recorded

help will be greatly appreciated.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
im saving up to buy pro tools and have a few questions

1. is it worth it.

No.

2. is it good recording software.

Yes.

You will need some hardware. If you want to use your PC to record, then some Analog-to-Digital converters (A/D) are required. Your stock soundcard has one A/D converter, but it's not exactly qualified for audio production. These A/D converters take a line-level analog signal and convert it to ones and zeros so your PC can handle them. Of course, you will need to turn your high-impedance guitar signal in to a line-level signal by using a DI box.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
do you have a mac? pro tools will only work on a mac.
if so...
1. yes.
2. refer to 1.
3. you can get a mic and plug the mic into the interface that comes with the program, or you can plug your guitar right into the interface and there's thousand's of guitar sounds in there
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by itchy guitar

By that alone, i'm going to say that you should hold off on buying protools.
hug your local pug dealer!
Last edited by cody733 at Apr 5, 2008,
1. If you'll make good use of it, yes.

2. Yes, but Logic is better IMO, and lots of people prefer Cubase.

3. An M-Box. (Protools requires you to use their hardware, while other DAWs can use any hardware)
Quote by cody733

that is likely a safe assumption.
read around and learn more.
www.google.com

your best friend
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by itchy guitar

If you need to ask this question then you shouldn't be buying pro tools
Quote by cody733

theres a nice little jack on my amp that says in bold letters. "headphones/record out"
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
theres a nice little jack on my amp that says in bold letters. "headphones/record out"

Look, I wasn't saying it to be rude, I was saying it to save you a lot of money and frustration. Start looking in on the Riffs & Recordings forum once in a while and that will probably help you out a whole lot.
hug your local pug dealer!
Quote by GiantRaven
Oddly enough you need more than some software, an amp and a cable to get some good recordigs

Guitar?
Quote by cody733
Look, I wasn't saying it to be rude, I was saying it to save you a lot of money and frustration. Start looking in on the Riffs & Recordings forum once in a while and that will probably help you out a whole lot.

all right let me re word this. can someone list everything i need to record(hardware)
Quote by MakinLattes
Quote by itchy guitar
all right let me re word this. can someone list everything i need to record(hardware)

Certainly.

Multitrack Recorder
Mixer
Monitors
Microphone(s)
Microphone Preamp(s)

That's all. If you are using a computer, though, the list looks something like this:

Computer
Monitors
Microphone(s)
Microphone Preamp(s)
A/D Converters
D/A Covnerters

Monitors are speakers, good quality speakers that require an external amplifier unless you buy active monitors.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
did you ever fall asleep?^^

p.s. mboxes really cost that much? holy crap!

im looking at musiciansfriend and the mbox alone costs like $300
Quote by MakinLattes
Last edited by itchy guitar at Apr 5, 2008,
Let me clear some things up for you:

- Protools is the industry standard. You might as well learn to use what every studio uses.

- Protools will work on PC or Mac.

- The Mbox comes with everything you need, the Protools sftware is included. However, Protools will not work without Digidesign hardware plugged into your computer. That means that you must have your mbox or digi-rack plugged in when you want to use the program. It has the A/D and D/A converters built in. You will need headphones to listen to your mix, or an external set of powered speakers (the Mbox will not play audio back through your soundcard).

- To record from your amp you need a microphone. Or buy a DI box and record that way. You can then change the guitar sound with an amp simulator.

Protools is probably a lot easier to use straight away than logic or cubase. There's lots of cool things you can do with it. It just depends on what you wanna do? Demos at home? then the mbox is fine. As soon as you want to make great sounding recordings, you need more gear.

PM me if you have more questions.
Meet Ardour, the free, open-source, cross-platform replacement for ProTools. No MBox required here.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation