Quote by Armagedn
This one:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990-Condenser-Microphone-with-Shockmount?sku=273156

We're running out of money fast, and we were wondering how necessary a stand would be to the recording process with that microphone.

Those mics are to record overhead so you can put them anywhere in the room. On a table or chair would do I suppose. Even then a stand costs like $10..
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
So you can't just set it on a table or something? I know it's kinda lame, but the less money we have to spend, the better.
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
im assuming youre recording an amp...

thread the cable under the handle and let it hang in front of the speaker
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Actually, we're recording vocals...
use a hand wt about 5 fingers, teach the mic how to levitate, or put the mic on the floor and have ur singer lay on the floor along side of it and yell into it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
use a hand wt about 5 fingers, teach the mic how to levitate, or put the mic on the floor and have ur singer lay on the floor along side of it and yell into it.

You forgot the classic "Strap it to a midget's forehead" technique. Handy for mic'ing halfstacks.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I've seen some pretty hilarious 'cost-efficient' ways to use a mic without a stand. In high school, a friend of mine had me come over to lay down some guitar tracks for their demo. They duct taped the mic cable to the ceiling and had the mic hanging down in the middle of the room to capture everything into a cheap little 4-track cassette recorder.
I was actuall thinking of doing that. I mean, hanging the mic from the ceiling.
We decided against buying anything yet though, we're waiting until we have enough money to buy everything we need.