Page 1 of 2
Which process of evolution (micro or macro) is the evolution of a Pokemon?
Macroevolution
Which process of macroevolution specifically is the evolution of a Pokemon?

First to answer correctly gets an e-cookie.
Yes, I'm applying the scientific terms of the evolutionary theory to Pokemon. Kill me now pl0x
Last edited by RPGoof at Apr 5, 2008,
The Is No Such Thing As Micro Or Macro Evolution You fucking Dolt
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Uhhh Pikachu?
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Quote by Ur all $h1t

1)You're a ****ing idiot.
2)Yes there is.

It is macroevolution.
who?

cares...
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Listen to this man.

Quote by RPGoof
2)Yes there is.

It is macroevolution.

No, there isn't. There is just evolution, there is no difference between "micro" and "macro" evolution.

And anyway, even then, it's not evolution. Evolution does not occur to one organism within their lifetime. It's still the exact same organism, just older and grown. The same thing happens to all pokemon of that same species. They don't change from generation to generation, they stay the same.
Last edited by hugmeplz at Apr 5, 2008,
It can't be macro, because doesn't that mean that pokemon, as a genus (which they would be as they then descend into different species) evolve as a whole? It isn't either type because really it isn't evolution but a creature "growing up" to become stronger, smarter, faster blah blah blah, after experiences.
Quote by 12Jim34
The max number of stages is 3.

no its not.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Neither. For it to be evolution, the entire species would have to change, and the change be permanent. However, since a Charizard would give birth to a Charmander, and a Charmeloen would give birth to the same Charmander, the "evolutionary" stages of a pokeman are instead representative of it's life cycle (Like a caterpillar- the butterfly did not evolve from the caterpillar, and butterflies give birth to caterpillar offspring, so you would not call the stages an evolution. It's just a life cycle)
That would be my take on it anyway

Andy
Quote by BestBassistInMI
It can't be macro, because doesn't that mean that pokemon, as a genus (which they would be as they then descend into different species) evolve as a whole? It isn't either type because really it isn't evolution but a creature "growing up" to become stronger, smarter, faster blah blah blah, after experiences.

Yes, it is true individuals don't evolve, but they do in Pokemon. Each pokemon is, in my mind, a different species because you don't see a Pikachu mating with a Raichu... OR DO YOU?!

But Pokemon isn't real.... OR IS IT?!
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Google begs to differ
Quote by RPGoof
2)Yes there is.

It is macroevolution.

No there is not actually.
Evolution is a gradual and continual process, the terms micro and macro evolution were coined by creation "scientists" in order to explain away clear examples of evolution such as the peppered moth or MRSA as mere "microevolution" and to allow them to claim that "macroevolution" does not take place.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Ok let me get it out of the way...

DudeA: Theres no such thing as evolution! God yey!
DudeB: You ***** Idiot!! Fall off a cliff!
DudeA: Creationism blahblah blah blah
DudeB: Science Blahblahblahblah you dick
DudeC: Couldn't God have made evolution?????
DudeB: SHUT UP
DudeA: SHUT UP

With that done and over with I must recount a story. Yesterday my sister called while I was hanging with my gf and randomly asked what certain pokemon evolved into. We both got em all right, but the great thing is my gf knows more about pokemon than I do! She's a keeper.
myspace.com/sidetrackedrock
myspace.com/scottkrausmusic

Quote by an epic mistake
Woah guys, this is actually the first post relevant to the thread in a LOOONG time. I applaud you Scotdizzle.

I found the damn sig thing!
Quote by Ur all $h1t
No there is not actually.
Evolution is a gradual and continual process, the terms micro and macro evolution were coined by creation "scientists" in order to explain away clear examples of evolution such as the peppered moth or MRSA as mere "microevolution" and to allow them to claim that "macroevolution" does not take place.

Non creationist scientists prefer the term allopatric speciation. Although in the case of the peppered moth, they can still breed with other moths of the original "stock" so it isn't speciation, and MRSA doesn't breed anyway, so I kinda shot down my own point.

Actually, no I haven't... Pokemon undergo speciation, not evolution
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Non creationist scientists prefer the term allopatric speciation. Although in the case of the peppered moth, they can still breed with other moths of the original "stock" so it isn't speciation, and MRSA doesn't breed anyway, so I kinda shot down my own point.

Actually, no I haven't... Pokemon undergo speciation, not evolution

Delirium, how many books do you read before posting? They're always so well backed and whatnot compared to other Pitmonkeys, it baffles me every time.
Quote by DarkEra97
Delirium, how many books do you read before posting? They're always so well backed and whatnot compared to other Pitmonkeys, it baffles me every time.

*points at the screen*

Stay in school kids.

May I point out that allopatric speciation is geographcally based, so while peppered moths are on the way to allopatrically speciating, they aren't quite there yet. Pokemon however, obviously don't change geographical position when they progress to the next step. Therefore I proclaim that they Deliriously Speciate.
Quote by somedude01

Thank you I agree wholeheartedly. Pokemon are not real. Neither is "evillution". God FTW.... Jk. I can't believe I just said that.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
*points at the screen*

Stay in school kids.

May I point out that allopatric speciation is geographcally based, so while peppered moths are on the way to allopatrically speciating, they aren't quite there yet. Pokemon however, obviously don't change geographical position when they progress to the next step. Therefore I proclaim that they Deliriously Speciate.

I think you're making it up now. I admire good BS though
Quote by DarkEra97
I think you're making it up now. I admire good BS though

No, seriously, allopatric speciation exists. The Galapagos Finches are a great example. Even though they live on islands barely miles apart, they're completely different. A long time ago, one flock of a species of finch settled on all the islands. This one species of finch speciated into different species based on the environmental pressures. They can't interbreed anymore, even though they all came from the same species of finch.
How do the islands differ to the extent that they caused the birds to speciate? I mean, what kinds of pressures were exerted on them? I'm actually kinda interested now.
Quote by dannay
i say, what a great crop of homosexuals!

A perfect way to end the thread.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by DarkEra97
How do the islands differ to the extent that they caused the birds to speciate? I mean, what kinds of pressures were exerted on them? I'm actually kinda interested now.

food pressures mostly, I believe. The beaks vary wildly, to cope with the different foodstuffs available.
So instead of flying to an island where food is much more readily available, they actually kind of morphed into something better suited to the environment of that specific island? I wish I had taken Biology instead of chemistry...
Yes. The finches each had different food sources avaiblable. Their beak sizes and shapes differentiated based on the food they ate. One has a large beak, another has a long thin beak, etc.
this is foolishness. and besides, how is this pokemon trivia? its some chump tryin to prove he is smarter than pitmonkeys. also, an interesting point, would pokemon just spawn themselves, cause you never hear of any of them having poke-sex. just a thought. a very strange thought.
pokemon dont speciate when they change forms, because they can still breed. and if they can still breed and create fertile ofspring they are still the same species. since varying different types pokemon can interbreed, they are still in the same species, like a bellsprout and an oddish.

really theyre not evolving at all, because evolution cant take place within a single individual. theyre just radically mutating later in life/going through different developmental stages. also, natural selection doesnt work on them, so the whole idea of darwinian evolution falls apart.

thats why science doesnt work on japanese childrens games.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Page 1 of 2