Page 1 of 2
"Mobile phones could kill far more people than smoking or asbestos, a study by an award-winning cancer expert has concluded. He says people should avoid using them wherever possible and that governments and the mobile phone industry must take "immediate steps" to reduce exposure to their radiation.

The study, by Dr Vini Khurana, is the most devastating indictment yet published of the health risks.

It draws on growing evidence – exclusively reported in the IoS in October – that using handsets for 10 years or more can double the risk of brain cancer. Cancers take at least a decade to develop, invalidating official safety assurances based on earlier studies which included few, if any, people who had used the phones for that long.

Earlier this year, the French government warned against the use of mobile phones, especially by children. Germany also advises its people to minimise handset use, and the European Environment Agency has called for exposures to be reduced. "

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/mobile-phones-more-dangerous-than-smoking-802602.html

Obviously this isn't conclusive in any way, but seeing us kids on our cell phones constantly does make me think this could be a problem in the near future.

discuss
I heard that it can be harmful, but I doubt it will kill more people than smoking.
With the number of electromagnetic waves passing through us all the time (forgetting cosmic rays etc) - mobile phone, wifi, satellite TV, GPS, digital radio etc - I do sometimes wonder what effect they're having on us. I wouldn't have thought it would be as bad as smoking though, based on the non-existent knowledge I have on the subject.
Hmmm, interesting and worrying.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
ive had a cellphone in my pocket for three years and my leg and balls r fine!

and even if they found out it was bad i would only have to move it to my back pocket so i can distribute the radiation evenly. then after that ill move onto buying shirts with pockets so my legs, ass, and balls dont get lonely.
Quote by Retro Rocker
They kill more people because brainless retards who can't multi-task use them while driving.

+3,298,320,984

If this is true, however, then natural selection truly does exist. People who are constantly on their cell phones (especially when they're talking incredibly loud in a public place ) deserve it.
so all the idiots who are constantly playing around with their phones might get brain cancer?
i honestly don't see how that's going to harm them.
Quote by blue_strat
With the number of electromagnetic waves passing through us all the time (forgetting cosmic rays etc) - mobile phone, wifi, satellite TV, GPS, digital radio etc - I do sometimes wonder what effect they're having on us. I wouldn't have thought it would be as bad as smoking though, based on the non-existent knowledge I have on the subject.

Actually, background radiation caused by humans is negligable in comparison to the amount of background cosmic radiation there is. So really, the amount we chuck out there is going to do sweet f a.
I heard about this... And it is worrying, as my cellphone is typically in one of two places: Next to my head, or in my pants, next my..... well....

Quite worrying indeed...
Quote by metaldud536
Yes. When the shield generator on Endor has been deactivated, Rogue Squadron is easily able to enter the Death Star II without repurcussions.

...And that's how menstruation works.
Twice as likely? And what currently how many people actually get Brain Cancer?

That title is rather bold, and I definately don't think it's a half risk.
-J
Quote by Marrklarr
"Mobile phones could kill far more people than smoking or asbestos, a study by an award-winning cancer expert has concluded.

Shouldn't he be studying something more important, like cancer?
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
Did anyone else just pick up their phone and turn it off immediately upon reading this?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
People have been using cell phones since the 1980s. In 20 years before now was 1988.

Have brain cancer reports shot up?

Let's come back here in 2018. Will brain cancer crap shoot up? I dunno. But we've had deadlier stuff pass through our bodies before. Hell. Water can kill someone.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Woohoo!! I'm gonna get rid of my cell and start to smoke. Then I'll be cool (smoking) and I'll die from lung cancer, a disease with a long and honorable history, rather than strange new forms of brain cancers caused by my phone.
Quote by BestBassistInMI
Woohoo!! I'm gonna get rid of my cell and start to smoke. Then I'll be cool (smoking) and I'll die from lung cancer, a disease with a long and honorable history, rather than strange new forms of brain cancers caused by my phone.

or you could start smoking cell phones. who knows what weird **** that'd do!
Quote by cjblack532
People have been using cell phones since the 1980s. In 20 years before now was 1988.

Have brain cancer reports shot up?

Let's come back here in 2018. Will brain cancer crap shoot up? I dunno. But we've had deadlier stuff pass through our bodies before. Hell. Water can kill someone.

like 5 people used cell phones in the 80s.

now about 3 billion do.
Guess we're gonna be cellular phowned.

Come on people, that's just witty.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

do i notice a theme in your puns? (reference to the mexicowned pun in a previous thread)
Na mang that study is all wrong, i text an drive all the time...i only killed some skunks and a dog...
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
Quote by BestBassistInMI

So in an attempt to alienate your friends, not only will you be unable to contact them, but you'll also smell bad? Genius.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by ooder the cow
do i notice a theme in your puns? (reference to the mexicowned pun in a previous thread)

Nah I've only made 2-3 "owned" puns. But thanks for noticing that one
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
this is a bit worrying. My mom has been using cellphones for business since about 98. But shes fine as far as i know.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
At least phones provide a useful service to people, instead of simply making them smell and look much older than they are.
Quote by Kensai

*Facepalm*

Ok, that was good.

I rarely use phones so I guess I'm at less risk.
NOPE.
Quote by Kensai

To whoever was going on about how we've been using cell phones for 20 years:
Not only do many, many more people use cell phones today than 20 years ago, cell phones are also much more advanced today in the sense that they are digital compared to analog. Radiation from things like cell phones, microwaves, etc are nothing compared to the radiation we're exposed to constantly from space. I don't think talking on a cell phone is any more dangerous than sitting in a chair.
No one used phones in the 80 like they do now, go and see saving private Ryan and look at the gigantic portable radio that they use at the beach. Cellphones used to be that big and heavy
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Lookatthis97787.jpg[/img]
Quote by master
does this mean more truth commercials??

Oh gosh...

I hate those things. We get it! Smoking is bad! Move on!
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
The Independent has an absolutely atrocious record on science. There are no health risks from mobile phones whatsoever and they cannot cause cancer.

Late last week, the Mobile Operators Association dismissed Khurana's study as "a selective discussion of scientific literature by one individual". It believes he "does not present a balanced analysis" of the published science, and "reaches opposite conclusions to the WHO and more than 30 other independent expert scientific reviews".

This guy is wrong, so is The Independent.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
i love how people cant realize that phones are not the only source of exposure to certain waves, EVERY single appliance that plugs in emits waves, lights do, ipods do, tvs do
Quote by 12Jim34
I heard that it can be harmful, but I doubt it will kill more people than smoking.

It can't be harmful.

Quote by blue_strat

No effect whatsoever.

Quote by break-me-in
Did anyone else just pick up their phone and turn it off immediately upon reading this?

No, I'm not a fool.

Quote by DarkEra97
I don't think talking on a cell phone is any more dangerous than sitting in a chair.

Probably less so. Chairs occasionally break and you can sustain nasty falls.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
probably they do have a tiny risk but **** it, smoking makes you look like a gorm and smell like dog **** anyway. so nuff said.
maybe now people will take me seriously when i try and get cell phones banned in bars....
Quote by The Masterplan
does this also include laptops, because i think they also have radiation ?

No. Wi-Fi is possibly what you're talking about. It's also completely harmless.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
No. Wi-Fi is possibly what you're talking about. It's also completely harmless.

while its harmless it should be known that it is still labeled at radiation, now if we could end the stigma that every form of radiation causes problems......
Page 1 of 2