so i'm getting a new amp, and its gonna be a tube. i need something that's around $1k, cos i know that tubes less than that have a nasty habit of catching on fire
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
havent heard about sub 1k amps catching fire BUT....

what styles do you play?
what guitar do you have?
will you gig?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I have a modified Peavey Classic 50 212 all tube amp that is great. Never any kind of trouble with fire or anything like that.
style: ska influenced punk
guitar: PRS Standard 24
yes i will gig

and im not lying. ive seen this dude i know catch a sub 1k tube on fire.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
The Ampeg J-20 I have sells for about eight bills and is an amazing sounding amp. It's a crank-to-distort style amp with no master volume, but it delivers fistfuls of tone.

Since you play ska, I can say that this amp has wicked Fender-like cleans up to about 2/3 of the volume sweep, after that, rich tube saturated overdrive like a Vox.
Last edited by carpepax at Apr 5, 2008,
What's your point? My Mesa/Boogie spontaneously combusted a few months ago, and even a highly reputable tech couldn't figure out why it blew up (though it got fixed in the end). Incidentally...brand new, it will have been priced on the wrong side of £1500.
thanks for the advice guys, i think ill try out one of those carvin amps. it doesnt seem like guitar center sells them though... should i just order online? i dont like getting gear without testing it...
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
It's not the <1k, it's just tube amps. It's a trade-off/risk-taking. Like Jedi. They have to give up all their emotions, most of their happiness, fun, the things that make them human, joy, and everything beyond serenity and logic. But have you seen those lightsabers? They're made of light. F*ckin light!
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
so i'm getting a new amp, and its gonna be a tube. i need something that's around $1k, cos i know that tubes less than that have a nasty habit of catching on fire

that's the funniest one I've heard this week. You have 1k to spend on an amp and have to ask us? Guess we all better get rid of our under $1000 tube amps then 'eh? Geesh. I'm throwing my 2 Valve Juniors and my 2 vintage tubers away before I burn down the house.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
your gonna catch on fire not the amp

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

should've prepared my flame shield... but im gonna go with a carvin MTS3212. honest mistake about the whole catching on fire thing. but seriously you guys need to be less of douchebags. it only takes one person to tell someone else a mistake.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
style: ska influenced punk
guitar: PRS Standard 24
yes i will gig

I'm thinking you'll be happier with a Fender. Depending on where you want to fall with that $1k, you could go with a Blues DeVille, a Super Reverb, or a Twin. I'm a big fan of the Super, myself.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
it only takes one person to tell someone else a mistake.

Not on UG.