What are the differences? I am looking to get one of these, I have played the Deville and I really like it but I want to know whats worth $150 extra rather than the Deluxe.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
There is a good chance you may be flamed for this since the answer is just a search engine search away, but I will answer you the best that I can.

Since I am an owner of a HRD, I know enough about this series of amps to help you. Keep in mind that the most likely piece of criticism that you will find about the Hot Rod series is it's relatively mild gain channel. As there are more metal head kids on UG than anything else, this is the common opinion. (I am NOT slamming UG, I have stated multiple times in the past that these "kids" I mention can 100% play circles around me.)

There are 3 basic amps available in the Hot Rod series - The 1x12" Deluxe @ 40w, the 2x12" Deville @60W,and, the 4x10" Deville @ 60W.

I have the Deluxe and almost right away had problems with the volume being too high regardless of knob level. I also experienced poor performance in the gain department. I experimented with pedals but found that the best solution was to tackle the problem at the tube level. After all, I got a tube amp for a reason. I did some reasearch and found that I was not alone in my issues with the HRD. I ended up picking up a Groove Tubes "Power Reducer" kit, which swapped the HRD's 6L6 power tubes for EL84 power tubes. EL84's are smaller and are responsible for the "grind" that VOX amps are famous for. The difference is wonderful. The touchiness of the volume is reduced a bit and the "grind" of the drive channel is quite addicting now. Worth mentioning are the three "colors" and 1-10 rating system of Groove Tubes to rate the "dirtiness" of a tube. Blue is 1-3 and dirtiest, white is 4-7 and "normal", red is 8-10 and "late distortion." My HRD came stock with "white" 6L6's. The EL84 kit I got came with "blue" tubes rated a 1 out of 10. Its a great change. So much so that last week I bought a TS9 pedal and ended up exchanging it because it really didn't add a noticable boost in OD, certainly not worth $100. I got the VOX wah in exchange.

Good luck,

Greg
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Yeah I am not really worried about gain all too much because I already have a heavy metal amp in my Blue Voodoo. I am just looking for something with nice cleans to use in blues jams I have on the normal. I have a ts-9 already so that also helps.

So, do you think the Deluxe would be good for what I need. I am looking for a Derek Trucks tone, as he is my favorite blues artist.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
If you want a good blues tone then this is a good choice. Blues is what I mainly play and this does it quite well. I suspect that with the stock 6L6's the TS9 you have would do a good job in it's department. The HRD is plenty loud enough for gigging, especially in a coffe-house or bar setting. I would guess that unless you are playing gigs in a bigger venue that either of the Deville's are overkill.. Plus, with the Deluxe, you only have one speaker to worry about (speakers wear out and are also a common mod) so it is more cost effective. The thing is build like a tank and I am very happy with it.

If there are any other questions I can answer about this amp or whatever, just ask. I enjoy putting info and my experiences out there for others to pickup. Thats the best part about the UG forums.

-Greg
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
No it seems I am going to have to just keep playing them back to back and find out for myself, it seems right now that the Deluxe is going to be my main choice. Thank you for your help its much appreciated .
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
hey greg i was just searching around UG because im going to most likely be picking up a HRD in the near future here...i really do love this amp from what i've played it in the shop...about those tubes you bought...how much does it cost to throw those in there and about how long do they last?
Look into a Traynor YCV50 or the YCV40 maybe? Great cleans, and a better gain channel than the HRDs(IMHO), just suggesting is all.
This particular set of tubes and adapters is the Groove Tubes 928-PR Duet. It cost me $96 at Ron's Guitars in Groton, CT. I can't say how much longer the tubes will last but I have had them for almost 2 years now and all is well. I always take time to warm the amp up on standby so I imagine this has had at least some positive impact on tube life.

The other cool part is that I still have the old 6L6's and swapping them takes less than 5 minutes (when they are COOL, of course) That way I can switch whenever and its like having a different amp.

-Greg
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1