Ok, I'm not sure what genre I'll be playing on guitar but out of these (or others you recommend) should I get?

Yamaha FG730S
Alvarez AD60S
Yamaha FG720S
Yamaha FG735S
Washburn D10S

Please explain why I should get that guitar over the others as well.
Last edited by gtwosaints at Apr 6, 2008,
Go play them yourself...I'm not going to bother typing all of my usual. Just go in other threads asking this same question over and over again to find some answers.
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
Go play them yourself...I'm not going to bother typing all of my usual. Just go in other threads asking this same question over and over again to find some answers.

Then why waste your time typing that answer.
hay i am a begining acoustic guitar....i am only 14 but i have been playing for 5 years....i love clasic rock...do you have any addvise for me as i am tring to start a band????
Quote by 1234chick
hay i am a begining acoustic guitar....i am only 14 but i have been playing for 5 years....i love clasic rock...do you have any addvise for me as i am tring to start a band????

Try the Bandleading Forums
Quote by gtwosaints
Ok, I'm not sure what genre I'll be playing on guitar but out of these (or others you recommend) should I get?.....

gtwosaints,

I see that most of those guitars are near the $300 range, have you checked out the Guitars under $300 thread? Some of those if not all are under the thread and discussed extensively. I played a few of those and also a Yamaha FG730s, and that one sounds really good to me. I was much in the same situation, I didn't know what to buy. The best advice I can give would be to go to a nearest local guitar shop and try out some guitars in your price range. Guitars can sometimes sound differently in my opinion, even from the same brand model. I ended up purchasing a Seagull S6 Original. I don't regret it, because I am a firm believer in the Quality of Godin guitars after playing this guitar at a shop and now I have it. The guitar has a well balanced sound, not too bright or mellow, just inbetween. The action is low, and no fret buzzes or any issues. Check out the Guitar sometimes.
Last edited by vang0341 at Apr 5, 2008,
Quote by vang0341
gtwosaints,

I see that most of those guitars are near the $300 range, have you checked out the Guitars under $300 thread? Some of those if not all are under the thread and discussed extensively. I played a few of those and also a Yamaha FG730s, and that one sounds really good to me. I was much in the same situation, I didn't know what to buy. The best advice I can give would be to go to a nearest local guitar shop and try out some guitars in your price range. Guitars can sometimes sound differently in my opinion, even from the same brand model. I ended up purchasing a Seagull S6 Original. I don't regret it, because I am a firm believer in the Quality of Godin guitars after playing this guitar at a shop and now I have it. The guitar has a well balanced sound, not too bright or mellow, just inbetween. The action is slow, and no fret buzzes or any issues. Check out the Guitar sometimes.

Yes I have checked out that thread. I just checked out these guitars and wanted to see if I should rule out any of them for so and so reason.
I Love both the Alvarez and the Yamaha's.
Never played the Washburn so can't comment there.
The Epiphone. The times I have tried it I have never been hugely impressed. I mean, it wasn't bad by any means. Just wasn't great either. IMO, not a scratch on the Alvarez and Yamaha's.

Also, Yamaha and Alvarez have always had stellar quality control from my experience. Make sure you check out Takamines as well, they get a pretty big rap. Just a pity they cost so much where I live.
I've owned the Epi and the Yamaha, have played the Alvarez. Still own the Yamaha.

Try to decide between the Yamaha and Alvarez, they will probably be the best for your money.
god and woody guthrie
you'll find 'em both
in the grand canyon
at sundown
So I guess I'll scratch out the Epi, I love the look of it but after researching it on youtube, it didn't play as well as others.
a guitar is quite subjective and personall play them all as well as some that are out of your price range the only way to find a guitar that speaks to you is to play it. discrediting a guitar because someone had a bad experience during the 5 minutes they played it at guitar center is a foolish line of thinking in my view. long story short the best advice you can get is to play as many as you can as often as you can. the one that talks to you should be the one you take home and dont make an impulse buy play it today buy it tomorrow if it still calls your name.
Quote by anita prs bad
a guitar is quite subjective and personall play them all as well as some that are out of your price range the only way to find a guitar that speaks to you is to play it. discrediting a guitar because someone had a bad experience during the 5 minutes they played it at guitar center is a foolish line of thinking in my view. long story short the best advice you can get is to play as many as you can as often as you can. the one that talks to you should be the one you take home and dont make an impulse buy play it today buy it tomorrow if it still calls your name.

Couldn't agree more.

Whenever I try out guitars, i sit there and just play whatever comes to mind for a good 10-20 minutes. If I dont like it in the first 10 minutes, I move on to the next one. When I find one that really speaks to me, I just sit there for what seems like forever and just play it thoroughly in order to really know what the guitar is like.

Living with a guitar is VERY different from playing one at the store and enjoying it for a short period of time. You learn the faults and strengths of your guitar very well, so make sure you pick a good one in the store.
So overall I should just go play them at GC or Sam Ash (those are the only guitar shops in my area).