The story:
I bought a 3-bolt '72 RI Fender Strat body off of eBay, and bought an undrilled neck thinking that I can just drill the 3 holes I need.

The problem:
I can't drill the third hole because it is placed in the CENTER, where the TRUSS ROD is in the way. Uh-oh.

Any solutions? (Drilling holes in the body to make it a 4-bolt? [If so... how? I don't have any big drilling machines, so should I get a luthier to do it?])

Thanks in advanced.
unless the truss rod adjusts at the heel you should be able to drill the neck where you need to. the truss rod normally ends about half an inch to an inch in from the end of the neck
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
All you need is a standard battery-powered drill like you can get at any hardware store...or Wal-Mart. Get pics of the neck pocket and the bottom part of the neck. If the rod is a top-adjust and there is a little plug thing on the neck heel, then the rod is in the way. If there isn't, it's safe to drill.
Its not very easy to drill a nice straight hole thru a thick piece of wood with a hand drill. But yea thats all you would need to do is drill 2 holes in the body then the 4 in the neck. And of course neck plate and screws.

There are the pictures...
I'm pretty sure it is in the way. But just to confirm before I start drilling my body.. or trying to.

So using a battery powered drill to drill the body is fine? 1/8th? I will look up more info if it is the case.

Thanks guys!

Note: The two holes to the left of the first picture are correct. The two on the right are from left to right, the actual hole where the bolt needs to be, and the second one is one that I drilled incorrectly.
Hmmm... I think you could get away with drilling through the little peg thing on the neck, but I wouldn't risk it. You can use a drill to drill the holes. If you have a vernier caliper (the cheap plastic ones), you can just measure the diameter of the screws you'll use and get a drill bit that's the same size.
Alright, thanks for the help.

Edit: I just measured the body with a 4-bolt neckplate. It turns out that it doesnt match by half the hole so It'll be impossible to drill holes for the 4-bolt neckplate.

Meaning... Neck going to waste? Resell? Damn..
Last edited by xxii at Apr 6, 2008,
Quote by xxii
Alright, thanks for the help.

Edit: I just measured the body with a 4-bolt neckplate. It turns out that it doesnt match by half the hole so It'll be impossible to drill holes for the 4-bolt neckplate.

Meaning... Neck going to waste? Resell? Damn..

What kind of neck is it? Looks like a Mighty Mite?
I no longer have one for reference; however, if it were mine, I'd use the body to mark off the 3rd hole in the neck. I'd use the smallest bit to drill to the proper depth, going slowly, to make sure I don't hit the truss rod end. If it allows me to get to the proper depth without hitting anything metallic or hard, I'd go for it.

Good Luck!

Yep, hit something hard... can't drill through it.. and I see a glimpse of silver/metal. Must be the rod...

Thanks anyway
just get a 4 bolt neck plate and drill in the other 2 holes with a hand drill just try to keep it straight and it'ss be fine the plate will cover up the extra hole
Yeah, the only way around it is a new neck. I learned this one the hard way. I've still got the 4 bolt mighty mite neck that I still haven't got around to selling. :p
you could use screw ferrules if the original two holes don't line up with the holes in the neck plate...
then just drill two holes in the body like you were originally planning, and use screw ferrules again.
You can fill the holes in the body and then drill the body to accept a 4 hole neck.
Kanthras: Does wood glue really work? I thought about it.. having two bolts on and wood glue. But it seems weird.

james4, XgamerGt04: Sorry if it sounds a little stupid, but how exactly?
Find dowels near the size of the holes and use a bit of wood glue to fill the holes. You can do the same for the holes in the neck as well.