Can anybody help me with my guitar problem? I'm getting really down in the dumps with my guitar playing. I was just playing for hours yesterday and today I listened to myself and realized how bad I was. When I record myself I sound really cheap and stuff. Even a simple song that one of those professional guys would do seems bad when I play, even when it's 100% accurate.

I have a Squire by Fender Strat, which i heard isn't all that good compared to others.
I also have a 160 watt Harket. It's pretty good but doesn't seem to solve my problems really.

Anybody have any tips to get me back on track. Perhaps some new songs, techniques, or maybe a guitar I should save up for.
A teacher would probably get you better a lot quicker... I am self-taught, though. Just ****in look up lessons online and jam to your favorite tunes. If you learn to play by ear then you'll get a lot better.
There's that initial "slump" stage every player goes through when they play. Try playing some songs you like, and keep practicing. You'll eventually get out of it.

I'd recommend Guitarport or Toneport. Decently cheap and very good hardware.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
hey, it takes a while, I always thought it was my guitar, but it wasn't, thats right everone I started with a first act peice of crap and I still use it for gigs. It may seem like you aren't progressing, but you will always hate how you play no matter what. It is just a fact, you can never be satisfied with your self. You will get better just practice, and pay attention while you practice, if you don't enjoy your practice you aren't doing it right.
don't worry about your sound. Just focus on your technique and be relaxed about it.
Don't obsess over it, you're not gonna sound like a professional instantly, so in the meantime just play to have fun. and of course practice
good luck
and btw how long have you played for?
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
First off, work on strictly technique... Stop using your amp, and play unplugged (at least at first). In doing so, make sure that your hitting all the right notes (at the right times), and all the notes are clear and clean. Nail down 5 or six songs, and be able to play them nearly effortlessly, whenever you want. Then take 200-300 dollars, and invest in a good used guitar (because the squier is absolute crap). Once you get that, continue progressing your technique, being sure to learn different techniques and songs all the while. After that, invest in a multi-effect pedal. Sure, having all of those effects will sound cool, but always be sure to practice quite a bit without an amp, to get the playing clear. You should also be trying to learn music theory, because that will help with your improvising, so you can pick up all the chicks...
Quote by metaldud536
Yes. When the shield generator on Endor has been deactivated, Rogue Squadron is easily able to enter the Death Star II without repurcussions.

...And that's how menstruation works.
Thanks for the help guys =]

I've been playing for about 8 mounths in about 10 days. I just started taking lessons about 2 weeks ago for 1 lesson a week. He showed me some chords which i thought was pretty fun, but now we're doing notes on the guitar in musical notation... which isn't really so fun.

I try looking up tabs for songs that I'd like to play but most of them are waaaay past my level. I tried learning some parts to "The Light that Blinds" by Shadows Fall which I know I'll never get. I just gave up on it and put the guitar down for the day.
WTF dude, you tried learning that song already? That song is nuts. Matt Bachand himself probably couldn't even play that after 8 months. It's no wonder you had trouble with it...

Talk to your guitar teacher about this, he will probably have some sound advice to offer. I'm no pro, but what I've learned is that you don't become a good guitar player overnight, and you can't become a good guitar player without hard work. If that were the case, there would be millions of Joe Satrianis and Steve Vais. So there will be bumps in the road.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by AznElliot518
WTF dude, you tried learning that song already? That song is nuts. Matt Bachand himself probably couldn't even play that after 8 months. It's no wonder you had trouble with it...

Talk to your guitar teacher about this, he will probably have some sound advice to offer. I'm no pro, but what I've learned is that you don't become a good guitar player overnight, and you can't become a good guitar player without hard work. If that were the case, there would be millions of Joe Satrianis and Steve Vais. So there will be bumps in the road.

lol yeah dude. I knew I wasn't ganna be able to do it. I'm just ganna start taking it easy and work on marry had a little lamb. maybe speed up my chord transition.

how long do you think it would take till I become a decent player if I practice like 4 hours a day or something (waay too much time on my hands)
Quote by Banana Man
lol yeah dude. I knew I wasn't ganna be able to do it. I'm just ganna start taking it easy and work on marry had a little lamb. maybe speed up my chord transition.

how long do you think it would take till I become a decent player if I practice like 4 hours a day or something (waay too much time on my hands)

An amount of time that is individual to you because people are all different.

Stop worrying about how 'good' you are and just play for fun; if playing for fun means practicing technique for hours a day then so be it; I could probably sit a practice metronome drills for hours a day but I don't think most people could stand to do that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well...generally it's good to look at harder songs and attempt, but not any type of shadows fall song after only 8 month.

Maybe try learning theory?
Quote by Badorphan
Post a recording. Could be you're just being overly hard on yourself.

I have 2 vids up now. I have a Paramore song, Misery Business and my bands song on youtube but I'm not sure if I can give the link to it without breaking the forum rules. The Paramore song was easy and I'm learning Hearts Burst Into Fire by BFMVT. It looks pretty easy.

I heard Theory was hard, and when I looked at it on the ultimate-guitar lessons, I thought I was taking Greek 4H. So I decided to just learn it in lessons with my teacher.
Theory is really easy, once you understand intervals, notes on the fretboard, and the major scale
Quote by Banana Man
I have 2 vids up now. I have a Paramore song, Misery Business and my bands song on youtube but I'm not sure if I can give the link to it without breaking the forum rules. The Paramore song was easy and I'm learning Hearts Burst Into Fire by BFMVT. It looks pretty easy.

I heard Theory was hard, and when I looked at it on the ultimate-guitar lessons, I thought I was taking Greek 4H. So I decided to just learn it in lessons with my teacher.

You can link to youtube, yes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
hey banana man, i think you are being overly harsh on yourself about your recordings. For one, you don't have the proper recording gear, so of course you won't sound like a professional, also your gear is probably not comprabable to the professionals (unless ur rich or something). So it seemed to me that you were playing the right stuff. Maybe fiddle around with your gear to get a better sounding tone? just a suggestion if you're not happy with how you sound.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
^I agree. Your playing is fine. It just seems you're not happy with your sound and that can be fixed easy. I know that I can play something on my own stuff that'll sound great and then when I play on strange stuff like in a store, the same riffs will sound just terrible. It's not you. Don't beat yourself up.
I can help you purely with the sound issue - for those distorted rhythm tones you would be better off sticking to the bridge pickup alone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just practice, you're not gonna sound like the pros right away even if the tab is completely correct - its all about style. Plus you're not gonna get amazing sound off a squire. The amp is more important than the guitar but I'm not sure how good the one you have is.
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
Yeah I guess I'm just being too much of a critic when it comes to my recording quality. I should probably get a direct recording kinda thing and save up for a better quality guitar.

Thanks for the help guys!
play more play everyday develope your own style to your favorite song. theres no sence in trying to match styles of others. learn a song and make it your own. and it is the most frustrating instrument to learn. but with practice and years of not quitting you will get good
There's a good thread of beginner songs at the top of this forum, try learning some of those 100% accurately.
Think about how you sounded/played when you FIRST started playing.....

See? Youre not so bad now!! Instant solution.
stop judging urself and it will be fine

i suck at guitar but i enjoy it that all
you have to be realistic with what you choose to learn dude. dont go trying to learn shadows fall stuff when you have only played 8 month. unless your like clocking in 5 hours of practice a day or so.

as for you playing the notes correct but still sounding well not good as you put it. i would say work on your vibrato, kristopher dahl has a great video on here teaching good techniques for vibrato i suggest you give it a look, adds a lot to your playing.
there called professials for a reason they have been playing for a much longer time then you have keep at it keep the recording and look a tit in a years tike and ull see how fa ru come the first year is the hardest
Quote by Banana Man
Thanks for the help guys =]

I've been playing for about 8 mounths in about 10 days. I just started taking lessons about 2 weeks ago for 1 lesson a week. He showed me some chords which i thought was pretty fun, but now we're doing notes on the guitar in musical notation... which isn't really so fun.

I try looking up tabs for songs that I'd like to play but most of them are waaaay past my level. I tried learning some parts to "The Light that Blinds" by Shadows Fall which I know I'll never get. I just gave up on it and put the guitar down for the day.

Like sheet music?.....That will help you so much in the future....I wouldn't mind learning since I've started playing my alto sax music on guitar lately.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
your playing is fine, work on your tone and youll be set.

as seagull said, bridge pickup helps alot when doing the distorted rhythm parts.