Today I was playing a BFG Les Paul through a really small Valveking with a boss sd-1. I think that the amp/pedal sounded like a bottomless pit of tin. But the highs on the guitar sounded heavenly they were just so crisp. Now I would like to know what part/thing made this so amazing, because the amps tone is horrible but it still sounded wonderful. Was it the pickups, strings, wood, pedal, amp or what? Thanks and sorry if it was confusing.
I thought the little valvekings had good tone.

and the stock boss SD1 isn't anything special.

Really not too sure. What did it sound like exactly?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
It was overdriven/distorted but the highs were super clear, just soaring I can't describe it. I personally think the VK's sound like someone stabbed the cone, it feels too scooped reguardless of settings.
Quote by Matt Chavie
Today I was playing a BFG Les Paul through a really small Valveking with a boss sd-1. I think that the amp/pedal sounded like a bottomless pit of tin. But the highs on the guitar sounded heavenly they were just so crisp. Now I would like to know what part/thing made this so amazing, because the amps tone is horrible but it still sounded wonderful. Was it the pickups, strings, wood, pedal, amp or what? Thanks and sorry if it was confusing.

This is what I got from that statement:

"The amp sounded horrible, but sounded great. Why?"

Sounds like you just think its bad because some people say ValveKings are shit. You can put a Hello Kitty Squier through a Mark IV and it will sound great.

Really, I dont get your logic. Your "tone" is coming through the amplifier. Your tone is essentially the basis of your sound. You say the tone from the amp is bad, but it sounds great. What sounds great? Theres only one sound - the tone coming from the amp.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Last edited by mike.h at Apr 5, 2008,
Quote by mike.h
This is what I got from that statement:

"The amp sounded horrible, but sounded great. Why?"

Sounds like you just think its bad because some people say ValveKings are shit. You can put a Hello Kitty Squier through a Mark IV and it will sound great.

Everything else out of the amp was bad, but the highs like 12 fret high E+ was beautiful.
Quote by Matt Chavie
Everything else out of the amp was bad, but the highs like 12 fret high E+ was beautiful.

Were you playing at low volumes? Thats probably why. When you play at low volumes, low frequencies sound muddy.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Try less gain then?
I dunno, I really don't get too much what you're saying
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Try less gain then?
I dunno, I really don't get too much what you're saying

Or that too.

Low Volumes + High Gain + High Bass = Bad lows, Great Highs
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I am actually pulling for a VK to sound good to me, I have no bias against them just my ears, I've played a smaller and bigger one, and wasn't impressed. It was quiet, but it sounded tin-y(as in the element) and kinda like stabbed cone, and I couldn't get it to sound fuller/rounder. And I'm kinda timid when it comes to loud playing.

I was also looking into getting a VK112 and putting new tubes/speakers in it like you did but I can't play at loud volumes 95% of the time so I have a problem.
It all sounded horrible, the amazing highs were me.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Quote by Matt Chavie
I am actually pulling for a VK to sound good to me, I have no bias against them just my ears, I've played a smaller and bigger one, and wasn't impressed. It was quiet, but it sounded tin-y(as in the element) and kinda like stabbed cone, and I couldn't get it to sound fuller/rounder. And I'm kinda timid when it comes to loud playing.

I was also looking into getting a VK112 and putting new tubes/speakers in it like you did but I can't play at loud volumes 95% of the time so I have a problem.

The Stock speaker is a real pooper. Look into a Veteran 30 (from warehousespeakers.com) and replacing the powertubes with JJs
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator