Page 1 of 3
Hey Guys,

Just wondering, in your humble opinion...

HOW HARD IS ERUPTION?

I'm wondering if I should attempt it or just not bother.

I've been playing for around 9 years and practice about 4 hours a day

Thanks.
it isn't that hard....

9 years is plenty...and on top of that, anything you have to work for will make you better...

tapping is a nice technique to have in the back pocket too

I vote go for it
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
go for it. i've only been playing a year but that didn't stop me learning beast and the harlot.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
dude, 9 years and 4 hours a day? i have no doubt you could. i can play most of it and ive been playing for only 3 years...
4 hours a day for 9 years? you should be able to rape that song man. Do it.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
Shouldn't take you more than an hour to master it.

It's not a real song, anyway. It's just his warm-up exercise. Some guy thought it was cool and convinced him to record it.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
It's not that hard. A few basic rock licks and some tremolo picking, along with some really basic tapping.

If you find it hard, don't quit. Learning difficult things will make you a better player.
I read on here the other day someone saying that it's known to be "insanely difficult"...well, it's really not.
With your experience, it shouldn't be that hard.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruption_(song)

Eruption or what would later be named Eruption had existed as part of Van Halens stage act at least as far back as 1976. This 1976 version of what would later be called Eruption on Van Halens first album features no tapping. [1] Eruption started the guitar tapping explosion of the 1980s. Even though tapping had been previously done by many guitarists Van Halen introduced tapping to the mainstream popular rock audience. The main tapping part of Eruption is very Bach like for instance and very similar Bach like tapping had been recorded by Steve Hackett of Genesis in 1971/1972.

As has been noted above Eruption was a guitar solo featured in Van Halens live performances and producer Ted Templeman heard it and asked him to record it.
It's not that advanced these days, though there are certain nuances in it and in his playing in general that are hard to pull off. Though the same can be said of stuff like the solo in Stairway To Heaven. Tons of people can play those notes, but to get it to sound right it not easy.
Quote by socomser
Hey Guys,

HOW HARD IS ERUPTION?

Thanks.

If you want to learn it, go for it.

as far as it being easy..... not really.

I've heard alot of people claim to be able to play it.

I've heard 1 or 2 that could play it and actually have it sound even close to the original.

any of you guys that say its easy..... Id really like to hear you play it and make it sound authentic.

( not saying you cant.... but hey if its easy..... lets hear it! )

Quote by Haha, Crackhead
Shouldn't take you more than an hour to master it.

It's not a real song, anyway. It's just his warm-up exercise. Some guy thought it was cool and convinced him to record it.

an hour to master it?

lets hear you play it.

Quote by CowboyUp
It's not that hard. A few basic rock licks and some tremolo picking, along with some really basic tapping.

If you find it hard, don't quit. Learning difficult things will make you a better player.

Basic rock licks ??
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 5, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
If you want to learn it, go for it.

as far as it being easy..... not really.

I've heard alot of people claim to be able to play it.

I've heard 1 or 2 that could play it and actually have it sound even close to the original.

any of you guys that say its easy..... Id really like to hear you play it and make it sound authentic.

( not saying you cant.... but hey if its easy..... lets hear it! )

an hour to master it?

lets hear you play it.

isn't that basically this:
Quote by GoDrex
It's not that advanced these days, though there are certain nuances in it and in his playing in general that are hard to pull off. Though the same can be said of stuff like the solo in Stairway To Heaven. Tons of people can play those notes, but to get it to sound right it not easy.

only in a lot more space
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Quote by ortrigger
isn't that basically this:

only in a lot more space

actually no its not.

Anyway. To the TS...... its not THAT easy. its not a basic beginners solo by any means. It has some difficult licks....and it has a lot of style. Style is one of the hardest things to get right. but you've been playing 9 years. You want to try it.... go for it. If you have the desire to play it.... theres no reason why you couldnt play it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 5, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
actually no its not.

please elaborate.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Quote by ortrigger
please elaborate.

I said what I wanted to say. I dont need to explain how my post is different than someone elses. Just read it.

to any of you guys that say its "easy" and basic...... I challenge you to play it and make it sound authentic. If you can pull it off .... .much respect to you.
shred is gaudy music
i'm not saying it's easy...but 9 years is about 3000 days, or 12000 hours of practice...

that much and you should be able to learn to play anything you want...

I'm not gonna tell someone who just joined the forums with their new squier starcaster that it's not that hard, but this guy should be able to handle it....

that's where I was coming from
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
if youve been playin nine years you should be able to master it with ur eyes shut and arm behind your back

it only takes a few months to be good enough to play it
Quote by Jacob Baldwin
if youve been playin nine years you should be able to master it with ur eyes shut and arm behind your back

bull****. i've been playing a year and i'm pretty sure it's still above my abilities.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Quote by Jacob Baldwin

So you can play it perfectly then and sound just like the original recording?
shred is gaudy music
I can play the tapping part... sort of... The second half (where he starts moving down the fretboard chromatically) is a bit tougher, I have to practice moving my left hand while tapping.

I can do some other parts, but not really. Just that trilled lick :31 seconds in. I can sort of do the beginning, but not exactly the same look. And it's mutiliated when I do it; I can't really control my tremolo picking.

And Ive been playing about 18 months.
Quote by ortrigger
bull****. i've been playing a year and i'm pretty sure it's still above my abilities.

its called practice
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by socomser
Hey Guys,

HOW HARD IS ERUPTION?

Thanks.

most of it is actually quite easy. some parts are a little tricky but most of the tapping parts are pretty simple actually. i used to think it was the most amazing thing ever until my friend showed me how to tap. then i was like "oh....its not as hard as i thought it was." i didnt even know what tapping was before that. i thought it was all picked lol.
Hey could I play it, I've only been playing for 3 years. This is sad, but the hardest song I can play is Bat Country.... By Avenged Sevenfold for all the idiots who dont know who that song is by.

P.S. I Can do the tapping part already.
My Revenge Has Just Begun.
Quote by Jacob Baldwin

To play it very sloppy yeah. If you want to play it properly, with well-timed tapping.. that's gonna take a lot more than a few months.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I would think it'd take more than just a few months to get it up to speed, cleanly.
Quote by Jacob Baldwin
its called practice

its called...SHUT UP 08'er.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Quote by ortrigger
its called...SHUT UP 08'er.

I suppose this is the part where I'm supposed to go "SHUT UP 07ER", but I have a brain, and a report button.

Eruption is measured as being 5.2765 on the Hard Scale.
Call me Batman.
Quote by GuitarMunky

So you can play it perfectly then and sound just like the original recording?

Well that's a little extreme isn't it? Most people don't own a vintage Marshall Plexi...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by GoDrex
You don't need a vintage Marshall to play it the same way and make it sound right. I'm sure he's not talking about duplicating the exact tonal characteristics of the recording. I bet you knew that too but were just playing dumb about it.

He said exactly; I'm taking him literally because he seems to be assuming that they all mean they can play it exactly the same as the original which I doubt anyone can any more (even EVH himself is too much of a mess right now); as far as I'm concerned if all the notes are in the right place then the rest is personal style; I don't want to hear an exact duplicate because compared to developing your own distinctive style that's quite easy.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ouchies
Not even eddie does it exactly the same !

He could though. he just chooses to expand on it.

the point is, if your going to say something is easy, or basic...... you should be able to play it.
Im pretty sure no one that has posted so far, that said it was easy.... could actually play it authentically.

Id love to be proven wrong though.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
He could though. he just chooses to expand on it.

the point is, if your going to say something is easy, or basic...... you should be able to play it.
Im pretty sure no one that has posted so far, that said it was easy.... could actually play it authentically.

Id love to be proven wrong though.

i dont think anyone can play anything exactly the same as a recording no matter how easy it is. they arent EVH and they didnt record that song. and actually no, he could not make it exactly the same. you're asking something to be done thats just absurd. no one can play something the same every time. there are too many variables involved. we are humans not machines.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i dont think anyone can play anything exactly the same as a recording no matter how easy it is. they arent EVH and they didnt record that song. and actually no, he could not make it exactly the same. you're asking something to be done thats just absurd. no one can play something the same every time. there are too many variables involved. we are humans not machines.

that's not entirely true. i've heard pieces done on piano's that sound exactly the same every time. with guitar and some other instruments though, you are right. there is too much stuff you have to worry about like intonation, keeping tempo, even just the weather can affect the sound of guitars.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Quote by ortrigger
that's not entirely true. i've heard pieces done on piano's that sound exactly the same every time. with guitar and some other instruments though, you are right. there is too much stuff you have to worry about like intonation, keeping tempo, even just the weather can affect the sound of guitars.

well yea i guess with piano it might be a little easier. but even then, you'd have to get the volume and tempo the same. which i doubt will be 100% but id imagine it'd be easier than on guitar. because with guitar tone can vary so much with the amps, pedals, the strings, how you pick, how you fret, etc...
Quote by jakewynnrocks
dude, 9 years and 4 hours a day? i have no doubt you could. i can play most of it and ive been playing for only 3 years...

but does it sound anything like evh?
Page 1 of 3