Well, I have a Squier Fender Strat and a G-Dec Junior from one of those starter packs. Yeah, I know they are horrible. These are like my first guitar and amp and I've been playing for like 10 months. And I have a couple of questions revolving new guitars and amps. I'm into a wide range of music but mostly things such as Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Cream, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, etc.

1. Should I save up for an American Standard Strat (about 909.99 at my local store) or get a MIM strat? (I believe I have about $620.00)

2. Or, should I get a new amp that actually has like clean tones (the G-DEC is horribe because it's like different "styles" such as metal, hotrod, blackface, and stuff like that) If you think I should get a new amp, can you give some suggestions?

Thanks for reading and the help!
i wouldn't go for the strats unless its a custom shop strat...but thats just my opinion. i don't really like the modern strats.

as for a new amp, a blues junior or blues deluxe would work pretty well!
Yeah i've looked into the blues junior, it's like 429.99 which would make me basically broke. lol. I'll see what others say, thanks.
If you're doing one or the other, amp first. It's more of your sound. And even if it's not as good quality, at least it's leaning in your musical direction. I'd just like to say good choice on wanting to save up for a strat, because that's definantly what you need. If you could do both, that'd be pretty awesome. There are some nice MIM strats out there. Make sure to get a tube amp. I actually had a G-Dec, and recently had the same problem as you. I recently bought a V18 by crate: I wanted the 3-band EQ, and i liked the better sound compared to smaller models, just seemed..deeper.. I guess...about $330 i think, way louder than i'll ever need, unless i eventually start gigging and stuff, wich is a far way off, believe me. I've got a flashback fuzz to give myself an option of two generally different overdriven sound, one from the pedal, one from the amp, and it gives me pretty much all I need.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Thanks for the help guys. I'm leaning towards the Blues Junior. Getting the strat would be the hard part because I really don't have any income.
A Blues Junior would be pretty good for your style. Getting a new amp first is better than getting a new guitar; Amps can make bad guitar sound good, but Guitars can't make bad amps sound good.
Quote by RPGoof
A Blues Junior would be pretty good for your style. Getting a new amp first is better than getting a new guitar; Amps can make bad guitar sound good, but Guitars can't make bad amps sound good.

+1 Wow good analogy man. Thanks.
I'd try and fit a fuzz/overdrive/distortion pedal of some kind into that budget, because from what i've heard of it, the overdrive isn't very great. The cleans, and kind of blues-rock semi-ovedriven stuff is amazing, don't get me wrong.. But Some Van Halen, and some Led Zeppelin kind of stuff.. I guess maybe an overdrive pedal? Don't listen to me too much, though, I've only played it once.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Well, I've been looking the Blues Junior for a while, not just from your mention. And I do have a pedal but it's not too great, it's a Zoom G1x, so you don't get a lot of distortion. Also, I don't play much Van Halen or Led Zeppelin.
Sounds like you'll be pretty well off, then. I'd still reccomend a fuzz pedal, meant to imitate 60's distortion pedals, for stuff like hendrix, though. For the price, my Flashback Fuzz works amazingly. Now if I only had the shop employee's 80's squier that i played... oooh...the sound....
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Nice...Yeah, I wanna get a pedal that I can fit into my budget, i'll look into that Flashback.
Oooh, but for Hendrix, and some other things, you might want a wah. I'd totally go fuzz first though. A wah pedal would be icing on the cake further down the road, since you're on a budget.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Look into an amp, as the amp equates for 80% or more of your tone.
Yeah, I'm not made of money. I looked at that pedal you have and read about it, and it sounded very nice. I also listened to some sound clips that were sick. In addition, I looked at the Digitech Screamin' Blues and that sounded pretty nice but that's more diverse and kinda heavier.
Also, it's just not the same blend of overdriven sound. I think you'll get all the variety you need from a fuzz+current pedal.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Yeah, the G1x i have gives a pretty good overdriven sound but i think if i had a good amp, a fuzz, and this pedal, I could get a pretty good sound.
+1 on MIM Strat as I think it is a great guitar for the money. But focus on the amp first. I took my strat to local shop last week and played thru a Blues Jr (with my pedal) for about an hour and loved it. It is now on my list.
Good luck!

;
After the amp I'll have like....200 bucks soo...that's nowhere enough for a guitar. But I definitely wanna get a Blues Junior and a fuzz pedal of some sort.

Not sure about the MIM strat, I would really rather have a American standard but they are ridiculously priced.