Page 1 of 2
I was thinking today, after hearing the song Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam that even though I can't understand a lot of the words in the song, I still really like it. It also made me think about lots of other songs that have lyrics that I can't always make out.

To me, it sometimes seems like the lyrics are just another melody over the rest of the song and it doesn't matter what words they are saying. I do believe that in some songs with great lyrics, ie. Pink Floyd and Zeppelin stuff, it does enhance the song.

Then, theres the whole idea of songs in different languages. I like the Mars Volta, and some of their songs are in Spanish... I haven't really decided how important lyrics are to me.. I guess it just depends on the song.

So, how important are the lyrics in a song to you?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
The most important thing to me. I can forgive bad solo's and mediocre melodies, but I really don't like listening to anything that doesn't have great lyrics.

Hence why I've been listening to The Doors non-stop of late .

EDIT: Which isn't to say that Robby and the others made bad melodies, I was just using an example....
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Last edited by Just Andrew at Apr 5, 2008,
The voice is an instrument. I don't pay much attention to the lyrics but I do listen to the melody and texture of a voice. Sometimes though I do read the lyrics to a song and I like them, I guess it all depends. I mainly listen to the guitar and drums though.
ima quote the great maynard james keenan here, 'music comes first, if it didnt, bands would be doing spoken word tours' something like that.....
Unimportant. Just an added bonus. Look at the song Hammer Smashed Face, you can't understand a damned thing, but the song is on a whole new level of awesomeness.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by keithmoon15
ima quote the great maynard james keenan here, 'music comes first, if it didnt, bands would be doing spoken word tours' something like that.....

doesn't mean the vocals aren't important.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I don't really care about the lyrics at all. If they're good lyrics thats always a plus, but if the vocal melody is sweet but he's singing about an evil koala bear that raped his sister with a rake, I'll still like it. And a lot of the music I listen to I can't really understand most of what is sung. I mostly just care about the sound of the voice as opposed to what it's saying. I'm willing to bet my left nut that I'm not the only one, and that most people that feel that way are guitarist/musicians/drummers.

(yes, I know, a corny drummer joke, but it had to be done)
Personally, I don't pay any attention to the lyrics of a song unless I really, really like them or hate them. For example, I love the Jimi Hendrix cover of All Along the Watchtower even more for its lyrics, but I can't stand some of the rap and country songs simply because they are so annoying to me. Otherwise, I don't care whatsoever and usually choose instrumental music.
Bill and Ted Fan Club Member #3. PM ollerom_mot or me to join.

"Let the Spirit guide your fingers."
Quote by SoccerRM1
doesn't mean the vocals aren't important.

Doesn't mean they're necessary either.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
i think lyrics are pretty important. i mean, if you had Slayer singing Fall Out Boy lyrics to their songs, they would probably suck.
i really don't pay attention to the lyrics at all. Vocals sound just like another instrument to me i guess.
Depends on the genre of music. Metal? Minimally important. Rap? Quite important.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
I usually just ignore what the guy/girl is singing about. The music I listen to (heavy/death metal type stuff) you can't even understand the screams anyways.
Vocals are very important. You guys wouldn't like half the band you do now if there was no lyrics. How boring would the world be if you could NEVER sing along to a song?
Not very much.

Iceman Edit:

Quote by PunkRockRAMONE1
Vocals are very important. You guys wouldn't like half the band you do now if there was no lyrics. How boring would the world be if you could NEVER sing along to a song?

Listen to some Russian Circles. Amazing instrumental band.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Last edited by iceman_8319 at Apr 5, 2008,
it depends on how good the song is. if it's a rap song with the same notes over and over again, or a punk song where it's very simple, the lyrics better be damn good, whereas if this is a metal song, usually the riffage is very complex, enough for the lyrics to mean absolutely nothing, but still means something to me. especially in like death metal, where it's growls that you can't understand. It doesn't even matter cuz it's the crunchying riffs, and the blasting double bass drums, and the evil sounding bass lines, and just the emotion coming out of a monotonous vocalist that makes it worth the listen.
No instument is essential what you like in your music is totally up to you. For example Jeff Buckley's You and I is just his voice and it's a haunting song. Where of the other side songs such as the schlinder's list movie song don't need vocals to express themselves. It's all subjective
Smile alot today... okay?
Quote by PunkRockRAMONE1

He said lyrics, not vocals.

The song Prologue by Renaissance has no lyrics, yet I can still sing along to the vocal melody.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Depends on the band, but for the most part I'd say lyrics are very important to me.
Of course there are exceptions to that, but generally I like a band with good lyrics.
Quote by PunkRockRAMONE1

Yea but when you sing along its more about the melody than anything else I think. Otherwise you could sing it anyway you wanted and it'd sound ****
What about connecting the song, guys? For just listening to a song by Pink Floyd or The Beatles, you can't really get really relate to a drum beat or guitar riff(well, you can, to an extent), it's what they're saying and how it can connect to your own life. To me, that's why lyrics seem really important to a song, but maybe that's just me...?
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
yea i dont really care wat the lyrics actually r just how it sounds with the song and how it goes in melody and stuff like that...and most of all how well they sing/scream
Quote by Dardarian
Go to your doktor. UG can't give proper medical advice.

Quote by DanRev
Because it could be a serious answer. What if someone was to make a thread "A song to tell my girlfriend that I caught a nasty STD off her best friend?" We'd all be screwed then.
Honestly, I read too much into lyrics, I guess thats a bad thing, but I care more about the sound than the words
for me, there's just something satisfying about being able to sing every word of a song (also playing every note), and I just dont get the same satisfaction out of a song that I can't understand, or one that has no lyrics.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
It depends on how good the music is. There's a lot of screamo songs I love even though I can't understand what the hell they're singing about. But more often than not, I'm into the lyrics of a song. There are songs out there that are just incredibly beautiful poems and it just hits you hard or fits your situation so well that it's freaky. This is probably why I find it hard to really appreciate technical death metal, I simply cannot understand it.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Lyrics are very important to me, a mediocre sounding song with great lyrics is a great song imo. But a great sounding song with cliche boring lyrics aint a good song.
Quote by kikaykitko
It depends on how good the music is. There's a lot of screamo songs I love even though I can't understand what the hell they're singing about. But more often than not, I'm into the lyrics of a song. There are songs out there that are just incredibly beautiful poems and it just hits you hard or fits your situation so well that it's freaky. This is probably why I find it hard to really appreciate technical death metal, I simply cannot understand it.

i can actually understand alot of those screamo guys actually...well not like the first time i hear but after a few times i can understand the song for the most part...idk im wierd like that
Quote by Dardarian
Go to your doktor. UG can't give proper medical advice.

Quote by DanRev
Because it could be a serious answer. What if someone was to make a thread "A song to tell my girlfriend that I caught a nasty STD off her best friend?" We'd all be screwed then.
If the lyrics are really stupid or cliche, I absolutely cannot stand the music.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Quote by guiatarist59
i can actually understand alot of those screamo guys actually...well not like the first time i hear but after a few times i can understand the song for the most part...idk im wierd like that

When I read the lyrics or the song and listen to it again, then I'll understand it. I heard you have to get used to listening to screamo to understand it right away. A metalhead here was trying to get me used to some death metal because I couldn't understand Nile. Not really working:p
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Lyrics are extremely important to me.
Sometimes though I just don't care.
Like with techno music or other more instrumental music.
I like a wide variety of music so some of the genres don't use lyrics or focus almost solely on them.
But overall they are very, very important.
Originally posted by TheBaron
I'm thinking you've got a beard...

Originally posted by Thornography
Okay well I want whiter teeth... and I would like to know if rubbing sandpaper on your teeth is safe or not.
it really depends like sum bands like blink i dont really care about the lyrics but a lot of band like maiden the lyrics are what make me like it a lot cuz yea
It depends on the whole song. Bad lyrics will make a shitty song even worse, but on some bands (e.g. VR's first album), they didn't really hurt.
I don't care about lyrics. As long as they're not immensely pathetic, such as the ones penned by the members of Linkin Park, they don't affect me in any way.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
it depends on my mood
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
sumtimes a solo or whatever can convey they meaning of a song gud

but take the beatles song obla di obla da like everone loves that song but no1 knows what obla di obla da mean so shhyea
The only instance I wouldn't listen to a song for it's lyrics: the song promotes racism.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Page 1 of 2