Its basically using a solid state pre-amp section and having a power tube to drive it at high volumes.

Honestly, its not all its cracked out to be, except for the vox Valvetronix
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
I'm assuming you're talking about the Peavey technology. It's OK, but gets worse louder the amp gets. Don't believe the hype.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
It's actually pretty good. Not anywhere near tube standards. But it's superior to digital stuff,

I like my Rage a lot.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I think transtube is the general technology where a solid state amp simulates tube breakup when you turn it up high.
I know that Peavey uses the transtube name, Marshall has valvestates, and there is probably countless others.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
its pretty good. i have no clue how it works--go to the Peavey website for that, but i can vouch that it works damn good. I use my Studio Pro 112 and my lead guitarist uses an all tube Laney half stack, and at times i can overpower him
its actually not too bad. its possible to get some decent tone(but not gig worthy) tone from them without pedals. bandits and rages are fairly underrated, imo
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by Teh GIR
Its basically using a solid state pre-amp section and having a power tube to drive it at high volumes.

Honestly, its not all its cracked out to be, except for the vox Valvetronix

No, there are no tubes involved at all. It's one of the better $300ish SS amps. I like my 110 alot better then a Valvetronix.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
There are no tubes involved with Peavey's line of Transtube amps. It's all in the way they designed the amps. The power amp section responds to the preamp, as you crank it up your sound becomes more compressed.