Im thinking of getting some tube pedals..compressor, echo, OD etc. Has anyone tried playing through several..do you find you max out on tube saturation or does the tone get enhanced? Obviously i would be playing through a tube amp in the first place.
Alot of the tube pedals are a gimic. It takes alot of juice couple hundred volts to run a tube right. And stomp boxes running off 12 volts dont usually cut it. Never had one never wanted to pay the premium price of such gear. There are some out there you can build and try. But if you have a good tube amp most analog stomp boxes will do just fine.
Quote by Tackleberry
Alot of the tube pedals are a gimic. It takes alot of juice couple hundred volts to run a tube right. And stomp boxes running off 12 volts dont usually cut it. Never had one never wanted to pay the premium price of such gear. There are some out there you can build and try. But if you have a good tube amp most analog stomp boxes will do just fine.

Correct, tubes in pedals do fuck all for your tone
Quote by Tackleberry
Alot of the tube pedals are a gimic.

Yeah, that's my take, too. Seems pretty suspicious to me that EHX got by without a single pedal without a tube in it until they became a tube manufacturer themselves. Now they have a dozen (or more). Coincidence? I think not.

I had a 70's Hot Tubes, which was an awesome analog overdrive pedal. Now all of a sudden the same pedal needs a tube in it?

It's BS, AFAIC.

Just get pedals that sound good.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Yeah, that's my take, too. Seems pretty suspicious to me that EHX got by without a single pedal without a tube in it until they became a tube manufacturer themselves. Now they have a dozen (or more). Coincidence? I think not.

I had a 70's Hot Tubes, which was an awesome analog overdrive pedal. Now all of a sudden the same pedal needs a tube in it?

It's BS, AFAIC.

Just get pedals that sound good.

I know a guy who makes tube pedals, specifically a tremolo - however they run at 200 volts
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I know a guy who makes tube pedals, specifically a tremolo - however they run at 200 volts

I'm sure that's a different animal. I'd love to try one out. Tube tremolo, ftw!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
A lot of tube pedals are running in starvation mode since they're not getting the proper amount of power to really put the tube(s) to work. It's pretty much a marketing hype. Tube + pedal = higher price

Quote by steven seagull

I used to know the guy who modded Satch's Marshall's (when he was using Marshall amps). His custom pedals and preamps were pretty damn amazing. I almost bought the last 3-tube preamp he made for only $300. They sounded incredible, very similar to a hot rodded Marshall.
Quote by slatsmania
I'm sure that's a different animal. I'd love to try one out. Tube tremolo, ftw!

Apparently he based it of the tremolo circuit in a Watkins Dominator, runs off a single ECC83 and doubles as a straight boost/preamp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Guitarmiester
A lot of tube pedals are running in starvation mode since they're not getting the proper amount of power to really put the tube(s) to work. It's pretty much a marketing hype. Tube + pedal = higher price

I used to know the guy who modded Satch's Marshall's (when he was using Marshall amps). His custom pedals and preamps were pretty damn amazing. I almost bought the last 3-tube preamp he made for only $300. They sounded incredible, very similar to a hot rodded Marshall.
As a very general rule, if a tube pedal is at 9v then it will be very likely to get all its tone from SS components unless it is using a 12AU7.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Everybody wants tubes now so the market simply fills the need. Whether they work or not isnt relevant. If people will buy it then they will sell it. Most of the ones Ive seen use a LED to light the tube up to give the impression is doing something. Ive seen a few designs that are actual tube preamps. But they are usually home made and have a 110 power cord plugged into em. Save your money just buy some decent analog stuff or look into some of the kits out there to build your own. I got a real nice compressor from BYOC that you can change the chips inside to suit your tastes.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I am pretty sure that the Damage Control line of tube pedals are run at high voltages. Same with the Ibanez Tube King (I think thats the name). Those are probably really nice sounding.

I've had two Ibanez Tube King pedals in the past. They're powered by a 9V power supply and run in starvation mode. The US version sounds a little grittier than the Japanese version, but you do notice a difference when swapping the tube in that pedal. A 12AU7 definitely sounded better than the stock and various 12AX7's I tried with it. I wonder how the new Ibanez reissue of the Tube King sounds. Hopefully it doesn't sound as bad as it looks.
[knows nothing about electronics]

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think would happen if you hooked up one of those gimmick tube pedals to an appropriately powerful power source?
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
[knows nothing about electronics]

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think would happen if you hooked up one of those gimmick tube pedals to an appropriately powerful power source?

The components in the pedal might not be able to handle it. Idk because I am slightly clueless about electronics too.
Quote by Guitarmiester
I've had two Ibanez Tube King pedals in the past. They're powered by a 9V power supply and run in starvation mode. The US version sounds a little grittier than the Japanese version, but you do notice a difference when swapping the tube in that pedal. A 12AU7 definitely sounded better than the stock and various 12AX7's I tried with it. I wonder how the new Ibanez reissue of the Tube King sounds. Hopefully it doesn't sound as bad as it looks.
That's because at 9V a 12AX7 runs very inefficiently in starved plate mode, and at 9V a 12AU7 runs in space-charge mode. 12AU7s as a rule sound better at 9v than AX7s... Gawd knows why manufacturers continue to use them...
Guys, just because a pedal has a 9v input doesn't mean the tube is getting 9 volts. All of the EH tube pedals I've opened up have transformers inside and are running the tubes at exactly the same voltage they'd be getting in an amp (that does NOT imply they sound good though). Starving the plates to a degree is also a perfectly reasonable use of a tube and is sometimes used in amps as well. It's a good way to get more distortion at lower volumes, which sometimes you want in a pedal- it's not as dynamic as a fully juiced preamp, but it is definitely a legitimate means of getting tube distortion.
Just my two cents on the technical side.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Apr 6, 2008,
^ How does that work? You'd need to to transform DC upto 200v+ :S
Very interesting responses thanks. i just know i really liked the EHX tube compressor and tremelo, the guyatone echo and the guyatone metal monster. I know they are problematic but if there is any way round the power problems etc let me know
Quote by MrCarrot

Yup, open up an english muff'n sometime. It's got I think a 250V transformer- definitely sufficient.
Quote by MrCarrot

Is that a problem? You'd just have less current travelling through the tube.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
just like solid state pedals, tube pedals can be good and can be bad. the vox valve distortion is quite poor considering its price. On the other hand my blackstar distortion is about the best distortion ive heard imo. tube distortions are not as easy or cheap as solid state ones. this however does not mean that they arent worth it.

if ug pretty much only approves of tube amps why is it different for pedals? i think that both solid state amps and tube pedals should be given more of a chance on ug.
Quote by no_thing101
just like solid state pedals, tube pedals can be good and can be bad. the vox valve distortion is quite poor considering its price. On the other hand my blackstar distortion is about the best distortion ive heard imo. tube distortions are not as easy or cheap as solid state ones. this however does not mean that they arent worth it.

if ug pretty much only approves of tube amps why is it different for pedals? i think that both solid state amps and tube pedals should be given more of a chance on ug.

cheers for that
Quote by Roc8995
Guys, just because a pedal has a 9v input doesn't mean the tube is getting 9 volts. All of the EH tube pedals I've opened up have transformers inside and are running the tubes at exactly the same voltage they'd be getting in an amp (that does NOT imply they sound good though). Starving the plates to a degree is also a perfectly reasonable use of a tube and is sometimes used in amps as well. It's a good way to get more distortion at lower volumes, which sometimes you want in a pedal- it's not as dynamic as a fully juiced preamp, but it is definitely a legitimate means of getting tube distortion.
Just my two cents on the technical side.

i was thinking re this power debate...does it help being in the uk (we get 240v mains)
Quote by SteaminGeezer
i was thinking re this power debate...does it help being in the uk (we get 240v mains)

nope. you can only run so many volts through a tube before it fries, and it's run through a transformer first so the tubes are getting exactly the same voltage, current, everything. My marshall is actually from the UK and I just have to plug it into an outboard transformer so it gets 240V. BTW, you guys have ugly electrical sockets/plugs
Quote by Roc8995
nope. you can only run so many volts through a tube before it fries, and it's run through a transformer first so the tubes are getting exactly the same voltage, current, everything. My marshall is actually from the UK and I just have to plug it into an outboard transformer so it gets 240V. BTW, you guys have ugly electrical sockets/plugs

dude dont fornicate with electrical equipment its extremely dangerous