So over the past few months I've been spinning Kind of Blue, A Love Supreme and Round Midnight quite regularly. But today I picked up The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, and goddamn this shit is blowing my mind! I mean Trane and Miles Davis are great, but this is actually so fucking unreal! I mean it sounds almost like classical music mixed with an Alfred Hitchcock film score and of course, jazz. So cool, I can't wait to delve even further into the world of jazz.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

My favorite 2 jazz musicians are Mingus and Monk
Quote by Doolittle
Man, I hear that!
Check out Mingus Ah Um. It's real amazing.

Seconded. One of his best.
The world needs more Mingus.

My recommendation, for something a little different, is Charles Mingus presents Charles Mingus: A really cool live album, later in his time, closer to free jazz than his better known stuff. The take of Faubus Fables has the lyrics and is just unreal.
Quote by Doolittle
Man, I hear that!
Check out Mingus Ah Um. It's real amazing.

This. But then you can't really go wrong with any of his stuff.

<3 Fopp for having a bunch of his stuff for £5 at the moment.
Alone in a Godless universe, and out of Shake'n'Vac
I just bought a mingus record...
^Which one? First impressions?

Some Mingus can take a few listenings to merely understand, let alone discover his textural genius.
Fables of Faubus is one of the best songs ever. It's just perfect.
Quote by Nick_

Some Mingus can take a few listenings to merely understand, let alone discover his textural genius.

With Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, I wasn't too interested initially, but after a few months I like it a lot more.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by Nick_

Blues and roots
B&R is from the same era as Ah Um IIRC (just months apart I think). If you're really liking its sound, pickup up Ah Um too, it's Mingus' best known (although for the top of his studio work I prefer Black Saint)

It can be said that a mark of excellence in music is how well it holds up to repeat listenings. Albums like KoB are such revered classics because you can listen to them a thousand times and keep hearing new things. Mingus pushes this further; he sacrifices accessibility because you have to listen repeatedly for it to seem cohesive but once you do it becomes very rich.
Quote by Nick_
^ Have you heard it with the lyrics?

I listened after your first post, and I really enjoyed it. He has a great voice.
Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

Read autobiography
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
I haven't heard Haitian Fight Song in ages

*looks for it in comp*
Quote by pumpkins_rule
But today I picked up The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, and goddamn this shit is blowing my mind! I mean Trane and Miles Davis are great, but this is actually so fucking unreal! I mean it sounds almost like classical music mixed with an Alfred Hitchcock film score and of course, jazz. So cool, I can't wait to delve even further into the world of jazz.

I will second everything that you have said, and to this I will add - this is something that Igor Stravinsky may have scored if he was on acid and stumbled into a jazz club in some pre dawn chaos.

First time I'm hearing this music too - ****ing unreal boys.
Wine. Dissertation. Mingus. I've had worse nights
Alone in a Godless universe, and out of Shake'n'Vac
I just got this 10 cd box set his called Mysterious Blues for $20. Its not the best sound quality, but hey, its Mingus baby!

And how bout Tijuana Moods, you can really visualize what he was going for on this album.
Quote by opivy21
Fables of Faubus is one of the best songs ever. It's just perfect.

that's my favorite jam hands down