I'm not an expert with tubes by any means. First real tube amp.
Rectifier recording preamp and 2:100 mesa power amp, lopo 2x12 with Celes T12-100's

Some folk on antother forum are telling me to get better tone out of my amp, I need to have it very loud. Loud to the point where your ears will start hurting. To get around this volume increase you use a hot plate and then you can crank your amp and get all of that sweet tube tone without killing your ears.

Now I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend almost $400 on one of these attenuators as they are called.

I play mostly at home. I do crank the thing up sometimes, but it's so loud I can't really turn it past 7:00 or what would be 1.

What do you think? Anybody have experience with these. Everyones telling me I got a sick unit here and that it would sound crappy at low volumes. Now when wife and baby are home, I basically run it on almost 0 and when I turn it up when nobody is home it seems to get a lot more harsh or bangy. I have it on vintage setting. Gain cranked, treble 3:00, mid 1:00, bass 11:00 presence maxxed.

Any ideas or help is appreciated.
Hell no! Forget the Hotplate, and go with a Weber Mass.

Tons of features, for next to nothing. That, and they're hand made in the US by the one and only Ted Weber. Love mine to pieces.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Well, you could have avoided some of it to an extent by getting a smaller poweramp that a 100 watt one.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Was told it was the loudest thing in the universe so I bought it

It's designed for the preamp I have with the modern switching and all.

Weber Mass?
Which one do you suggest? Obviously a 4ohm since that is what my cabinet is. Speakers are 8ohm, but wired for 4ohm and I don't use both sides of the amp yet. But I suppose I could get a stereo one since I'm getting another 2x12.

Hows the reliability on those? THD has a good track record. don't know weber at all.

What do you think?
Quote by captain_james
Was told it was the loudest thing in the universe so I bought it

It's designed for the preamp I have with the modern switching and all.

Weber Mass?
Which one do you suggest? Obviously a 4ohm since that is what my cabinet is. Speakers are 8ohm, but wired for 4ohm and I don't use both sides of the amp yet. But I suppose I could get a stereo one since I'm getting another 2x12.

Hows the reliability on those? THD has a good track record. don't know weber at all.

What do you think?

That's the beauty of the Mass - it can be used with multiple amps, because almost (if not all) of Ted's attenuators have an impedance selector switch, for 4, 8, and 16ohm.

In addition to that, they have treble compensation - it's a 3 position switch that lets you select either a 6db, 3db, or 0db treble boost to make up for the tone sucked up by the attenuator.

Trust me on this one. The Mass series of attenuators are absolutely amazing. They're much, much better than any of THD's stuff, and for the money, are probably comparable to the Dr. Z Airbrakes, and Ultimate's.
Now it's 1984
Would either, the THD or the Mass be better suited for Metal?

Does one suck the tone up less than the other?

Not saying you don't know what your talking about, it sounds like you do, and I certainly don't
Quote by captain_james
Would either, the THD or the Mass be better suited for Metal?

Does one suck the tone up less than the other?

Not saying you don't know what your talking about, it sounds like you do, and I certainly don't

For metal, it really wouldn't matter - but the Mass does sound better, and it does have an absolute TON of features, and they are cheaper than Hotplates. The reason being, is that the THD Hotplate uses a resistive load, which sounds much less natural than the Weber, because instead of using a resistive load, the Mass uses a speaker motor. So, instead of plugging into a tone robbing dummy load, you actually have a reactive load that reacts like an actual speaker.

I used to use a Hotplate, and it sounded like somebody tossed a blanket over my speaker cab. The Mass does the exact same thing - but with the treble compensation, it totally makes up for it. With the switch in the 6db position, it's like the attenuator isn't even there.

I didn't take it that way - don't worry.

The Weber is just better in every single aspect, and packed to the absolute brim with features.
Now it's 1984
Last edited by diditfortehlulz at Apr 6, 2008,