I wanted to buy an esp ltd m-200fm that has an agathis body with maple top. I was wondering how much body wood matters when it comes to electric guitars. If it is very important, could you recomend a good ltd for me? thanks.
you'll hear both ways but honestly all that really matters is good pickups and a great amp
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Body wood is important, but if you have a good amp you'll sound good regardless. Perhaps, save up about 100 dollars more, and go for an alder guitar if it's bothering you.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
my friends and i always put Bareknuckles in our guitars as soon as we can.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
body wood totally makes the sound of your guitar.
for example, mahagony has a much warmer sound than a hard rock maple body
to Dervish:
Yes! It's like asking if you should change flat tires if the engine is running your car.

TS, it's really important actually. Wood is the biggest factor IMO.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Would agathis be considered a good tone wood? I've played alder and basswood and like those two, but I can only really hear the difference when there set on a clean amp channel.
Very important. Especially if you use passive pickups. I don't know why but thats my experience. Plus good wood plus great passive pickups is the best tone ever. Mahogany sustains a lot more than other woods. Another thing is the construction. My neckthrough guitar and set neck guitar, sustain more than all my bolt on guitars.
Quote by dervishguitar
Would agathis be considered a good tone wood? I've played alder and basswood and like those two, but I can only really hear the difference when there set on a clean amp channel.

There are various qualities of agathis. It can go from horrid to really good. Same goes to basswood. The safest in my opinion are alder, and mohagony, which are more consitent.
Agathis is mediocre. Most budget guitars use this or plywood. My favorite is basswood since I play lead and don't really want br00tal metal tone coming from ex. mahogany.

Alder is neither bright nor warm, but leans a bit treble. Fender Strat
Basswood is warm and smooths out high ends. Ibanez RG
Maple is really bright, used as tops sometimes. Some Fender Teles
Mahogany is really warm, and most metal guitarist prefer such for rhythm. Too many...

Quote by nyandres
There are various qualities of agathis. It can go from horrid to really good. Same goes to basswood. The safest in my opinion are alder, and mohagony, which are more consitent.

would you recommend taking the risk because I am desperate for a new guitar and that's the only decent one with a floyd rose I can afford right now. I've also decided to stick with esp until I can afford an ernie ball music man john petrucci signature.
Yes, but not very much. Only really expensive guitars come with maple tops that are thick enough to actually affect your tone. Remember tops may look all nice and stuff but some exotic wood tops have crap tone.

Quote by dervishguitar
would you recommend taking the risk because I am desperate for a new guitar and that's the only decent one with a floyd rose I can afford right now. I've also decided to stick with esp until I can afford an ernie ball music man john petrucci signature.

Is it an official floyd rose at least?

Also keep in mind that the floyd rose, will also eat a lot of sustain.
JP signature is the most sterile guitar ever, not saying that's good nor bad. The only thing attractive on it is the blessed floating synchronized tremolo!

Quote by nyandres
Is it an official floyd rose at least?

Also keep in mind that the floyd rose, will also eat a lot of sustain.

yes it's officially liscened by floyd rose

I don't mind if I lose sustain
Licensed =/= official aka ORIGINAL. Most Licensed Floyd Rose stocked on guitars suck. The only licensed FR that are good are Schallers.

Quote by SQHero
JP signature is the most sterile guitar ever, not saying that's good nor bad. The only thing attractive on it is the blessed floating synchronized tremolo!

I've tried one of these in quebec. I still have yet to see a better sounding, looking, and playing guitar than that one. The next thing on the list would be a mesa boogie dual rectifier road king
Quote by dervishguitar
yes it's officially liscened by floyd rose

I don't mind if I lose sustain

licensed floyds are not the original floyds. They are made by other companies and usually suck major ass. Yet some are really good, and better than the non-licenced Original FLoyd Rose. If I was you I would chose a different guitar. Better wood, and no floyd rose.
Don't get me wrong about JPM sounding sterile! I LOVE it! Btw think ENGL before going M/B.

The sound is really... how you say... ok, the tone sounds awfully identical playing clean and distorted. Any EQing will come out the same on the EBMM for some reason (not amp reason). ENGL is a German amp company.

Quote by dervishguitar
What do you mean by sterile? ENGL?

ENGL makes the best amps. They do some of the best cleans in the market, and they have by far the best high gain sound in the market. And they do everything in between rather well. However, something about marshalls JCM800 still wins me over.
JCM is classic baby! You can't really NAIL the sound of classic albums with some other amp, close... but not exact.

JP fan huh? Get ALL his gear here http://johnpetrucci.com/gear.htm

Quote by SQHero
JCM is classic baby! You can't really NAIL the sound of classic albums with some other amp, close... but not exact.

I don't intend "recreate" or "emulate" anything. Just reinvent if you will. I've found a style, now i just need the gear to execute.
Nothing wrong with copying your favorite guitarist's sound IMO. I'd almost kill for JP's tone in The Glass Prision or Glasgow Kiss.

Quote by SQHero
JP fan huh? Get ALL his gear here http://johnpetrucci.com/gear.htm

He's had a while to get all of that and see what's good or not. I can't get all that now anyways, I'm only 15. I can tell you one thing. Limitations suck balls.