Ok, right now I have a 38W SS Fender Frontman, and considering I play mainly thrash, this just isn't cutting it for me. So, I was just going to look at the 5150 combo, because it seems to fit my needs pretty well. But...

I got fired from my job(It's ok, I was only a dishwasher). Now I have 450 US dollars, and I want to know what tube combo between 15-50 watts would fit my needs. Mainly metal, some cleans, may be gigging in the future, and I want the amp to last. Thanks for the help in advance.
You might be able to find a 5150 combo for that much, I be thinkin. Probably will need a bit more though.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Mudhippy2011
Ok, right now I have a 38W SS Fender Frontman

38 watt Fender Frontman? Are you sure it's not the 10 watt Fender Frontman? It might say 38 watts in the back, but that input power, not output.

Anyway, I say go for the 5150. You can get them pretty cheap used in USA.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
It says 38 watt on the back, and it is much bigger and louder than any 10 watt I have ever seen.

I wouldn't mind going used, but I can't find one that wouldn't cost under 600(with S&H). You guys have any recomendations for other amps or where I can pick up a cheap 5150?
Take a look at the Peavey Valveking and if you can get some more money, the Randall RG50TC.
Quote by Mudhippy2011

I wouldn't mind going used, but I can't find one that wouldn't cost under 600(with S&H). You guys have any recomendations for other amps or where I can pick up a cheap 5150?

Have you checked Ebay and Craigslist (if it can be used where you are)? If you can't get it anywhere, do you have any birthdays or other income nearby? Because I believe the 5150 is a pretty good amp compared to the next best amp you could get. Something like a B-52AT112 wouldn't be bad tho, or Randall RG50TC (also Peavey Valveking with an OD pedal).
Quote by Mudhippy2011
It says 38 watt on the back, and it is much bigger and louder than any 10 watt I have ever seen.

What's the model name? If it's something like a FM10 or along those lines, it's a 10 watt FM. The input power is often a lot higher than the output power, so I'd guess it's a 10 watt version (haven't heard of a 38 watt one). But nevertheless, I don't think it really matters. You might get a few bucks if you sell (maybe you could use that to get the 5150). Frontmans don't sell for too much second-hand tho, I'm afraid.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I just got a new PEavey 6505 combo for $700 on clearance from guitar center. Absolute steal and sounds great. I didnt really even take the time to totally tweak my settings and I already had such a good thrash tone So Good!
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC1000 (w/ EMG 81 and 60)
ESP/LTD H500 (w/SD Custom 5 and 59)
Fender MIM Strat (basically my first. Never play it.)
Traynor YCV80 4x10
Peavey 6505 2x12 combo

Half Stacks are OVER-Rated
What do you think about the Peavey vk 112? I was looking at the thread where it was modded, it looks good to me. I have heard that it isn't reliable though, anyone else hear that?
well, the valveking isn´t that bad but i don´t think it will last that long. the cleans are okay but they sound pretty flat in my opinion. the distortion is okay but nothing special..
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
hell i play thrash and im looking at a peavey windsor it only has one channel but it has that 80s thrash sound i heard and i was also looking at the vk
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.