I have a piece of plastic above the strings on my bass, and I use it to put my thumb on. Is this a good way of playing? All of my idol bass players do not have/use this device (John Myung, Geddy Lee, Cliff Burton). Is it good technique to use this? What advantages/disadvantages does using this have?

pepsi
They are used by many old-school (read: prehistoric) Bassits... but most modern players prefer not to have them because "muting with the thumb is an essential part to playing."
Well it's not always feasible to mute with your left hand. Like when you're string hopping.

However, that's not to say you have to use your thumb. I usually use my index finger on whatever the lowest (in pitch) string I'm using is in a phrase, then use my middle finger to play the strings above, and use my index to mute. It's kind of an odd way of doing it, but point is, I use my pickup as a thumbrest, so yeah, if it's your style then go ahead. But remember that one day you might expand into some more complicated stuff, and might decide it's time to use your thumb to mute on some things.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
I don't mute with my thumb ever and I get on okay. Also, the "prehistoric" bass players RockDJ seemed to be referring to would actually have a tug bar, or a thumbrest on the opposite side of the strings. They would grab the bar with their fingers and then play with their thumbs.

Anyway, playing with the thumbrest is fine, even if not done a lot.
I have a bass with a thumb rest--sometimes I use it, sometimes not. The only disadvantage I see with one is that it gets in the way of slapping.
A thumb rest? I've never seen one in all my days...I don't see why you would even put one...when the the pup is a prefect thumb rest anyways.
I personally use the pickguard by the bottom of the higher horn as a thumb-rest.
Quote by The Sallad
A thumb rest? I've never seen one in all my days...I don't see why you would even put one...when the the pup is a prefect thumb rest anyways.

Not if you use a P-Bass. That pickup is a pain in the ass to rest your thumb on.
It's fine, most people rest their thumb on the pickups. It's basically the same thing. Also, I've never really seen anyone mute with their thumb before. I've seen people rest their thumbs on the E and A but never muting.
Quote by Zycho
It's fine, most people rest their thumb on the pickups. It's basically the same thing. Also, I've never really seen anyone mute with their thumb before. I've seen people rest their thumbs on the E and A but never muting.

I mute my E string with my thumb very frequently. I find it a lot easier than trying to mute with my left hand while playing on the higher strings. Same with A but not as frequently. And when I play my fiver I rest my thumb on the B string at all times, But thats just me.
your idols do infact use thumbrests, they just lay within their E, A, and D strings.

basically, no bassist I've ever seen plays with fingers without balancing their thumb on something. I see no disadvantage of a thumbrest, if thats where you're comfortable playing.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!