yup, so im buying a laptop for recording.
i also add in midi on the odd occasion so i was thinking it would be swell to use garage band. it only comes on mac, so i was thinking of getting a macbook, or a macbook pro.
but then again, would a windows based laptop be better?

i was use cubase, audacity, garageband (maybe), fruity loops, and guitar pro.

keep in mind that i have a friend with everything thats needed to make a mac have the whole dual operating systems thing and have windows as well.

also multi track live recording would be a plus to record gigs n **** out of the desk.

so what type of laptop should i get, and anything that i should look for in particular?
macmacmacmacmacmacmacmacmacmacmac
MACATTACK!!!

But yeah, mac
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
i have an Imac so yeah
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

what is your budget and what are you planning on recording?

If you want portability without a PC, go with a MTR. You could probably get a real nice MTR for the same price as a mac laptop.

Personally I would never use a laptop to record, they can hardly be updated and are not as fast as a desktop, dont get me started on how noisy the fains in them are so they bleed into the mics....

Macs are fine and all but I personally like the PCs, they work well for me and are nice in price.
If you want to multi track, go for a firewire itnerface. The Mackie Onyx Satellite is a nice little unit to start out with and PS has some larger interfaces which 8 mic inputs.

BTW, audacity is a fine program but also consider using Reaper, its the same price and has a lot more control, you can also multi track with this program, Audacity wont let you multi track since its more of an editor.
Quote by moody07747
what is your budget and what are you planning on recording?

If you want portability without a PC, go with a MTR. You could probably get a real nice MTR for the same price as a mac laptop.

Personally I would never use a laptop to record, they can hardly be updated and are not as fast as a desktop, dont get me started on how noisy the fains in them are so they bleed into the mics....

Macs are fine and all but I personally like the PCs, they work well for me and are nice in price.
If you want to multi track, go for a firewire itnerface. The Mackie Onyx Satellite is a nice little unit to start out with and PS has some larger interfaces which 8 mic inputs.

BTW, audacity is a fine program but also consider using Reaper, its the same price and has a lot more control, you can also multi track with this program, Audacity wont let you multi track since its more of an editor.

he truth's the speak
seriously, get a desktop and you have more power for less money. Plus Imac desktops are about as portable as a desktop gets as everything is in the screen
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Well i'm using a macbook pro atm,but to get good recording you've still got to buy extra progs,and they cost alot more.(the macs,i mean..)
okay, i plan on recording mainly guitar parts, and vocal parts. to give to my drummer who does the rest of it.

my budget is...

i have $1700 in my band and mum is willing to shuck in about $700. that puts me up to $2400. i heard macbook pros are like $2500 but i can just save more.

mum doesnt want me to spend that much, cause she is afraid it will get stolen or broken or something.

so the macbook will probs be my best bet. at $1800 or less i think.

what is a mtr?

edit: how much is an imac?
Last edited by HethaHORRIFIC at Apr 6, 2008,
Apple Macs much? If you can, use a desktop though. As has been said less money=more power, IF you buy correctly.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
MTR - multi track recorder.
http://www.tweakheadz.com/multi_track_recorders.htm

For $2400 you can get a nice setup but dont put so much into the computer part of it...
you still need mics, cables, interface, monitors, programs...they cost a lot too. The mics will be the biggest on the budget list.

I suggest getting a destktop, PreSonus FireStudio Project, some condenser mics, a drum mic set, and cables and stands. You could probably go with KRK RP8 monitors.

If you were to go with an MTR you would need monitors, cables, mics, and the recorder but the FX and such are built into the MTR...

Overall I would stick with the desktop and software, build a PC from parts and make it as best you can for your budget...$800 can get you a nice setup with Dual core around 3.0GHz
imacs i think are a couple hundred cheaper than macbooks and have superior specs so yeah, they are a win
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

okay. so i already have everything i will ever need with mics, stands, cables, desks,.
my dad is a professional sound guy.

i had a look at the imac. is it heaps better than a macbook? cause it is deffinately cheaper.

also i have an Mbox interface that i bought off a friend for $30.

its sposed to be used with pro tools right?
can it be used with anything.

also what would be the aus price for an imac?
If you have the audio gear, get a nice interface and build a desktop PC. That should give you a great setup which will last a good amount of years.

that little mbox will work with standard ProTools but not ProToolsHD. Im not sure how many mic inputs you have but if you have an acoustic drumset its best to use at least 3 mics, two overheads and one kick...
i wouldn't say heaps better, but definately better, and u can get more RAM for quite cheap. I think the Mbox only works with Protools but i could be wrong.
dunno but Aus price but i got mine for about 2000 NZ
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Ultimately, the computer doesn't matter unless you must have a certain audio program that's exclusive to Macs (Pro Tools HD for example), since they can dual boot. It's all about your budget and which interface to get. Moody's advice is solid, so I don't need to repeat it.
I'm going to disagree on the laptops being noisy. Most laptops (and their components) are designed to be quiet and draw little power. If you have a noisy laptop, it's either a hot rod "desktop replacement" laptop (excessive cooling system etc) or something is wrong with it. Like your cooling system is plugged with dirt and causing excess heat. Or even your hard drive is making more noise as it gets ready to die.

Any who my Dell Latitude is whisper quiet, and has never bled into any of my recordings.

To address the OP. Buy what you're comfortable using. Both platforms have similar offerings for software. Most all hardware will be cross platform.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
yeh i love macs so much i just got one this summer and its great for recording you can plug in or use mic so you can use the midi and all i would say yes get the mac book