hi
i need some points on fiding scales and key of the song
but not as usual regarding to selfplaying
for ex i take my guitar start palying randomly with no scale and key in mind
but suddenly i find the piece that its good and sounds right and beautiful but i cant expand it and find the next notes
how can i find scale and key of that short piece so i can continue expanding it?
well you find the notes you are playing and see if it fits into any scale so you might want to look at the lists for different scales
Gear
Fender MIA Stratocaster (Sunburst)
Vox AC4TV
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yahama FG730S
well, to find the key you have to think "okay, with what note does this song 'resolve' ?" by resolve (sorry if you already know this), with what note does this song feel like it could end? this is the key of the song usually, almost always actually. once you know this note, you can begin to solo in that key, but you have to be somewhat familiar with the scale on the fretboard. to keep expanding it, and avoid staying in the same box/position, start improvising. but when you improvise, rather than going to the next string when trying to hit a certain note stay on the same string and keep going up the neck. this will allow you to learn where the notes of the scale are on the strings and allow you to link them during solos. hope that helped and made sense. i'm a little drunl right now, so i won't be surprised if it doesn't. maybe somone else can clear it up for me.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
hmm.. why not before u improvise.. try to find a key and a scale to improvise in. then u wont have to figure out which key/scale ure in later on
thanks for great tips
so the best way is to find intervals between those notes and then find the fitted scale?
seems a little time consuming looking through most scales
and is it possible that it does not fit inoti any scales?
Quote by dimebag1d
thanks for great tips
so the best way is to find intervals between those notes and then find the fitted scale?
seems a little time consuming looking through most scales
and is it possible that it does not fit inoti any scales?
bolded text is gonna be what helps you most.

Some notes can be dissonant notes(or if you like Dimebag, a lot of notes). But your melody or lick should fit into a general key or scale.

It is time consuming - that's why learning the fretboard and your scales(esp. what notes make the scale) is so liberating!
But for now, try this site http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php
Hope it helps.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination