Page 1 of 9
hi all. i just wanted to say hello. i was browsing around and found this forum and figured i'd share my build with everyone thus far...

a little insight first... i always wanted a les paul double cutaway (well, for at least the last 8-10 years anyway) but i never wanted to blow the cash on one - nor have i ever spent more than 700 bucks on a guitar seeing as i only play as more of a hobby than a drive to be some god-like shredder. I have a small collection of guitars, basses, a drum kit, full recording studio (yea... hobby... right... LoL) and i've always wanted to cut my teeth in woodworking (i'm a machinist by trade) so one day about 6 weeks ago i decided that I was going to use some of my soon-to-be-found tax return money and i went balls to the wall and bought a band saw, spindle sander, belt/disk sander, router, router table attachment, dremel tool with router base and enough tools to keep stewmac in business for at least another few months (lol). I ordered a mahogany blank on ebay along with a 1/4" thick bookmatched quilt maple set, matching headstock laminates, mahogany neck blank and pao ferro fretboard... i figured i'd try pao ferro just to be different.

I went to lowe's (roughly 100 times in the last 6 weeks), bought 1/4" thick plywood for templates and a .75" x 3.5" x 24" long poplar board (2 bucks) that i could use to make my first (although non-functional) neck to practice with, went on warmoth.com and found a picture of their LPS body that i put up on the projector at work, measured the neck pocket dimensions and traced the shape onto a piece of paper and once my stuff came in i just went to town on it... i've had some stumbles here and there but so far it's coming out well... I've also expanded my creativity and ingenuity by making/designing my own tools for certain tasks like making a DIY fret bender, a fret tang expander out of a pair of stainless steel radio shack nippers (stainless is relatively soft so a needle file works well) and a 2 dollar pair of harbor freight 4" end nippers turned into fret pullers... let me know what you guys think!!!

Thanks for listening to my banter... it's 6:30am and i'm wired up on iced coffee

Enjoy!

paper cutout:

http://a902.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/62/l_145967605449b62df56e4c2f1b94c02d.jpg

the humble beginnings of my woodshop complete with freebie laminate tabletop

http://a12.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/93/l_b4c8c9460cfcfcbc2b5186b91d02334b.jpg

first pile of "stuff"

http://a382.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/77/l_902ad4528a94b7c6cb4c3e35a71d10e5.jpg

my practice poplar "neck"

http://a982.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/115/l_6374571a62369bb8f0378321c39c7415.jpg

my cheesy looking quilted maple laminates - they were 12 bucks

http://a50.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/53/l_b74151830a48c603b34988b5c6d0ef51.jpg

my technologically advanced laminating setup

http://a776.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/114/l_688d01f855b27d53ec0e51d1046c7547.jpg

after planing the top... not bad for 12 bucks!!!

http://a414.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/16/l_cd68a23fcd23de8bebb37e4f852dcfdd.jpg

headstock laminate, truss rod channel cut

http://a17.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/30/l_8fc1c75c29a1cc3c5a3387ed1d83f9f8.jpg

my technologically advanced fretboard gluing fixture

http://a247.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/56/l_5287fd4afdfdaf7cdd6371ab0a76a756.jpg

after more body, neck and fretboard shaping. i did dot inlays but i then discovered that my friend (whom made me some radius blocks) made the blocks with a 6" radius and not a 12" radius (i guess his brain only works in diameter) i decided to do trapezoid inlays instead

http://a98.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/92/l_eecb563c8637a5c9b7ef82dc18f9f1d1.jpg

laid some parts out on top of the body... didn't install the inlays yet... this was the other night after i finished fitting the neck pocket (slightly clearanced due to finish build up on the neck) oh, and as a side note, i'm going to wind my own pickups... the bobbins you see are the stewmac zebra humbucker kit. i still have to make my reed switch/pocket calculator counter for my drill

http://a5.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/23/l_0f2bc626287ed8b1953025c4edeca6cc.jpg

which leads me to a question to all... i have to rout the trapezoid inlay slots into my radiused board... what's the best way to keep the router from rocking while i'm trying to do these inlays? i've been practicing on some scrap wood and i'm not having the best results (1 good out of 4) so i'm going to keep working at it... as of right now i'm scared to cut the real thing...

I hope you enjoyed my pictures... it's been a great time and a wonderful experience so far. i'm hoping that today (again, it's after 6:30am) i'll be able to get the control cavity routed and the holes in place and start shaping my headstock. i'm going for something similar to a PRS style headstock but not completely... i like the offset points of the PRS but my ibanez SZ has offset points too... i'll post more as it comes along... if y'all dont mind
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Apr 6, 2008,
really nice guitar...nice pictures.....shoould be awesome when finished

xD
kRazY kOp

My mates band- Shrill, Viridian Things

Check it out!!!!!!!! 3rd song down...soooo good!!

Gear;

Fender Squier Affinity Tele
Roland Cube 30X <---- a buckin frilliant amp :-)
i like it very nice work, where did you get the maple that cheaply
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
hi all. i just wanted to say hello. i was browsing around and found this forum and figured i'd share my build with everyone thus far...

a little insight first... i always wanted a les paul double cutaway (well, for at least the last 8-10 years anyway) but i never wanted to blow the cash on one - nor have i ever spent more than 700 bucks on a guitar seeing as i only play as more of a hobby than a drive to be some god-like shredder. I have a small collection of guitars, basses, a drum kit, full recording studio (yea... hobby... right... LoL) and i've always wanted to cut my teeth in woodworking (i'm a machinist by trade) so one day about 6 weeks ago i decided that I was going to use some of my soon-to-be-found tax return money and i went balls to the wall and bought a band saw, spindle sander, belt/disk sander, router, router table attachment, dremel tool with router base and enough tools to keep stewmac in business for at least another few months (lol). I ordered a mahogany blank on ebay along with a 1/4" thick bookmatched quilt maple set, matching headstock laminates, mahogany neck blank and pao ferro fretboard... i figured i'd try pao ferro just to be different.

I went to lowe's (roughly 100 times in the last 6 weeks), bought 1/4" thick plywood for templates and a .75" x 3.5" x 24" long poplar board (2 bucks) that i could use to make my first (although non-functional) neck to practice with, went on warmoth.com and found a picture of their LPS body that i put up on the projector at work, measured the neck pocket dimensions and traced the shape onto a piece of paper and once my stuff came in i just went to town on it... i've had some stumbles here and there but so far it's coming out well... I've also expanded my creativity and ingenuity by making/designing my own tools for certain tasks like making a DIY fret bender, a fret tang expander out of a pair of stainless steel radio shack nippers (stainless is relatively soft so a needle file works well) and a 2 dollar pair of harbor freight 4" end nippers turned into fret pullers... let me know what you guys think!!!

Thanks for listening to my banter... it's 6:30am and i'm wired up on iced coffee

Enjoy!

paper cutout:

the humble beginnings of my woodshop complete with freebie laminate tabletop

first pile of "stuff"

my practice poplar "neck"

my cheesy looking quilted maple laminates - they were 12 bucks

my technologically advanced laminating setup

after planing the top... not bad for 12 bucks!!!

Here. Much better.

headstock laminate, truss rod channel cut

my technologically advanced fretboard gluing fixture

after more body, neck and fretboard shaping. i did dot inlays but i then discovered that my friend (whom made me some radius blocks) made the blocks with a 6" radius and not a 12" radius (i guess his brain only works in diameter) i decided to do trapezoid inlays instead

laid some parts out on top of the body... didn't install the inlays yet... this was the other night after i finished fitting the neck pocket (slightly clearanced due to finish build up on the neck) oh, and as a side note, i'm going to wind my own pickups... the bobbins you see are the stewmac zebra humbucker kit. i still have to make my reed switch/pocket calculator counter for my drill

which leads me to a question to all... i have to rout the trapezoid inlay slots into my radiused board... what's the best way to keep the router from rocking while i'm trying to do these inlays? i've been practicing on some scrap wood and i'm not having the best results (1 good out of 4) so i'm going to keep working at it... as of right now i'm scared to cut the real thing...

I hope you enjoyed my pictures... it's been a great time and a wonderful experience so far. i'm hoping that today (again, it's after 6:30am) i'll be able to get the control cavity routed and the holes in place and start shaping my headstock. i'm going for something similar to a PRS style headstock but not completely... i like the offset points of the PRS but my ibanez SZ has offset points too... i'll post more as it comes along... if y'all dont mind

haha thanks a lot joel

and thank you everyone for the feedback

i got the wood from ebay... the guys user name is "burl.quilt". some of his stuff is so-so but i got the maple top solely for the price. i thought maybe i'd have to do some dying trickery to get the grain to pop but when i got it it was fairly flat (for 1/4" thick) and all saw cut. i had to plane the book matched edge and the next day i removed the clamps, hit the top surface with the plane to knock off some of the high spots and nearly fell to the floor with shock... the transformation after planing the top flat was just utterly amazing. again, some of the stuff is iffy - i bought 2 maple pieces hoping i could do a 3 piece laminate (maple, mahogany, maple) but the 2 pieces came in and they were different colors and really really rough cut with sawmill marks still left in them and big chunks missing. the headstock laminate i got from him too (6 of them for 8 bucks) and it was the same story as the laminate top - rough sawn to shape with beautiful wood lurking underneath the rough cuts. the drop tops and laminates are good... the neck woods i'd look somewhere else for. Doeringer's (another ebay store) is a wonderful place. the wood is cut, planed and jointed (my neck blank was parallel within .01"), the ends are sealed and the body blanks are glued, planed and ready for laminating or routing out of the box.
dude, for a first build, thats amazing! and the quilt maple is amazing to!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Wow, awesome first build!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
transparent emerald green. i'm going to put a very small radius around the top of the body and do a natural wood binding around it into a black finished back. here's the specs

25" scale bolt on neck
pao ferro fretboard 22 fret with (soon to be) trapezoid inlays
dual zebra humbuckers from stewmac (make your own kit)
stewmac Jimmy Page LP wiring kit (bridge p/u coil tap)
gotoh tuners and gotoh tune-o-matic bridge recessed into the body
string thru body ferrules
matching emerald green headstock laminate
dual action truss rod
neck ferrules - no back plate

i'm actually working on it right now... came up to print out another AutoCAD cavity template so i can get ready to rout the back cavity

Thank you all so much
That's a pretty good peice of quilt for $12, from what I can see

Emerald green sounds like it'll be very fitting to this shape.
Awesome.
I'll definately be following this.

edited for spelling....
wow man, that looks awesome so far!
when i get some money id love to do something like that.
keep it up, id love to see how it turns out
▲I had a friend once
►He took some acid
▼Now he thinks he's a fire engine
▲I had a friend once
►He took some acid
▼Now he thinks he's a fire engine

it's okay until he pisses on your lighter... kinda smells kinda cool, kinda funny anyway...

thank you all . i got the control holes drilled and the cover plate area routed i just have to smooth out the lines and hog out the cavity then ill post some more pics. i drilled and counterbored the neck holes but i hit a brick wall - seems i bought these brass plugs i wanted to use instead of just bolting directly into the wood but i tried them on a test piece and 1) one of them broke!! and 2) once i got one into the hole it was like nearly impossible to keep from chopping away at the hole once the screw driver went too far down...

i'm just gonna run out and get some pan head wood screws tomorrow from lowes so I can bolt it together the old fashioned way. I have a little bit of clearance in my neck pocket because I'm going to finish the neck as well... hope it's enough/not too much lol

im going to contour the neck joint a bit for more accessability and i'm going to put body contours around the back because i play sitting down a lot and the one thing i never liked about LP style guitars was they never sat right with me (no pun intended) when i sat down to play... i'll keep y'all posted. thanks for the kind words. it's got me motivated to get this thing done faster than i expected
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Apr 7, 2008,
for a first build that is amazing, did you cut the veneer yourself?

real nice, sound clips when its done

lol@u
the body blank, neck blank and fretboard blank were planed and sized. the maple veneers were saw cut to rough thickness and size but just saw cut. I had to find the book match, plane the edges flat and then glue them onto the body blank. considering my laminating equipment consisted of c clamps and freeweights it turned out alright. around the body the glue line is very hard to see but inside the neck pocket you can see a little glue in the join - guess i got lucky around the body edge

when i decided to do this project I had considered a premade kit... after looking into them and realizing that I've screwed guitars together already (refinished a 1967 goya rangemaster) I wanted to do something more challenging.

Warmoth had the LPS bodies (Les Paul double cutaway style) but they were way too much money for my taste so I decided to build the body and purchase a neck... until i started researching how to build one and realized that it's not really all that difficult so i took my chances. The fret slots are a little challenging but the physical neck itself is just a rasp and spokeshave away .

Then, after researching pickups I decided to try to build my own. I figure if i can make a body, build a neck, wind pickups and all that I'll have what it takes to become really good at my new hobby
To all of you asking about my maple top, go to ebay.com and look up a user by the name of "burl.quilt" he sells woods for all kinds of crafts and such.

The pricing is fair but sometimes the wood is really rough around the edges and requires extra work to get everything to match up correctly. The maple veneer and the headstock veneers I got were only saw cut and therefore did not show the actual texture of the quilt until I planed everything flat. I'm very happy with those pieces.

However, I also ordered 2 maple neck blanks that looked to be similar in color and texture in the photos and when I got them they were 2 different colors all together and they had chunks missing out of them from the sawmill and lack of planing which will require a lot of additional work to make them useable. All together I'm happy with my purchases from him but those 2 neck pieces will require some extra TLC.
How are you coming on with the build?? any new pics or info????
kRazY kOp

My mates band- Shrill, Viridian Things

Check it out!!!!!!!! 3rd song down...soooo good!!

Gear;

Fender Squier Affinity Tele
Roland Cube 30X <---- a buckin frilliant amp :-)
hey dont know if uve already sorted this but with the inlaying issue of it rocking on the radiused board then u can make this really simple jig to help
basically its two strips of wood (ot anything really) of equal height (taller than the board) taht u nail on to a board with enough space for the f/b to slip into the middle.
this gives u a flat surface to inlay on
they use to ahve a tut on stewmac but i couldnt find it
if this makes no sense pm me and ill try to explain it better
sounds like it makes perfect sense to me, Michael. I'd just have to put the neck up on some kind of blocks to keep it from rocking around on the table. Thanks!

As far as the build goes, I was away on business the past few days so I havent had much to report. I did, however, rout the control cavity out, made the cover plate and did a preliminary test of bolting the neck in place. I'm going to contour the heel and the bottom cutaway for better access to the higher frets and i'm going to contour the rear of the body a little because I like to play sitting down. This weekend i'm going to shape the headstock, rout the pickup cavities and drill the connecting holes for the wiring and (if i can find a 7/16" drill) bore and recess the location for the T-O-M bridge.

this last picture is with the pots bolted in place with the knobs on them but the pickup bobbins, bridge, inlays and string ferrules are just being laid on top to show what it will look like. i'm still very afraid to do the inlays... i made 4 practice inlays and messed up 3

Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Apr 12, 2008,
very nice, do i see a V being planned ?
are you not carving the body around the neck pocket, i see a line drawn on the 3rd picture ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
sounds like it makes perfect sense to me, Michael. I'd just have to put the neck up on some kind of blocks to keep it from rocking around on the table. Thanks!

As far as the build goes, I was away on business the past few days so I havent had much to report. I did, however, rout the control cavity out, made the cover plate and did a preliminary test of bolting the neck in place. I'm going to contour the heel and the bottom cutaway for better access to the higher frets and i'm going to contour the rear of the body a little because I like to play sitting down. This weekend i'm going to shape the headstock, rout the pickup cavities and drill the connecting holes for the wiring and (if i can find a 7/16" drill) bore and recess the location for the T-O-M bridge.

this last picture is with the pots bolted in place with the knobs on them but the pickup bobbins, bridge, inlays and string ferrules are just being laid on top to show what it will look like. i'm still very afraid to do the inlays... i made 4 practice inlays and messed up 3

hey man could you tell me what kind of les paul that is you have hanging? I'm looking for another knock off since i dont have the money to drop on a gibson and that one looks niccceeee
it's a Lark that I bought off of my cousin for 75 bucks. It needs a lot of TLC... the electronics dont even work anymore. It's a bolt on but it looks nice just hanging there

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
admbwr, The lines you see are "potential" carve lines for better fret access at the neck joint and along the side for better sitting down comfort. It's only a 1/4" thick laminate so I can't do a carved top so all of my contouring will be done from the back.

and yes, my next guitar is going to be a quilt top, natural finished king V. the piece of paper you see hanging on the wall is the sketch I made at work. i put a picture of a king v on the projector and traced it onto the paper. it's going to have black hardware and zebra pickups. i'm going to really flex my muscles with inlaying (after i find the gonads to do the trapezoid ones on my current build) and do iron cross inlays and white neck and headstock binding on it as well. or perhaps use little strips of maple... gotta see how things go.

Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Apr 12, 2008,
just routed my pickup pockets tonight. I made a template but the router kinda got the better of me in a couple spots but the trim ring will cover it up .

I also made the mistake of drilling a hole in the center of the relief areas instead of 2 small holes in the top and bottom... i had to chisel out the corners for the pickup base to fit... live and learn

I also started working on a headstock design... similar to a PRS but a little fatter at the top... what do you guys think?

My friend, I do believe you are my new favourite person. I like how you basically just came in and built a sweet guitar!! like yippi ki yay mother****er, and then you just rock.

good job, I like this build alot, good work man.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
My friend, I do believe you are my new favourite person. I like how you basically just came in and built a sweet guitar!! like yippi ki yay mother****er, and then you just rock.

LoL thank you I am so stealing this quote for my signature LoL

Yea, I don't think i'm doing too bad for not knowing what a plunge router was 7 weeks ago... i'm sure I could be a little more meticulous with things but oh well...

Quote by Øttər

HAHAH! Dude....YOU are MY new favorite person.
yeah lols! Thanks man I just watched die hard 4... that movie is the most intense thing since like... the big bang.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
yeah lols! Thanks man I just watched die hard 4... that movie is the most intense thing since like... the big bang.

Which didnt really happen....cause the universe was created by "someone".......

Yea that movie was pretty cool. It lacks the raw thrill of Die Hard 1 + 3 (neither had computer generated special effects).
Quote by dogismycopilot
Which didnt really happen....cause the universe was created by "someone".......

Yea that movie was pretty cool. It lacks the raw thrill of Die Hard 1 + 3 (neither had computer generated special effects).

Yeah 1 + 3 were the best, 2 sucked though. And you jusrt cant beat Samuel L Jackson...

As for the whole big bang thing... the two types of **** I never discuss at a dinner table are religion and politics. And this is one big dinner table. I'm gonna leave it at that....

and... buddha FTW! just kidding.

or am I?

naw I'm just kidding.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
^I learned about Buddhism and its cool.

If you dont believe in the idea of a higher individual, why not believe in the betterment of yourself?

I love Buddhism.
hmm... thats a totally awesome way of looking at things.

+1 to you sir.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo