I brought my Guitar in for a Truss Rod adjustment and Intonation about a week ago. When I went there to get the guitar, the guy said it was perfect. So I played it in front of him and I realized that it still buzzed when I did. So the guy messed around with it tightening the Truss in an attempt to get rid of the Buzz. It didn't really do much, but I didn't care anymore about the buzz at that point.

Just a bit ago I realized the Action was kinda high in the middle of the neck. So I took a closer look and I can somewhat visually see that the action in the middle of the neck (8th Fret-ish) is pretty much as high or higher than the action at the 20-22nd Fret. I took a ruler and measured it by marking the bottom of the string to the fret board on the ruler. It seems that the action is about .2-.3mm higher in the middle of the neck than it is on the 20-22nd fret. Does that mean that the neck is bowing and I should try tightening the Truss Rod? Or is that okay?
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Get a GOOD and PROFESSIONAL tech to look at it.
After the truss rod is correctly adjusted, and the action and intonation set, I'm sure you should be right.
Quote by Moe.
Get a GOOD and PROFESSIONAL tech to look at it.
After the truss rod is correctly adjusted, and the action and intonation set, I'm sure you should be right.

Well, the intonation was done correctly, except on the low E...

I might as well try to do it myself, I've lost faith in music shops... Haha.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Necks can be pretty tricky if you dont know what youre doing. Go with the pros on this one, but feel free to ask them to show you how to do it. Its always good to learn that type of stuff.
You can see for youself if it's bowed by sighting it down the line from the headstock.

Some of these guys doing set ups think it's all about the truss rod, when it's not. You set a proper relief with the truss rod, and if the action is still "not right," you check saddle height and the nut, things like that.

It doesn't help that a lot of players want super low action these days, in my experience. I understand why they want it, but it kinda screws with intonation and sustain.
Quote by BaffAttack
You can see for youself if it's bowed by sighting it down the line from the headstock.

Some of these guys doing set ups think it's all about the truss rod, when it's not. You set a proper relief with the truss rod, and if the action is still "not right," you check saddle height and the nut, things like that.

It doesn't help that a lot of players want super low action these days, in my experience. I understand why they want it, but it kinda screws with intonation and sustain.

But if it looks as I described, that means that it's too tight right?

Well, when I put a ruler (sideways, so it's straight cuz it has more rigidity) over the fret board reaching from Fret 1 to 22, you can see a gap gradually get bigger and bigger till about 7-9th fret where the gap between the fret is over .5mm, maybe 6mm. I can git a medium pick in between the gap loosely.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Last edited by Phry at Apr 6, 2008,