and I sadly discovered I play better than my brother
who has been playing for 5-6 years now
He was amazed at my sweep picking
and "powerful pinky"
Oh.. and I got kicka$# chick hands that give me impeckable reach

I like to play alot of Protest the Hero's and The Human Abstract's songs
None of their songs seem out of reach to me
(Except Protests new stuff... crazy)

My question, when did you start sweeping away?
I just think it's weird my brother doesn't know how to sweep pick..
(BTW: not calling myself a virtuoso. That was just for eye catching and clicking.)
Play for few years right now.
And I don't know how to sweep, and I think I'm not the only one...
Quote by soulflyV
I love the smell of *reported* in the morning.
Quote by MadClownDisease
I've always hated people using (Y), it just looks like an arse.
Am I the only one who gets pissed off by people like the TS?

As subtle as you try to make it, you're still bragging.

edit: Yes, I am bitter, because I can't sweep and I've been playing longer than you.
Who cares about sweep picking, sweep picking is one of those things i dont think i will ever try to learn. Who cares if you someone is better or worst as a guitarist? Playing guitar isnt a competition.
It all depends on what you decide to learn, your brother may not have been interested in sweep picking and therefore didnt learn it. But are there things that your brother can do? And yes I think you are subtly trying to make yourself look good.

Im in a similar sitaution myself and my friend's brother has been playing for like 6/7 years and ive been playing for 2 years ( 8 years of doing music) and asks me how i pull off all the stuff i was playing, but then i realisd that he is more experienced as a guitarist and there are things such as chords and hybrid picking that he can do that i can't, learn from each other. And being a virtuoso takes A LOT more than just sweep picking -.-. The players you see on stage like Satch and vai and Petrucci are more virtuosos. And playing for a year means you may know bugger all theory. Human Abstract are quite good but they use sweep picking far too much, constantly going up and down, does get a bit old.
I didnt like this thread, you bad man.
i've been playing 8 months and can play 3 string sweeps and a couple of full ones but not very well yet, and coincidentally i also play a lot of PTH and HA. but im terrible at other techniques alos, i just happened to put alot of time and effort in learning to sweep.
Last edited by Azrael` at Apr 6, 2008,
why is sweep picking always seen as the difference maker between a good and a bad guitarist. i doubt stevie ray vaughn knew how to sweep pick, but he was a great guitarist.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
why is sweep picking always seen as the difference maker between a good and a bad guitarist. i doubt stevie ray vaughn knew how to sweep pick, but he was a great guitarist.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was probably better than any guitarist who can sweep.
Quote by Remonster
Stevie Ray Vaughan was probably better than any guitarist who can sweep.

erm... NO!

He was an awesome guitar player, but so are other players who can sweep. Steve Vai, Jason becker, Paul Gilbert.
Come on guys, sweeping isn't THAT hard. It just takes patience to learn. I've been playing for 2 years now, and I've spent the last couple of weeks learning how to sweep. It's quite simple, but as said it just takes some time and patience.

To TS: I also used to think I was pretty good a year ago, and I was considering the possibilities of becoming a real virtuoso because both my brother and mother are virtuosos at the church organ. Well, I sucked real bad back then, and I'm a lot better now. But no way I'm a virtuoso.

Oh, and skill isn't measured in speed either. Being good at sweeping only makes you good at sweeping, nothing else.
Last edited by Dores at Apr 6, 2008,
I've been playing for 9 months or so, didn't actually get a metronome til 4 months ago. I messed around with sweeping 5 months into playing, I admit I felt like I was good at it, obviously I wasn't. I don't practice it regularly, sometimes I try basic 3 string patterns on the top 3 strings (because I have learned some theory and know the major, minor, and diminished shapes) but that's about it.

I'm focusing on alternate picking these days, just trying to master the basics. If I spent as much time on sweep picking as I have alternate picking I'd be pretty decent at it, but the point is that's only one technique.

Can you play arpeggios by string skipping? If so, are you proficient with inside and outside picking? How well developed is your alternate picking? What about your legato? Is sweeping the only thing you practice? There's lots of techniques, being good at one doesn't make you good, it just makes you good at that one technique. IMO at least.

edit: ^poster above beat me to it, the point I was trying to make.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Last edited by Baasoromyuu at Apr 6, 2008,
until you master every technique you need, master all theory you need to know and are able to beat rusty cooley or( personal faveorite guitarist) in a battle of improv and composition you're just a n00b who can sweep, right?

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
It's called natural aptitude. You may have learned sweeping very fast, and maybe even be decent at it. But most likely have trouble with basic things, or maybe things like tapping...or maybe actually using sweeps in your songs.
to be honest, you're a true virtuoso if you can play incredibly well and write fantastic songs too. the song writing ability is what stands out for me.

oh and singing helps too, that ups the virtuoso points as you can play (possibly play well) whilst doing something else.

true virtuosity comes from being an amazing musician IMO, not someone who can play fast.
warning: ego reactor of TS is growing exponentially, its becoming unstable, evacuate the thread, its going critical!!!

:| sorry, but seriously, sweep picking is a technique that helps you when playing some styles not all, so if you play something that doens't usually require sweeping, you may never learn how to sweep. So lets all chill out and play it doens't matter if you are a virtuoso or not. oh yea, its been said but sweeping does not = virtuoso
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
yeah sweeping does not make you a virtuoso. but it is one of the techniques that help you write interesting music. try sweeping with passing tones or use other chords like a m6+9 they sound so good. tap notes and stuff. you can really expand your playing this way.

i started learning sweeps after 2 years of playing.. but before that i focused on rhythm and basic playing of leads. everyone does things different.

and its not an ego thing but doing a 3 string sweep is not the hardest thing. try it with 7 strings or even 6 strings and do it really fast and really clean... then can you brag.
Quote by foo_diddles
until you master every technique you need, master all theory you need to know and are able to beat rusty cooley or( personal faveorite guitarist) in a battle of improv and composition you're just a n00b who can sweep, right?

You cannot "master" technique or theory; they are both ongoing areas of study that never end.

Quote by McBainZ84
yeah sweeping does not make you a virtuoso. but it is one of the techniques that help you write interesting music. try sweeping with passing tones or use other chords like a m6+9 they sound so good. tap notes and stuff. you can really expand your playing this way.

Being able to sweep won't help you make interesting music at all. The only thing that will help you make interesting music is if you can make interesting music. I think the best way to do this si to listen to as much different music as possible and some people may agree with that but being able to do a m6+9 sweep does not automatically equal interesting music; it just means you can sweep and memorize arpeggio shapes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
this is gay, you cant classify yourself as a good guitarist if you can effing sweep pick or not..

name the sharps and flats in every key or what a SWEEP REALLY IS- like basic music theory

or work on tremelo picking,

or cool stage tricks=)

kidding!

or stuff like that, sure sweeping is a great technique, but you cant say your an amazing guitarist because you can do 6 string sweeps... Work on theory and other tactics over a wide variety of approaches and styles, then come back and brag about how good you are.
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
I find threads like these every few days about people going

"Omg, I can sweep lawlz I prawn j00 n00bs"

Or

"Should I play this? I can sweep, alternate pick really fast and play like totz cleenly."

It's just an excuse for them to brag, and this thread is your excuse to brag.

If you're going to brag, at least post a video so we know you're not a n00b who thinks they can play cleanly.
Quote by XianXiuHong
I find threads like these every few days about people going

"Omg, I can sweep lawlz I prawn j00 n00bs"

Or

"Should I play this? I can sweep, alternate pick really fast and play like totz cleenly."

It's just an excuse for them to brag, and this thread is your excuse to brag.

If you're going to brag, at least post a video so we know you're not a n00b who thinks they can play cleanly.

+1

These threads need to burn in hell.

Too many people these days (and especially on these boards) consider this wonderful musical instrument some form of rabid competition. It's just not about the music anymore.
Quote by SnoDog
+1

These threads need to burn in hell.

Too many people these days (and especially on these boards) consider this wonderful musical instrument some form of rabid competition. It's just not about the music anymore.

THANK-YOU!

who gives a ****, are you having fun playing? then good! if its a "rabid competition" to be better then someone else, go pick up drag car racing!
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
some people want to learn to sweep some people dont with slow practice and patience anyone really can do it even if its just basic sweeps

EDIT-I added a t at the end of can in the anyone can really do it part :P
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Last edited by punk_metal2007 at Apr 8, 2008,
Am I a virtuoso?

No not really.

Can I sweep pick? Yes.
Well? not really.
Do I consider it a useful technique considering the type of guitar solos etc. I play? not really.

Be proud of yourself, and asking if other people here think they're virtuosos is a fine thing I guess. I don't consider myself to be all that excellent of a guitarist. On a scale of 1-10 I'd rate myself in 3.5 - 4.5 range. Ironically that's roughly how long I've been playing in years, but I wouldn't bet on me ever getting past about a 6 in my own book, no matter what anyone tells me I am...

I used to get the ego going like I was some kind of guitar god; then I'd always get shut down by someone much better than me in a guitar shop or at a jam session. I've basically learned that no matter how good I get at this instrument there will always be people better than me. I'm fine with that.

'Skill' on guitar is (largely) unimportant, what do with that skill makes a world of difference.
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']So, are you?

haha
Well I've been playing for a year now
and I sadly discovered I play better than my brother
who has been playing for 5-6 years now
He was amazed at my sweep picking
and "powerful pinky"
Oh.. and I got kicka$# chick hands that give me impeckable reach

I like to play alot of Protest the Hero's and The Human Abstract's songs
None of their songs seem out of reach to me
(Except Protests new stuff... crazy)

My question, when did you start sweeping away?
I just think it's weird my brother doesn't know how to sweep pick..
(BTW: not calling myself a virtuoso. That was just for eye catching and clicking.)

Please just go and die now.

People like you annoy me, get bent.

Cheers.

A Virtuoso is a person that has completely mastered their instrument, something I doubt even one UGer has done.

I think TS is an idiot

I third the "get bent" comment BTW
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Carswell98
A Virtuoso is a person that has completely mastered their instrument, something I doubt even one UGer has done.

I think there are at least a few UGers who can be considered virtuosos; just because someone isn't well known you shouldn't write them off.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Not even close.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
I`ve been playing for about a year or so. I haven`t really bothered trying to learn how to sweep pick. I`ve tried it before and can sometimes sweep with three strings but not continuously.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I think there are at least a few UGers who can be considered virtuosos; just because someone isn't well known you shouldn't write them off.

Maybe, I would consider a virtuosos someone who can play any genre thrown at them, someone who understand music perfectly, someone who plays for the love of the guitar (instrument), and perfect transcribing.

Although...Virtusos doesnt mean perfect musician, it's means a skilled one.
meh well the way i think about it is, being able to do all these pyrotechics and stuff is cool but it's not really that pleasing to listen to if your just chillin out. it kind of turns music into a competition, which never lends itself to good music. some advice: try to get to the point where you are singing using your guitar. your 'sweep picking' is useless if you can't ever put it in a good context. it's just woah look at me bwaaaaaaaaaaa
A fool is not one who makes a mistake, a fool is one who does not learn from it.
-me HAH!
Quote by Savage101
I`ve been playing for about a year or so. I haven`t really bothered trying to learn how to sweep pick. I`ve tried it before and can sometimes sweep with three strings but not continuously.

Believe me, after playing a year you wouldn't be a virtuoso even if you could sweep pick barring some act of God.

The ability to sweep pick does not indicate whether someone is or is not a virtuoso on the guitar.