Hi,

I have been playing guitar for less than a month now. I really like it and practice about two hours a day but at the moment I am very frustrated. I've got most of the basic major chords down, but when it comes to certain chords like F and scales like the Chromatic and Minor Pentatonic scale, I am completely sucking. I do it slow in order to get it down so I can then increase in speed, but its my third and fourth fingers which suck. They have no strength whatsoever and I just can't get them to go stretch/go where I want.

If you could give advice on that and maybe some pointers on other stuff I should be doing, that would be appreciated.
just keep trying
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
...I started making out with her, then started doing her from behind...

I said "You're a dirty girl aren't you Steve? ****ing on the first date?"

She shot forward and my dick flopped out and she said "Who the **** is Steve?"
You're doing fine - just keep practicing. Remember, you're asking your fingers to do stuff they've never done before, it's going to take them a while to adjust.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I am going to keep practicing and don't intend to give up. I really want to learn how to play this thing and am just a tad frustrated now, though I expect a lot of frustration just for this year alone.

I do watch my thumb and try to experiment with different positions to see what works and what doesn't. At the moment I am messing around with the instrument myself to get a general feel of it, but intend to get a guitar instructor in the next 2-3 months to get me on the right path and improve my technique (I'm sure I have and will continue to have some habits that need to be changed).

My finger tips have gotten stiff from practicing and I have these crevices in them from pressing down on the strings that won't go away. Is this normal?
Last edited by RapidFire1 at Apr 6, 2008,
Just bear in mind that, as far as the stuff you ultimately want to be playing, you're probably at the very least a year away, if not longer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Just bear in mind that, as far as the stuff you ultimately want to be playing, you're probably at the very least a year away, if not longer.

Oh yeah. I like to listen to a lot of what I consider to be good guitar music...stuff like Megadeth, Guns N' Roses, Buckethead, Malmsteen, etc. I don't expect to tackle that for a couple of years. What I am concerned with for this year anyway is just working on technique and getting the foundamentals down.