Hey everybody, I'm pretty new here and pretty new to the electrical guitar stuff. I've been playing normal acoustic/classic guitar for quite a while now. I just bought a new ESP f - 50 of eBay two weeks ago and tried to play some of the songs I wanted to play but couldn't do with an acoustic.

My problem is, I can't play. I don't even know how to use a pick! But thats not my main concern, (finger playing is much better anyways) my main issue is the electric guitar techniques. I'm really into J-rock, and I wanted to play a solo but it was either too hard or too fast.

What I want to ask is: On a guitar tab (Guitar Pro specifically) there is a thing called 'full' where you pull the string up to create a higher pitch sound. I somehow can't achieve that, it's either too low or too high and it doesn't make the right sound I wanted to play. I really suck at this :P

So would anyone give me any good advice for playing solos or even how to play an electric guitar :P

Thanks,
nezon
This is a signature...
:]
Quote by Nezon
Hey everybody, I'm pretty new here and pretty new to the electrical guitar stuff. I've been playing normal acoustic/classic guitar for quite a while now. I just bought a new ESP f - 50 of eBay two weeks ago and tried to play some of the songs I wanted to play but couldn't do with an acoustic.

My problem is, I can't play. I don't even know how to use a pick! But thats not my main concern, (finger playing is much better anyways) my main issue is the electric guitar techniques. I'm really into J-rock, and I wanted to play a solo but it was either too hard or too fast.

What I want to ask is: On a guitar tab (Guitar Pro specifically) there is a thing called 'full' where you pull the string up to create a higher pitch sound. I somehow can't achieve that, it's either too low or too high and it doesn't make the right sound I wanted to play. I really suck at this :P

So would anyone give me any good advice for playing solos or even how to play an electric guitar :P

Thanks,
nezon

You're not going te be busting out J-Rock solos for a good while yet, obviously a long term aim is good to have but you need to set yourself some achievable short-term goals to help you get there.

String bending takes time to master, you need to be able to hit the correct pitch consistently. The best way to do that is simply practice bending. Most bends will be a half or full step, so one or two frets. Therefore you need to practice bending to the target pitches. Pick a note, any note, then play the note you want to bend to and listen to it so you know the sound you want, then go back to your original note and bend up *slowly* to the target pitch, then when you think you've reached it go back and play the target note and see how close you were.

Just keep doing that for random notes until you get the hang of it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If i were you dude I'd just practice bending (what you refered to as "full") and work on hammer-ons and pull-offs, as those are essential electric guitar techniques. work on scales, speeding up your scales and other things and youll definatly get it =)

also, if you can get your hands on a copy of the Guitar World with Kirk Hammett on the cover (February 2008 issue) Dave Mustaine has a lesson in it about picking. hope it helps =)
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
I'd agree and say to set some quick but easy short term goals. Like learn chords, get basic techniques like bending, hammer ons/pull offs, and building up picking speed. Then
like start to take on easy songs (and just for curiosities sake, what J-Rock bands do you listen to?)
Last edited by Wakisazhi at Apr 6, 2008,
You're not going te be busting out J-Rock solos for a good while yet, obviously a long term aim is good to have but you need to set yourself some achievable short-term goals to help you get there.

String bending takes time to master, you need to be able to hit the correct pitch consistently. The best way to do that is simply practice bending. Most bends will be a half or full step, so one or two frets. Therefore you need to practice bending to the target pitches. Pick a note, any note, then play the note you want to bend to and listen to it so you know the sound you want, then go back to your original note and bend up *slowly* to the target pitch, then when you think you've reached it go back and play the target note and see how close you were.

Just keep doing that for random notes until you get the hang of it.

Ah so it's called bending, so what does half step/full step really mean? Thanks for the advice I'll practice right away.

If i were you dude I'd just practice bending (what you refered to as "full") and work on hammer-ons and pull-offs, as those are essential electric guitar techniques. work on scales, speeding up your scales and other things and youll definatly get it =)

also, if you can get your hands on a copy of the Guitar World with Kirk Hammett on the cover (February 2008 issue) Dave Mustaine has a lesson in it about picking. hope it helps =)

Quick questions, what exactly is a pull-offs and hammer ons? I think I know the basic of it, but I'm not quite sure what it means. Yeah, I've been practicing scales for a while now, thanks for the tips ^^

I'd agree and say to set some quick but easy short term goals. Like learn chords, get basic techniques like bending, hammer ons/pull offs, and building up picking speed. Then
like start to take on easy songs (and just for curiosities sake, what J-Rock bands do you listen to?)

Yep, I have set a goal to achieve thanks for the tip ^^
For J-Rock bands I like:
- Nightmare
- Gazette
- ALice nine

Those are the main ones I like, and what about you? (assuming your listen to them to)
This is a signature...
Last edited by Nezon at Apr 7, 2008,
Ah I listen to some Gazette, but mainly I listen to the pillows, L'Arc~en~Ciel, and ZEPPET STORE. And to answer your other question say you're bending at the 8th fret, if you bended half-step your note would sound like you're playing the note at the 9th fret and if you were to bend a full step it would sound like it was played on the 10th fret. Hope that helps.
Last edited by Wakisazhi at Apr 7, 2008,
In terms of bends, a "full" bend will play the same note as two frets up from where you bend. I.e. a full bend on the 5th fret will give you the note from the 7th fret. This is a full step. A half step - you've guessed it - is half of that, i.e 1 fret, so a bend on the 5th fret will sound the same as the note played on the 6th fret.

Easy way to get your bends right is, if you've got a full bend, play 2 frets up so you know what it should sound like, and then bend your string 'till you achieve that sound. It's all about training your ear.
Quote by Wakisazhi
Ah I listen to some Gazette, but mainly I listen to the pillows, L'Arc~en~Ciel, and ZEPPET STORE. And to answer your other question say you're bending at the 8th fret, if you bended half-step your note would sound like you're playing the note at the 9th fret and if you were to bend a full step it would sound like it was played on the 10th fret. Hope that helps.

Ah, I get it ^^ Thanks,

In terms of bends, a "full" bend will play the same note as two frets up from where you bend. I.e. a full bend on the 5th fret will give you the note from the 7th fret. This is a full step. A half step - you've guessed it - is half of that, i.e 1 fret, so a bend on the 5th fret will sound the same as the note played on the 6th fret.

Easy way to get your bends right is, if you've got a full bend, play 2 frets up so you know what it should sound like, and then bend your string 'till you achieve that sound. It's all about training your ear.

Ah I see, you don't really need an amp for this training correct? It's just that I haven't purchased an amp yet.
Thanks for the tip, approximately how long did it take you to master this?

Dude, just go on youtube and type in "string bending" or "hammer on pull off".

Yep, on it now ^^ Thanks
This is a signature...
It takes awhile
But you'll get there

Just try learning new songs that challenge you.
Not to hard though
But you'll do it within a year

And I listen to the Gazette and Vidoll
They have some really cool riffs. Really inspiring.
I just can't find tabs. =[
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']It takes awhile
But you'll get there

Just try learning new songs that challenge you.
Not to hard though
But you'll do it within a year

And I listen to the Gazette and Vidoll
They have some really cool riffs. Really inspiring.
I just can't find tabs. =[

Hmm, have you heard of this site? Jrock Tabbed

I have a question, how DO you bend? I looked up tutorials and they told me to have at least three fingers to support and use your hands to move the strings, can anyone care to explain this in more detail?

Heres the tutorial link: Youtube

Thanks guys
This is a signature...
Thanks for the site :]

You don't need 3 fingers
Maybe just two
Because you might only accomplish a pretty weak bend with 1 finger
But 1 finger is still useable

Just take any note. (Fret)
(Better to practice on the 1-3 strings)
Get the 12th fret (That should be any easy one to bend)
And just pretty much pull it up or down
Don't worry about strings snapping unless your pulling up the 2nd string all the way to the 6th string. lol