Hey, my band just won the first round of the Walkabout battle of the bands (no idea how, I thought we sucked).

My question is, what can we do to stick out in the next round?

We already have quite a different sound to most other bands, so I think we'll stick out a bit musically speaking. The main problem is stage presence and crowd participation; if you look at the kinda music we play ( Myspace ) we have quite a laid-back feel so we can't exactly be rocking out with our acoustics.

Any ideas?

Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
Hope every one is drunk before you play? It normally works?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i must say thats really good music and i would vote for you to win lol...i guess its just a case of confidence, stand forward and look like youre enjoying it, and play with lots of feeling..and well of course.
Dancing In Your Dust
Just be yourselves, your music is good enough to get you through.

Wear some cool clothes though like spiderman costumes or something i'd vote for the spiderman band if i was there...
Quote by corey3815
Man, you guys are excellent! Seriously, that's the greatest thing I've heard in a while. I see you guys like John Butler, maybe you guys could cover a song like Zebra and get the crowd to join in or something in the next round? Just a thought.

Yeah we cover Zebra sometimes, for the last round we did a cover of The General by Dispatch as the crowd will normally get involved but the crowd at the time (we went on first) was just made up of the other bands and when we got to the General we got one person clapping along but his bandmate turned to him, tapped him on the shoulder and told him to stop!

I don't think we'll do a cover next round as we were the only band there to do one, although we were the only band to win so maybe that helped.....hmmm maybe we will

Cheers for all the compliments guys

Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
You want to stand out? Be the band that doesn't do what all the others are doing? If you're an acoustic band use it, bring emotion to your play and lyrics and make the audience feel it.

Ever seen a band trying to make a crowd chant "death metal!" during a slow and heartfelt ballad?
Quote by STEALmyDOG
i must say thats really good music and i would vote for you to win lol...i guess its just a case of confidence, stand forward and look like youre enjoying it, and play with lots of feeling..and well of course.

Doing this is probably the most you can do.

Or you could hire a clown to make balloon animals on stage?
(just a thought)
Just in case anybody wondered, we won , and means that we now go through to the regional final in Swindon (if anybody wants to come down ).

Is anybody familiar with what kinda music goes down well in that area? With Newquay we were fine with doing a ''surfy'' type band cover; don't know if Dispatch or John Butler would go down so well there.

Any ideas?
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
I know there's been no replies over the past week, but just in case somebody's watching...we won the regional final so now we're into the grand final, and have a 1 in 5 chance of winning £5000 worth of equipment .........which is nice
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
great i hope you havent played ur best sog yet coz that shud be kept for the final, keep us updated!!!!!

and best of luck.
+1!

Ct
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Careful with gimmicks. Think of an early 80's band called Devo. The average person who knows who they are doesn't say, "Oh, yeah, they're the band that did 'Whip It.' They say, "Oh, yeah, they're the band that wore flower pots on their heads."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Yeah I think we'll manage without a gimmick; we're already "That band with the banjo"
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
If you can do a well liked cover... Either something classic or a one hit wonder that everyone loves but always forgets about.

But I like what I'm hearing on your myspace... Based on the vocal style maybe try some Modest Mouse, like 'Float On' or 'Missed the Boat'?
Well we made it all the way to the national final.....and lost .

I did talk to a guy from NME who seemed to like us, not because of our music, but because we brought a large, attractive crowd. He said that even if we were a crap band he'd still be interested because that's pretty much all they're interested in (although he did say we weren't exactly unattractive either ).

But I can't believe that that's actually how the music business works; I thought that was just the pop scene that completely relied on looks over music.

If any body's interested this is the band that won
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass