I was watching School of Rock (as usual) and in one of the special features Jack Black mentioned he was still learning electric guitar... I think he's a kickass acoustic guitar player, so why did he need to "learn" the electric?

I don't see why they're so different - well, yeah, there's a sound hole in the acoustic, and it's a little bit thicker, and the strings are slightly harder to depress, but in the end they both have the same number of strings and a fretted neck...

...so why did Jack have to "learn" electric if he was already good at acoustic? They're technically the same!

Electric is a lot more complex when you take into account the amp and getting the right tone. Also he'd have to learn how to solo since thats not something you'd typically do on acoustic.
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
Well, different techniques(spelling?) work better on electric than on acoustic and vice-versa. Example, you can't shred on acoustic(can you? xD). I'll let more experienced people answer this question, just saying that there are many differences.
It's the same instrument, but what you'd play on each one is very different.

Kinda like piano and synthesizer. They both have the same set of keys, but what you play on them is completely different.

And I think Jack Black just needed an excuse. Is he honestly 'really good' at acoustic?
well electric has all this other stuff you can add to it like a whammy arm and harmonics and is more shred oriented. acoustic is usually more chord oriented.
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
Well, to make a solo sound good on electric you often hve to mute strings as you go. That doesn't matter so much with acoustic.
Quote by sashki

And I think Jack Black just needed an excuse. Is he honestly 'really good' at acoustic?

Yeah he is pretty good, listen to Tenacious D's album.
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
An acoustic and an electric are played differently. You're not usually going to hear somebody soloing away on an acoustic like you would an electric player. Not to say it's impossible to shred on an acoustic, or solo on one, but they are generally left for less complex things. Simple blues, chordy stuff, fingerpicking, that sort of stuff.

Somebody who has played an acoustic all their life and then picks up an electric will have to adjust to a thinner body, string height, how hard they need to pick, and other things. There are also things that can be done on an electric that acoustics cannot do.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
for the lulz obviously
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.
idk i feel they are two totally different beasts :-\. Sure they have the same chords and notes but imo thats where similarities. You have to play rather differently on each to sound at all decent. The difference is kinda hard to describe but you feel it when you play.

Just my 2 cents.
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
a lot of it is rhythm differences, and chord differences. You don't normally use open chords on an electric unless the gain is really low or not at all. Also, I play rhythms differently when I'm going for an acoustic sound vs. an electric sound. Of course, when trying to sing too, all the rhythm difference goes out the window..but you know Idk
most of the d's guitar work is done by kyle anyway. That's how it works, Jack's the voice, Kyle's the notes. In fact, jack rarely plays guitar live at all.
When people make comments like this, they are usually refering to the styles of music typically played on one verses the other. In other words, the electric is used for rock, blues and jazz and there is a lot of articulation, string bends etc. in those styles. Acoustic is played in folk and classical.
Quote by Horlicks
Well, to make a solo sound good on electric you often have to mute strings as you go. That doesn't matter so much with acoustic.

Second that,
Also you don't worry so much about higher frets with acoustic. You hardly ever play the top few but with electric you often do for solos. Also you don't have to worry so much about minor mistakes on acoustic because it won't be heard as much. With electric if you make a minor mistake (for example touch a different string, if only slightly) it'll be heard in distortion. To add to that acoustic usually deals with chords over the whole set of strings. With electric you have to mute all the others or make sure you're hitting the 2/3 strings you need. (since more than 3 will start to blend under distortion)
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
THey are played very differently. In electric there are lots of bends and sort. In acoustic, you need to choose notes more carefully since it is the best tool in acoustic. In electric you can get away using techniques
Quote by Roookie
Well, different techniques(spelling?) work better on electric than on acoustic and vice-versa. Example, you can't shred on acoustic(can you? xD). I'll let more experienced people answer this question, just saying that there are many differences.

well, i can sweep pick, kinda do pinch harmonics and alternate pick rather well on acoustic, but its a lot harder than on electric

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
well, i can sweep pick, kinda do pinch harmonics and alternate pick rather well on acoustic, but its a lot harder than on electric

Pinch Harmonics on an acoustic guitar . Dude.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Quote by E V H 5150
You're not usually going to hear somebody soloing away on an acoustic like you would an electric player. Not to say it's impossible to shred on an acoustic, or solo on one, but they are generally left for less complex things. Simple blues, chordy stuff, fingerpicking, that sort of stuff.

What a load of crap.
Quote by BlackArmor
What a load of crap.

+however many blackarmor wants

cause he speaks the truth =P
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.
Quote by loxer
Pinch Harmonics on an acoustic guitar . Dude.

its not as hard as it sounds. I can do it pretty easily too. You really gotta dig in though.
Quote by E V H 5150
An acoustic and an electric are played differently. You're not usually going to hear somebody soloing away on an acoustic like you would an electric player. Not to say it's impossible to shred on an acoustic, or solo on one, but they are generally left for less complex things. Simple blues, chordy stuff, fingerpicking, that sort of stuff.

Shredding it is posible on acoustic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS